Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alliegirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2007, 8:18 am

My daughter at one time. would read things backwards. Instead of STOP, she would read POTS on a stop sign or any other big word on a sign etc... Her counselor thought it was a sign of stress, but I really think she was baffled and just came up with that one. It really bothered my daughter and she hated doing it, but couldnt stop. She has finally quit, but if you say a word. she can tell you what it says backwards right away without even thinking about it.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 8:23 am

I used to do it all the time - it made car rides fun. What was annoying was about fifth grade when I had to "undo" everything I did. Because for example i'd read "pots" then "ots" ts" "s", then before the stop sign was out of sight, I'd want to undo it and so I'd go backwars "S" "st" "sto" "stop."

I can easily read a book held upside down through a mirror image without the slightest bit of trouble.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

30 Oct 2007, 8:34 am

...gag s'looF lirpA ym seog ereht, taerG

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 9:32 am

Sounds like a form of dyslexia.

Pollux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2007, 11:39 am

I read things backwards, too, but it's not that I can't read them forwards, I choose to do it. But then I can't stop. I also start reading at the end of something and then go up - that part is really annoying, but I can't stop that, either. And similarly, at work, I've often done things completely backwards because my brain seems to think in right to left instead of left to right, and down to up instead of up to down.

Simmyymmis

30 Oct 2007, 12:52 pm

I used to read things backwards compulsively when I was younger as well. Fortunately, I don't do it quite so often now, but I do often find myself repeating words backwards, especially longer ones with many syllables.

I seem to like the sound or the incongruity or something like that, and so it just sticks in my head and plays over and over like the most annoying stuck record.

I think as long as it doesn't develop into something obsessively debilitating, or interfere with learning, then she should be fine.

alliegirl

30 Oct 2007, 1:37 pm

Simmyymmis wrote:
I used to read things backwards compulsively when I was younger as well. Fortunately, I don't do it quite so often now, but I do often find myself repeating words backwards, especially longer ones with many syllables.

I seem to like the sound or the incongruity or something like that, and so it just sticks in my head and plays over and over like the most annoying stuck record.

I think as long as it doesn't develop into something obsessively debilitating, or interfere with learning, then she should be fine.

She rarely does it anymore she says, but it was a real problem a few yrs ago.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 3:14 pm

I knew a person in my workshop would read tings backwards n i do it sumtyms but dis person who i know does it all da tym.

Hey_You

30 Oct 2007, 4:29 pm

I can read things backwards as well. However, the one thing I cannot read properly is netspeak or leetspeak (I mean l331 sp34k). *glares at poster above him* Use proper English. Net speak needs to die a horrible and painful death. :evil:

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 4:33 pm

We had a thread going on here that was all backwards postings.

I do it on purpose, just for fun and the challenge.

My former wife, our daughter and I have always played around with spoonerisms.

This is the first time I have heard of someone who did it uncontrollably.

flikr

30 Oct 2007, 5:22 pm

alliegirl wrote:
My daughter at one time. would read things backwards. Instead of STOP, she would read POTS on a stop sign or any other big word on a sign etc... Her counselor thought it was a sign of stress, but I really think she was baffled and just came up with that one. It really bothered my daughter and she hated doing it, but couldnt stop. She has finally quit, but if you say a word. she can tell you what it says backwards right away without even thinking about it.

it's called dislexia it has nothing to do with aspergers

pixie-bell
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2007, 6:12 pm

I don't read things backwards but sometimes my speech does. :oops:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2007, 6:19 pm

KBABZ wrote:
...gag s'looF lirpA ym seog ereht, taerG

?mleropbtcia thta si hwY 8O

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW I really AM sorry to hear about starbuline.

AnnabelLee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2007, 7:42 am

OMG My husband does this constantly, and sometimes without realizing he's doing it! He is on the spectrum, but in denial and refusing testing at this time. I read his school reports from his teachers. Common comments were things like "in his own world", "not talking to/playing with other students", "not working to ability", "not able to focus'...and on and on. Plus, he understands a bit TOO well when I have sensory problems or not wanting to be around others much. Hmmm.....this is a normal aspie trait? Backwards reading?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2007, 9:36 am

Hey_You wrote:
I can read things backwards as well. However, the one thing I cannot read properly is netspeak or leetspeak (I mean l331 sp34k). *glares at poster above him* Use proper English. Net speak needs to die a horrible and painful death. :evil:

I am somewhat bothered by the safe auto signs like that. I tend to read "Lgl 4 Ls" or whatever it is as "Legless for less" instead of "legal for less" On the other hand that gives me a good laugh while driving.

Mirel
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Oct 2007, 10:02 am

alliegirl wrote:

Thats the makings of a career, not a sign of stress : D