Did anyone ever have an aversion to certain words?

Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2007, 2:44 pm

Yes there are many words I absolutely can't stand. Names, too.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 2:06 pm

Oh yeah, it regards SEX. It is e.g. the word "pregnancy", "sex", "virgin","virginity", and other things related to sex. I just just afraid of all of it, that´s all.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Nov 2012, 2:30 pm

Yes. For example, I can't bear the sound of the Italian world for "child" ("bambino" in Italian), without a particular reason.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 2:44 pm

Oddly enough my NT sister once told me she hates the words appointment and community for no particular reason.

I hate the sound of certain common girls names and have since preschool but I won't mention them here in case there are girls here with those names and it offends them.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 4:57 pm

I dislike words that can be pronounced in multiple ways, but only one is actually correct. Like plethora, decal, vagina, etc.. When I was a kid, I called a DEE-cal a DECK-ul for a couple of years before anybody straightened me out. Lots of times I've seen a word in a book but never heard anybody say it out loud, so I get embarrassed if I have to say it and don't know how to pronounce it correctly.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 5:24 pm

Slacks. My dad used to use this word and I don't know why but it makes me cringe.

I hate it when nuclear is mispronounced as "nucular".

I also can't bear that 4 letter word that 'begins with c and ends with t'. It just sounds so vile and hideous.

There is also a word that used to be popular in the UK to describe a woman's bits, that begins with 'm and ends with e', that's another one I can't bear.

Snot, is another. It sounds exactly like what it is, and I could throw up just imagining that word.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Watilla
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Nov 2012, 6:53 pm

Quite a few. An example would be some "Buzzwords" that adverts use. I'd just like to reach through the TV, pull them out, and strangle the *******! ...and I am NOT a violent person. Same thing with certain phrases.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 7:27 pm

Hmmm. There are words and sayings that feel stupid and awkward to me, mostly stuff that you'd use in formal conversations. I do avoid using them. I don't get that agitated if someone else uses them however.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 7:32 pm

For some reason when I was little (around 4 or 5), I WOULD NOT say the word baby. I remember my mom showing me picture flashcards and I'd say what the picture was. When the one with a picture of a baby came up, I wouldn't say anything. I really have no idea why I didn't like that word.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2012, 8:42 pm

Fell in something other than in past tense.

OK: The tree fell to the ground

Not OK: I will fell the tree, or even worse, I felled the tree. Using a past-tense word rubs me the wrong way and making a past-tense of a word that is already past-tense really gets to me.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 3:13 am

Yeah, there are certain phrases that grate on my nerves and make me so irritated I want to punch somebody. My mom's favourite phrase, "Get a wriggle on" drives me crazy, as does the expression "pokey" meaning "slow". There are probably others, but I can't think of them at the moment. Of course I went and made the mistake of telling my family that these expressions make me super irritated and now they use them just to annoy me. Nice huh? It's so annoying, I'm being driven nuts by my own post just looking at those words!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

lonelyguy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2012, 3:43 am

strange though it may sound..i have always found it difficult to say the first names of my brothers and sisters
always when i talk to them or try to get their attention..i shout hey you! or something
:lol: like that!..have never really understood why i do this,but have been like this for as long as i can remember...but also i am like this to people i do'nt know too..i hate saying names to get people's attention...weird really when i think about it!...but old habits die hard so don't think i can change now!

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 4:13 am

Mindsigh wrote:
I dislike words that can be pronounced in multiple ways, but only one is actually correct. Like plethora, decal, vagina, etc.. When I was a kid, I called a DEE-cal a DECK-ul for a couple of years before anybody straightened me out. Lots of times I've seen a word in a book but never heard anybody say it out loud, so I get embarrassed if I have to say it and don't know how to pronounce it correctly.

Imagine how it goes for those whose first language isn't English...

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 4:20 am

My mom used to nag me with a word which is a loan-word in my native language. It is the equivalent of 'must' in English. 'You must do this and that.' Or simply, 'You must.' I hated that world and it made me cringe when I heard it. Of course, some relatives used it to annoy me...

There are a few others that sound strange or make me feel a bit unpleasant, for no particular reason.

Giygas
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Nov 2012, 5:12 am

I personally hate the word poo, or poop. Despite the meaning attached to it, it just sounds weird. Strangely enough, I feel more comfortable saying s**t.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

Used when talking about getting a job, I can't stand the phrase "pound the pavement". The mental imagery for me is painful!