Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 3:30 pm

What are you most likely to watch around Halloween? I'm talking both graphic horror and kid's fare. Not a list of your favorite horror movies, as many of mine just don't have a Halloween feel. Dario Argento's "Deep Red" has a distinct summer flavor, and I consider the original "Dawn of the Dead" to be a Christmas movie. Well, in the US at least.

Here's my top 5:

1. "City of the Living Dead", a.k.a. "The Gates of Hell" It never gets old because you never know what's going on. The perfect blend of spookiness and impending doom. The ending, or lack thereof, is the perfect finishing touch. And it's set on Halloween, though indirectly stated.

2. "Suspiria" Argento's masterpeice, and debatably the greatest horror movie of all time.

3. "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"

4. "Dracula vs. Frankenstein" The early '70s version by Al Adamson. A shame MST3K never got their hands on it, because I had more fun riffing on that with friends than all of my other attempts and MSTing put together

5. "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things"

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 4:14 pm

Sleepy Hollow
Jacob's Ladder
Se7en
Evil Dead II
Silent Hill
Shaun of the Dead

All good for Halloween.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 4:28 pm

Saw films
And Treehouse of Horror

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 9:13 pm

Treehouse of Horror is always good. I watched Planet Terror last night on DVD, mainly for Rose McGowan's chest.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 2:50 pm

I'm sorry but I just had to say it, Hocus Pocus.

I adore that film, and the best time to catch it is at Halloween, that was until the Disney channel got lot's of other movies.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 3:50 pm

Dawn of The Dead

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2007, 3:53 pm

MelancholyBunny wrote:
I'm sorry but I just had to say it, Hocus Pocus.

I don't like scary movies, but I do like kids Halloween movies. In addition to Hocus Pocus I like the original Halloweentown on the Disney Channel.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 5:16 pm

Smallville and Reading Rainbow's special halloween shows

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 9:12 pm

Shaun of the Dead
Panic Room
Collateral
Fight Club
Sleepy Hollow
Sin City
George Romero's movies
Phone Booth
Red Eye

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 9:45 am

I am not at all scared, by scary movies...for some weird reason. :?

Another movie I like ooh...err...

Saw

Saw 2's ok, and it gets slightly mediocre from there on.

I hope they don't make anymore of those Saw movies, Jigsaw's meant to be dead for crying out loud. :roll:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 2:53 pm

Seven

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2007, 4:36 pm

The Nightmare on Elm Street movies
The Friday the 13th movies
The Thing (the scene with the norwegian in the beginning is hillarious if you actually understand norwegian :D )
Dreamcatcher
Village of the Damned
The Exorcist
The Exorcist: The Beginning (very underrated movie)
Komodo
Christine
Signs

There's a lot of good horror movies, but unfortunately, almost none of the new horror movies are even remotely scary.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 6:50 pm

The Sixth Sense
The Shining
Signs
GrindHouse
Enemy of the State

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 7:22 pm

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
There's a lot of good horror movies, but unfortunately, almost none of the new horror movies are even remotely scary.

Don't get me started on the state of horror. It's all gory s**t. Gore does not equal horror!

And it's always either a sequel, or a remake, or a sequel to a remake, or an American remake of a Japanese horror film, or something that's just basically a rehash/rip off of all the other slasher or zombie movies anyway....

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2007, 11:47 pm

Veresae wrote:
Reodor_Felgen wrote:

Don't get me started on the state of horror. It's all gory sh**. Gore does not equal horror!

And it's always either a sequel, or a remake, or a sequel to a remake, or an American remake of a Japanese horror film, or something that's just basically a rehash/rip off of all the other slasher or zombie movies anyway....

Man, tell me about it! The more I pursue horror, the more convinced I am that the only period where we saw good films turned out consistently started with "Night of the Living Dead", and ended in the mid-80s when we got bogged down in cheap, redundant slasher crap (though I like to say it was 1987, when Argento's golden age ground to a halt with "Opera") Even the lowest-rent gut-munchers cashing in on the double-undead success of Romero's "Dawn" and Fulci's "Zombie/Zombi 2" had a certain...SOMETHING (heart?) that I just can't see in the cookie-cutter horror trailers I on the tube today.

Or maybe I just want the film stock to give it that same look movies had around the time I was a child, I dunno. All I do know is that while I constantly hunt down the most obscure, misunderstood, disturbing, graphic movies ever made, I'm technically not a horror fan. The acid test of a "horror fan" is Wes Craven, and I simply have no desire to see any of the Freddy movies.

Yes, I know I should see the original versions of "Last House On The Left" and "The Hills Have Eyes". But I always find something more obscure, and therefore more urgent to rent.

I guess I'll just always be loyal to Romero, Argento, and Fulci for the same reason I'll always love Lovecraft, but not give a crap about other horror writers. They just got...IT. Something brutally honest about how bad the world can suck, conveyed in such a way that it really forced you to think about how we might improve it.

Or how WE might find a way to survive so we can kick back and watch all the "normal" people collapse under the pressure of that which they cannot comprehend. NyaHaHaHaHa!...Wait, I think I'm talking about "Weekend" now.

Sh**, I need to get to sleep before this post gets any longer.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 3:21 am

Carrie.