Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 5:12 pm

Simmyymmis wrote:
Space wrote:
I used to lift very regularly. Wouldn't say I was a body builder, but I did gain a lot of muscle mass (fat too though). I have mainly focused on kickboxing the last 1.5 yrs with only a little lifting, as it is a fitness goal in the opposite direction of bodybuilding. I might go back to lifting only though, just because they say women like a guy with big muscles over a skinnier guy who can beat the sh** out of the body builder. I don't know if I ever want to fight, and while I enjoy the training, I wonder if I might be better off spending my time getting huge.

I'm not sure the two are mutually exclusive assuming flexibility is maintained? There is a very experienced fight trainer at my gym (many techniques). He is a very muscular man indeed, even his legs. He can also do the splits!

Yeah it depends on the person too. I have only so much time to devote to fitness. Also, speed is extremely important in boxing/thai boxing, and it decreases substantially if you have too much extra muscle on. Though if you have big muscles and are a very fast puncher, you will be deadly.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 5:30 pm

Scott Mendelson is the world record holder in benchpress, but is also skilled in Karate Kyokoushinkai. Tank Abbott is a MMA legend, and is as huge as a wrestler. :)

frankwah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2007, 8:04 pm

Ahh, just got back from the gym about an hour ago. I did my shoulders. Today I did five powersets consisting of shoulder presses and reverse flies. Remarkably, I am still making gains in my shoulder presses. I thought I had plateaued a long time ago. Now I'm shoulder pressing 160 lbs (two 80 lb dumbells) over my head in nice slow controlled reps. My shoulders are getting really beefy. When I hang by my hands on a bar, my neck almost completely disappears because my shoulder muscles just flare out. It's pretty badass, I gotta say.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2007, 4:10 pm

I've been trying to become a body building or powerlifter aspie, but it just hasn't worked out. I applied at 4 gyms, so I could get a free membership. I don't have money to buy a membership. I don't have where to put weights at my house besides outside, but that would not be good. My college only allows people who are in weight training class (only during class) to use the gym with free weights. I've took that class twice, but the class is not enough time during the week to achieve results. The other gym is useless to me because it only has bicycles and machines.

Simmyymmis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Nov 2007, 5:45 pm

moo_cow wrote:
I've been trying to become a body building or powerlifter aspie, but it just hasn't worked out. I applied at 4 gyms, so I could get a free membership. I don't have money to buy a membership. I don't have where to put weights at my house besides outside, but that would not be good. My college only allows people who are in weight training class (only during class) to use the gym with free weights. I've took that class twice, but the class is not enough time during the week to achieve results. The other gym is useless to me because it only has bicycles and machines.

Would another person, a family member for instance, not be willing to subsidise your gym membership, based on the considerable health benefits? Or perhaps your college would allow you to use their gym when it is free if you wrote or spoke to the head of the department, or the head of the college, itself? I would have thought with the current emphasis on health and fitness, it would be possible to argue for its use on that basis alone.

moo_cow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Nov 2007, 12:11 am

Simmyymmis wrote:
moo_cow wrote:

Would another person, a family member for instance, not be willing to subsidise your gym membership, based on the considerable health benefits? Or perhaps your college would allow you to use their gym when it is free if you wrote or spoke to the head of the department, or the head of the college, itself? I would have thought with the current emphasis on health and fitness, it would be possible to argue for its use on that basis alone.

I agree, but they are going to argue that weights are dangerous. This means that they could get sued if someone got hurt. For instance, I recently found out that the about 200 lb squats I do could be very bad for my back with mild scoliosis. However, they should allow people to sign a waver that would make the school not responsible. Do you think I'd have any luck arguing this? I hate to ask my family for more money, especially since I haven't even payed my speeding ticket yet and could have a warrant. I'm trying to get a job and pay for it instead of making them responsible.

Simmyymmis

07 Nov 2007, 9:50 am

The waiver depends on the insurance policy the school uses. And even then, they will probably realise that even a waiver would not totally absolve them in the case of a personal injury claim. It's a tricky situation that in (less litigious) years gone by would have just been ignored and they'd have let you train anyway.

Your best bet, failing the waiver, is to try and get the tacit agreement to use the gym 'unauthorised' by the PE department or something - ie they 'pretend' not to know you are using it, you 'pretend' not to know you need permission. Shame on your school for being so anti-exercise! Hope this doesn't quell your ambitions to train, as the training can do wonders for your self-esteem, body-image, confidence, health, mood etc.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2007, 2:11 pm

i am not a bodybuilder nor do i want to be one, but i do like to keep up my weight training three days a week. i don't lift more than ten pounds, which is enough for me.

