Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:32 pm

Will we be the last autistic generation on planet Earth? Is the rapidly developing and progressing AUTISM GENOME PROJECT co-ordinated by the WELLCOME TRUST ( www.well.ox.ac.uk/monaco/autism ) the start of the widespread screening of embryos and the aborting or 'curing' of those found to be susceptable to ASD's. Is this the start of the complete elimination of a human sub-species that has given us hundreds of pioneers and leaders, thousands of lesser know engineers, mathematicians and artists, hundreds of thousands of ordinary, everyday decent people who just see things a bit differently. Is this the start of a programme of EUGENICS on a scale the nazis could only have dreamed of?...... Wakey!Wakey! People, some bad sh*t's going down here!

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:39 pm

Seems that conformity is what the majority wants, whether it's through drugs, lobotomies or, maybe, soon, fixing genes.

If they succeed, nothing will ever be invented again.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:43 pm

ZARATHUSTRA wrote:
Is the rapidly developing and progressing AUTISM GENOME PROJECT co-ordinated by the WELLCOME TRUST the start of the widespread screening of embryos and the aborting or 'curing' of those found to be susceptable to ASD's?

No. Next question.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

criss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:43 pm

are you involved in any non-violent resistance or any type of action plan ?

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

edal
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:45 pm

Eugenics can mean a number of things, some of them good. I know that I have AS but I also carry the gene for cystic fibrosis. I've therefore made the decision not to have kids and therefore played my part in the elimination of this horrible disease. If every adult who carries the CF gene made the same decision as me the disease would be wiped off the planet in two generations.

What they are thinking of doing is bad but please don't tar all eugenics activity with the same brush.

Ed Almos

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:48 pm

Autism Research Centre Cambridge lead by Prof Simon Baron-Cohen (One of the Good Guys) www.autismresearchcentre.com --- Research Autism, A uk based charity with high quality evaluation of scientific opinion www.researchautism.new.lk.com --- Autism Speaks UK, part funders of the Autism Genome Project www.autismspeaks.org.uk --- CAN! www.cureautismnow.org --- (Cure me and i'll kick ya in the nuts, MonkeyMan!)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Oct 2007, 3:50 pm

Like to make clear that I'm not fan of eugenics, but that I'm not sure a few Einsteins etc make up for all the Hitlers. And aren't ASDs now recognised as official disability because the vast majority of people with ASD are not having a nice time, are not having fun? ! !
I think it might be an environmental factor acting on the genes while child in utero or something. I don't believe can be as simple as a gene they could isolate to eliminate all ASDers , but I do hope that could find some way to reduce frequence and severity of ASDs in society , cos I feel as if have brain damage, do not appreciate at all being disabled and the isolation it causes.
Are people sure that it is only gentle eccentric geniuses who invent nuclear bombs who are result of ASDs, or could ASD in fact account for some of the worst black-and-white dichotomous thinkers of all time, some of the most extremist religious leaders , obsessed with pure logic and perfect categories totally inappropriate and destructive when applied to such a "fuzzy" subject as humans ?

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 3:54 pm

It should be noted that the research into finding genes causing ASD hasn't gotten very far - I think a large part of the problem is that you can't diagnose every person with 100% certainty, and that it might consist of several genetic components. The other week when I was reading the Schizophrenia bulletin at the library, I heard they've pretty much given up on finding genes responsible for this condition. And since ASD is pretty similar to schizophrenia, I don't think they'll get very far on this either, though perhaps it will be a little easier since ASD's are there from birth and the actual condition isn't caused by the environment.

They won't be able to "cure" anything in a very long time, but what saddens me is that they're getting our children started on so many drugs, we're almost at the point where psychiatry feels you require medication simply for having an ASD - pharmaceutical companies sure are pushing for this. These companies are messing up everyone's health with their drugs.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 3:58 pm

mmaestro wrote:
ZARATHUSTRA wrote:
Is the rapidly developing and progressing AUTISM GENOME PROJECT co-ordinated by the WELLCOME TRUST the start of the widespread screening of embryos and the aborting or 'curing' of those found to be susceptable to ASD's?

No. Next question.
WOULD YOU CARE TO OFFER A REASONED ARGUMENT FOR YOUR ASSERTION? IF NOT PLEASE GO AWAY ANE LET THE GROWN-UPS TALK IN PEACE. (TRY THE JERKOFF FORUM)

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 4:01 pm

mmaestro wrote:
ZARATHUSTRA wrote:

No. Next question.
WOULD YOU CARE TO OFFER A REASONED ARGUMENT FOR YOUR ASSERTION? IF NOT PLEASE GO AWAY ANE LET THE GROWN-UPS TALK IN PEACE. (TRY THE JERKOFF FORUM)

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2007, 4:03 pm

Some of us actively support Eugenics sir.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 4:04 pm

criss wrote:
are you involved in any non-violent resistance or any type of action plan ?
WHOA! U A FED?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 4:13 pm

Fedaykin wrote:
It should be noted that the research into finding genes causing ASD hasn't gotten very far - I think a large part of the problem is that you can't diagnose every person with 100% certainty, and that it might consist of several genetic components. The other week when I was reading the Schizophrenia bulletin at the library, I heard they've pretty much given up on finding genes responsible for this condition. And since ASD is pretty similar to schizophrenia, I don't think they'll get very far on this either, though perhaps it will be a little easier since ASD's are there from birth and the actual condition isn't caused by the environment.

They won't be able to "cure" anything in a very long time, but what saddens me is that they're getting our children started on so many drugs, we're almost at the point where psychiatry feels you require medication simply for having an ASD - pharmaceutical companies sure are pushing for this. These companies are messing up everyone's health with their drugs.

The main reason why they haven't gotten very far is they are not objective. There want there to be one sole cause of autism and be dammed if they don't find it.

btw don't feed the troll

Noa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2007, 4:15 pm

It appears that your capslock key is on. Please correct this.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2007, 4:17 pm

ouinon wrote:
... but I do hope that could find some way to reduce frequence and severity of ASDs in society

Some tolerance within society for the limitations and some respect for the strengths would go a long way.

Quote:
... cos I feel as if have brain damage, do not appreciate at all being disabled and the isolation it causes.

You wouldn't have existed had a eugenetic program existed before you were born

Quote:
... or could ASD in fact account for some of the worst black-and-white dichotomous thinkers of all time, some of the most extremist religious leaders ...

Nah, leadership would require excellent social and networking skills, not really a common ASD trait.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 4:18 pm

I have a theory about autism, that not all the wild animal genes in autistic people are turned off. A raccoon could be just as smart as a dog but the raccoon has more trouble being domesticated because of wild animal inputs interfering with any philasophical thoughts the raccoon might want to persue.

We all needed those hyper aware genes to survive in the past but now most NT people and dogs stopped using those genes. Just my theory.