Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 11:13 am

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/index.html
Radioheads' in rainbows album now available for download [although site isn't working at the moment at the time of writing this].
the band are allowing to pay as little or as much as want for it,and this includes paying nothing for it if want,no credit card details are needed when paying nothing for it.

got it the other day,paid nothing for it as have always hated everything had heard of theirs,apart from idioteque which had on a paul oakenfold compilation,sisters' boyfriend is a fan of theirs and he always got a lot of 'v signs' in reply to the radiohead stuff he had on from am,not anymore,with this album anyway.
mostly good..percussion too overpowering in places but overall,am like it.

anyone else heard it or going to get it?

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2007, 11:20 am

As a Radiohead fan, I have to say, sadly, that the concept of pay what you will is more interesting then the album itself, they kinda phoned it in this time. THough I do like Wierd Fish/Arpeggi.

mmaestro
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 12:54 pm

Well, I paid for the diskbox, so that probably tells you how much of a fan I am - quite a bit. I like it. Still not sold on the first couple of tracks, but I'm assuming there's some subtleties I've not picked up on yet. Most recent Radiohead's taken 3-6 listens for me to really get into it, so I'm still at that stage, it takes a while for me to be able to separate out all the different strands of melody, rhythm, and accompaniment due to how thick the textures of the music can be.
All that said, it's probably the "easiest" album since OK Computer to listen to, but still with enough depth that I think I'll enjoy it. Not their best, but I already think I like it better than Pablo Honey, The Bends, Amnesiac, and possibly Hail to the Thief also.

Oh! And as to the idea of people paying what they want? I think it's a great idea. Given distribution costs are virtually nil, and most people will pay something for the album, the band comes out ahead. Because the fans will pay a reasonable amount of money, and those who only throw in a couple of quid are still giving the band money. A sale for $1 is better than no sale at all when it costs you nothing more to make that sale. Most bands make most of their money through touring, anyway, so simply by virtue of increasing exposure and therefore ticket sales, I think it's a good move. There are rumours that in the aftermath Jamiroqui and Oasis will do the same. That works for me - I'd not buy either of their albums for full price, but I'm willing to spend a little on them, and then we both win - the bands get revenue they'd otherwise not have gotten, and I increase my music collection for little money.

Music of the Moment: Radiohead - In Rainbows

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 5:57 pm

Sounds great. I like Radiohead.

heylelshalem
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2007, 10:59 pm

radiohead packs huge arenas everywhere they tour. i think its wonderful that they did that. the greatful dead in their day was the most sucessfull toruing band EVER and they encouraged bootlegging knowing that A. its a good cheap form of promotion and B? its better then handing over the majority of the money to a record company. the sad fact is that an average recording contract only pays the artist about $1 a CD anyway.

im gonna actually buy the box-set probably, especially if there is a tasty vinyl record in it. i love the crackling warmth of vinyl.