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Nov 2007, 12:42 am

I like lifting heavy weights alot, but I've never been able to get the "eat clean" part of being a bodybuilder down. I've pretty much quit lifting since I somehow injured my left shoulder (playing guitar hero of all things), and now I can't do my shoulder presses, deadlifts, dips, shrugs, chinups, or basically anything that involves my arms being over my head with weight attached or bent at awkward angles.

It's the worst kind of injury because when I'm not lifting I barely notice it, it's only stiff in the mornings sometimes, but if I try to work out it becomes unusable.

I make do by doing Hindu Squats and pushups, but it's not the same.

Adrien

26 Aug 2010, 6:23 pm

I was 120lbs in December of '09 and was 130lbs by spring. Definitely loved it and Arnold is a huge inspiration. Even when I was a twig, my right arm was still stronger naturally than 90% of guys because I would always carry my bag with that arm. I find I have mostly the strength type of muscle, as I'm bad at any endurance tests. It kind of gave me something to admire about myself and then I gained 10lbs in muscle before stopping (don't know why...).

I should continue. I'm 135lbs 5'7. At some point I want to be 145.

I also really admire wrestling/MMA. Love the ground game.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Aug 2010, 12:40 pm

I'm a bodybuilder, but I don't compete. Been working out since age 15-16. I'm into cutting and ultra-low body fat (at 5.7% right now!! !), more than bulking. So I'm not huge. 6', 185 lbs, bench 305 (10 reps x 6-10 sets). 1rm=370.

Charles

Image Image Image Image Image

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm

I like to BB myself. I do it more as a recreation and am more into looking fit (the poster above...that is what I call a REAL BBer).

I would think the problem for ASers if they are anything like me is learning a routine and good form.
For me, this has been like learning math.
I constantly need to go on websites, read, take notes, and MUST bring them with me to the gym.
Learning the mechanics has been hard....not as hard as finding good friends hahahaha.

BillyJoe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2010, 12:00 am

I am just getting started with working out, but i hit the gym frequently and am building up fast. I'm just trying to bulk up since I'm already fairly skinny. its definitely an activity suited for aspies, you have to be very focused and dedicated to really gain from it. I'm constintly improving my workout routine by taking not of what gets the most burn and how to make sure i'm doing the most i possibly can.

I always do about 45 minuets of upper body every other day, occasionally i do leg and cardio but don't realy have a set schedule for that. I do a circuit, never stopping to rest in between, insures the most effective workout, plus i get some cardio at the same time.

just-lou
Toucan
Toucan

17 Sep 2010, 2:36 am

Mm, bodybuilding. I always try to get to grips with it, but chronic pain does complicate elevating your heartrate or repetitive impact. Still, I'm interested in it and keep circling back there every so often. I just refuse to do it at gyms, as I'm thin and I get stared at doing weights :P

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 7:00 pm

Space wrote:
I used to lift very regularly. Wouldn't say I was a body builder, but I did gain a lot of muscle mass (fat too though). I have mainly focused on kickboxing the last 1.5 yrs with only a little lifting, as it is a fitness goal in the opposite direction of bodybuilding. I might go back to lifting only though, just because they say women like a guy with big muscles over a skinnier guy who can beat the sh** out of the body builder. I don't know if I ever want to fight, and while I enjoy the training, I wonder if I might be better off spending my time getting huge.

I hope you dont get "huge" just because you think the ladies like it. I find it gross, personally, but who cares what I think. You are better off doing it for yourself to get fitter and stronger and not worry so much about vanity muscles. Guys(and ladies) who do martial arts tend to get lean and very strong and flexible. Think about Bruce Lee- he had a beautiful body. I think those big puffy muscles can go to sh*t pretty fast too if they get injured, which is likely when you only have big muscles and no flexibility.

necroluciferia
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Sep 2010, 4:50 am

I enjoy lifting weights but I certainly wouldn't consider myself a bodybuilder. I was weight training 4 times a week for around 2 hours at a time before I took ill, and am currently trying to work myself back upto that but it's hard staying motivated when you're out of the habit. I belong to a gym, but find I have a more productive and intense workout at home when I don't have to worry about people staring at me or judging me or getting anxious when there's loads of people there. I find it very good for relieving stress which is the main reason why I do it, and also it gives me something to focus on and feel really positive when I start to see results. Unfortunately my poor diet lets me down.