Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Grisha wrote:
Bumping this thread for more feedback.

I have a reasonably-equipped free weight gym, but I am an extreme hard-gainer.

My program is basically a split routine (legs one day, another group the next, etc) with heavy weights and 3 sets of 10 reps.

Diet is high protein and 15x my weight in lbs in calories.

I get stronger this way, but not bigger - what am I doing wrong?

There's your problem. Those aren't heavy weights if you're able to do 10 reps. Increase the weight, to where you only get 4-5 reps.

straightfairy
Raven
Raven

31 Aug 2011, 10:22 am

deadeyexx wrote:
Grisha wrote:

My program is basically a split routine (legs one day, another group the next, etc) with heavy weights and 3 sets of 10 reps.

There's your problem. Those aren't heavy weights if you're able to do 10 reps. Increase the weight, to where you only get 4-5 reps.

I note that you are getting stronger, but not bigger.
Are you getting heavier? or staying roughly the same size?

Getting stronger but not bigger is no bad thing. it shows that your muscles are getting stronger and increasing in density, which means body fat is reducing.
If your weight is constant, then you're simply not eating enough calories.

I used to know a woman who was trying to get fit, lose weight etc.
After 3 months she moaned because she had only lost about 7 lbs.
When I pushed, it turned out she was noticeably fitter, her breathing had improved (she was asthmatic), she was stronger and had dropped two dress sizes.
She cheered up when I pointed out she had achieved 4/5 of the goals she set ..

stgiordanobruno
Raven
Raven

16 Sep 2011, 8:03 am

I am not all that much into body building but at least I can leg press 250 KG or around 550 pounds,

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

stgiordanobruno wrote:
I am not all that much into body building but at least I can leg press 250 KG or around 550 pounds,

Statements like this is why the squat is king. There are so many hundreds of leg press designs with different leverages, cams, cables, sled angles etc. so many variables meaning there is no way to compare at all.

If you can do a 200kg full barbell squat, that is something to be proud of.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 1:20 am

deadeyexx wrote:
Grisha wrote:

My gym needs some heavier dumbbells. The highest they go is 100 lbs, and I can bench press them for 12 reps. Heavier ones would be hard to lift off the floor though.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

Venger wrote:
deadeyexx wrote:
Grisha wrote:

My gym needs some heavier dumbbells. The highest they go is 100 lbs, and I can bench press them for 12 reps. Heavier ones would be hard to lift off the floor though.

Why not overhead press them then?

Or superset them with close grip clapping push ups.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

I already do a couple sets of incline dumbell bench press with lighter ones after doing barbell bench press. And I prefer doing overhead(military) press on a machine with 220 lbs for 10 reps or so.

Herman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2011, 5:01 pm

Try supersetting then, youll be pleasantly surprised I assure you.

TheNiteOwl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2011, 9:09 am

Grisha wrote:

I'm in my 4th month of a beginning bodybuilding program. Doing a dead lift of 255lbs/116kg., which I think is good, considering I've never heavy lifted before. The program I'm using is STRONGLIFTS. It's perfect for a beginner, since it focuses on heavy, compound movements. Think squat, dead lift, bench, overhead press, upright row. These are movements that use the largest muscle systems in your body in unison, unlike split routines, which are biased towards muscle systems already adjusted to heavy weights.

Are you doing too much cardio..? Your protein seems like a proper amount. Are you burning this off doing jogging or swimming..?

Again, I'm only in the beginning stage, but I have seen results from the above – and I'm somebody with low muscle tone...

Last edited by TheNiteOwl on 28 Sep 2011, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheNiteOwl

28 Sep 2011, 9:16 am

I'd also like to caution to be careful. My workout consists essentially of 5 sets of 5 (lifting the weight 5 times, then repeating this action 5 more times.) I had one moment of bad form in lifting that strained my lower back, sidelining my routine at least a month or more.

Research proper form and don't let your mind wander during lifting...

I speak from experience.

TheNiteOwl

28 Sep 2011, 9:31 am

bluecountry wrote:
be curious if any AS people have done steroids and what their results were (increased anxiety?).

BlueCountry,

I did in fact experiment with steroids as a novice about 5 years ago. I was getting more involved with kickboxing and Muay Thai drills and practicing by myself. I wanted to see how adding bulk mass would effect my performance. I did put on about 20 lbs. in weight. I was skinny, so I could feel the difference in striking power, longevity, and ability to sprint. In reality, these could have been achieved with further training alone, but I wanted to experiment.

The downside to using illegals? I have a low frustration tolerance, so I tended to get emotionally fatigued even faster. While on cycle, I had my car towed. I was carrying a half gallon of milk at the time, which I promptly smashed against the wall. I highly doubt I would've done that had I not been using...

I consider my body a lab and reserve the right to do with it as I please. I don't consider this a recommendation to try steroids, as your bosy is your own responsibility.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2022, 5:54 pm

Simmyymmis wrote:
I'm wondering if there are any other AS bodybuilders out there?

I know AS has this stereotype of the geeky/nerdy/weedy guy or gal, but since bodybuilding can be a very solitary and deeply obsessional activity, I would have thought it would have actually appealed to quite a number of Aspies?

I've been at it since I was about 18 (27 now), and it's one of the most fulfilling (if sometimes frustrating) things I do; the complexity and interaction of physiological, biological and mechanical aspects of the sport can provide many hours of stimulating research.

Anyone else? Even if you don't do what you might strictly consider 'bodybuilding'?

I love bodybuilding. I recently lost 40+ pounds and I actually think I've got....sexy lol. Not gonna help my asexuality but its fun to tease. But yeah I just posted about working out as a stimulus. I'm working on growing my arms and thicker neck

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2022, 10:47 pm

TheNiteOwl wrote:
bluecountry wrote:
be curious if any AS people have done steroids and what their results were (increased anxiety?).

BlueCountry,

I did in fact experiment with steroids as a novice about 5 years ago. I was getting more involved with kickboxing and Muay Thai drills and practicing by myself. I wanted to see how adding bulk mass would effect my performance. I did put on about 20 lbs. in weight. I was skinny, so I could feel the difference in striking power, longevity, and ability to sprint. In reality, these could have been achieved with further training alone, but I wanted to experiment.

The downside to using illegals? I have a low frustration tolerance, so I tended to get emotionally fatigued even faster. While on cycle, I had my car towed. I was carrying a half gallon of milk at the time, which I promptly smashed against the wall. I highly doubt I would've done that had I not been using...

I consider my body a lab and reserve the right to do with it as I please. I don't consider this a recommendation to try steroids, as your bosy is your own responsibility.

You'd think they'd have a healthy alternative by now (or do they?). Ever see the documentary
"Bigger, Faster, Stronger?" it touches on steroids and bodybuilding in general. kind of sad at some points. i'm coming from the other end, i'm trying to turn this fat into beef haha. and it's coming along so far.