Page 13 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 7:03 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Ok, so maybe some use their "problems" as excuses, but many on here that I've paid attention to are actually incapable of working, at least full-time.

From my own experience.. I was not mollycoddled or sheltered any ANY way whatsoever. I was forced to go onto further education despite my social anxiety (known now, wasn't diagnosed at that point), and I still failed miserably. I got a job that was full-time, with ppl I couldn't relate to no matter how much I tried. I worked my arse off, moreso than my NT workmates, yet THEY were the ones kept on after the 6-month contract. The whole experience left me depressed, confused, exhausted and broken. I then got screamed at by my mother to get a new job and "do it right this time", so I signed onto an agency and got a contract in an office. It was a really easy job, but repetitive, and boring, and my ADHD tendencies came out. It made me even more depressed, I couldn't relate yet again to my coworkers, and I was bullied due to my placid and nervous (not to mention odd) nature. I had to quit. I tried, but it just didn't work for me or my mental and physical health. I spent a year with no work, but I decided to go to university, and failed that, too. I was living independently with two other ppl, and started getting abused by one of them, again due to my oddness. I couldn't handle the uni thing (independent study and I don't mix), and so I got even more depressed, to the point of wanting to die. I got into more debt than I should've done, due to the fear of phones and contacting ppl.

At the moment, I am working part-time as a barmaid and living with my partner. It used to be near enough to full time, but it caused me many meltdowns and I have to be asked to come in and help out if needed AT LEAST two hours before, so I can psyche myself up for it. So I'm working, but it drains me, and I can't do full-time due to EXPERIENCE of full-time jobs if I want to keep healthy.

So, Ticker, sometimes you CAN'T just "get over it". I tried. I still have to depend on my partner to ring ppl up for me. I still have to depend on ppl to help me with shopping. I still have to depend on benifits to help my monthly income. I apologise if my need for sanity annoys you.

Hmm. Try for a job in a library or an archives. In my experience, just about everyone who works in a library or an archives is "strange" by popular standards. Unlike the corporate world, they're allowed to have an actual personality, and aren't looked at askance if "keeping up with the Joneses" is simply not a priority for them. Curiosity, needing private time, and liking quiet are considered normal traits, not dysfunctional or abberant ones. Those who have no class, or are loud, ignorant, deceitful, distrustful of intelligence -- for want of a better term, people with poor white trash personalities -- tend to not even make it through the interviewing stage, let alone get hired. Due to this selectivity, incidences of hypersociality, backstabbing, and stupidity are very low.

On top of that, if you show up regularly and put in an honest day's work, you'll practically have to be screaming obscenities at people or setting fire to things before they'd fire you. Hehe.

It's all about finding your niche.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2007, 7:46 am

Danielismyname wrote:
40% of those with AS/HFA achieve "independence"; 2-15% over the whole spectrum (AS/HFA included).

The statistics aren't that "good".

Well, there is always the question of what independence means. But my regular definition, really, probably only about 40% of those that are NT achieve independence! Subsidies of various types only make it APPEAR to be higher.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2007, 9:58 pm

Parents routinely spend a lot of time and effort removing any trace of mental independence from their offspring. They reap what they sow when they get a perpetual child for their troubles. Then they gain a sentient being upon whom they can practice a lot of sadism.

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Nov 2007, 10:01 pm

Can anyone top this? 36, on federal disability and living with my mother.