How do aspies do in the armed forces?

Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

12 Nov 2007, 7:48 pm

pandabear wrote:
The military is an extremely narcissistic and psychopathic institution.

I understand the associations for sociopathy in a combat related function. But the narcissistic point of view would not be relative to there being no "I" in Team. Can you further explain that opinion?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 8:26 pm

More than one source has speculated that Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson most likely had Aspergers Syndrome. This is based on what he'd written and what had been written about him which is quite a lot. To me that’s close enough to say that he did have AS.
Jackson was a very gifted tactician who, before his death in early 1863, rose to the rank of Lieutenant General and corps commander in the Army of Northern Virginia under Gen. Robert E. Lee. Further, it has been speculated that if he had lived that the outcome of the War Between the States may have had a different outcome. We'll never know.
The tactics he employed in battle are studied to this day and held in awe.
That says a lot about the capabilities of an “aspie” in the military.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 10:51 pm

Jackson is an excellent example. I would also point to Admiral Lord Nelson, Napoleon, and our own George Patton and probable spectrum individuals.

Frankly, the military is a godsend for SOME Aspies. I missed by bad luck, and an ulcer at age 13. I got one question wrong on the OCS exam for the Army, but also answered the Doctor's questions truthfully. Mistake. Or not. I told the truth and was flagged as permanently physically unfit for military service. My brother, however, neglected to tell his recruiter several things, or maybe they just weren't asking those questions in 1961. I tried to join in 1982. My brother served 21 years in the Air Force, starting in "security" handling a dog, did law enforcement, special forces in "Laos", and guarded missile silo's among other things. He retired as a Master Sergeant and never looked back. The military used to be "the answer" when a young male didn't fit in. I know my parents certainly considered sending me to military school, when I was in my early teens. Or I should say my Father considered it. I never got the straight story on that, but I suspect my Mother cast a veto. I don't think I could have handled it at 13. At 22 I was ready, and not allowed to serve. All of those men above were probable Aspies, and all of them led by example and inspired and drove their men to surpass almost any odds. In some cases, it may simply be "not knowing when to quit", but I suspect I've seen some of it in my youngest son. He never backed down from a "playground bully" no matter the disparity in size. And he won't quit, he can lose, but he never gives up.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 11:15 pm

Oh yeah. The military school threat :roll: . Scared the hell out of me as well when I was 13 and 14 but looking back it might have been just what I needed. No way to tell now wether it really would have been or not.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 12:13 am

I know a lot of kids who got killed because they fell for that. As a team, they underestimated the enemy, as a team they went where they were told (and it was mined) and as a team they walked into an ambush one day, and me and one other guy walked out, because we could play the game outwardly, but mostly we thought for ourselves. And so we didn't charge machine guns, or drink until we couldn't see (why not everyone else did) or use chemical lights in a dark jungle, or all the other things our officers (who got killed too) did and told us to do. I also never shot anyone who wasn't pointing a gun at me, or holding a grenade.....and most of our guys did....they do it in Iraq and the military covers it up in the name of force protection. Sure wins hearts and minds. I might not have been paid to think, but that's the way I survived. You'd think Vietnam would have taught the army something about warfare, but it hasn't. And they'll keep killing their own people 'cause they don't know how to think straight, and they think they do, especially the people with a little rank.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 12:49 am

I don't like to be ordered around, by anybody.

Sid :O)

i_Am_andaJoy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 3:34 am

i suppose no one likes to be screamed at, but me stressed out and with access to weapons of even semi-mass destruction does not sound like a good idea.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2007, 8:32 am

beentheredonethat wrote:
I know a lot of kids who got killed because they fell for that. As a team, they underestimated the enemy, as a team they went where they were told (and it was mined) and as a team they walked into an ambush one day, and me and one other guy walked out, because we could play the game outwardly, but mostly we thought for ourselves. And so we didn't charge machine guns, or drink until we couldn't see (why not everyone else did) or use chemical lights in a dark jungle, or all the other things our officers (who got killed too) did and told us to do. I also never shot anyone who wasn't pointing a gun at me, or holding a grenade.....and most of our guys did....they do it in Iraq and the military covers it up in the name of force protection. Sure wins hearts and minds. I might not have been paid to think, but that's the way I survived. You'd think Vietnam would have taught the army something about warfare, but it hasn't. And they'll keep killing their own people 'cause they don't know how to think straight, and they think they do, especially the people with a little rank.

That's because it's now changed to Urban Warfare, the enemy is invisible and doesn't wear a uniform. Generally speaking, I don't think the US would cover-up negligence, for the sake of Force Protection, even in wartime.

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2007, 9:35 am

Have a look at this guy! While his books are fiction, the realism is fantastic, because he was there and did that! In the few times I spoke to him at book signings, he claimed to have been instrumental in helping Romania in many ways of their transition. Especially hooking up to helicopters for pilot rescue. As he was shocked when he asked how do they rescue their downed pilots, and they shrugged their shoulders!

Warren Gray

http://www.freewebs.com/warrengray/index.htm

"PERSIAN GHOST": To avert potential nuclear war in the Middle East, Air Force special operations officer Jack Wolfe must covertly plan and execute the total destruction of Iran's nuclear facility at Bushehr before the Israelis strike it in self-defense. With only a handful of experts in Bahrain, his daunting, clandestine mission, Operation Persian Ghost, must ensure stealth and pinpoint accuracy while concealing American involvement. As Iran's secret nuclear weapons program reaches a critical point with completion of the first reactor and the election of a new, hard-line president intent on destroying Israel, Jack's task is complicated by skirmishes with Iranian forces, Israeli air strike preparations, and his unexpected romance with a female pilot. He boldly leads a commando team into Iran, and bombs fall during a raging battle with a cataclysmic conclusion. Persian Ghost is a grippingly realistic tale of unrivaled urgency, cooperation, and daring in overcoming the forces of international terror. (Fiction; Copyright © 2005; Published by PublishAmerica, 2007; ISBN # 1-4241-1341-5; 386 pages, $24.95.) Now available directly from the publisher. Click on the PublishAmerica navigation sidebar to order.

"…you are immersed in the world of special operations and intelligence, and you are taken for an enjoyable ride…The final attack unfolds at a wild pace…the details as the military operations unfold are so sharp, you are right there in a front-row seat. And you might find yourself on the edge of it…a realistic, captivating story…" — Jeff Kouba, national security analyst.

"Outstanding; a view that could happen today! This book took what is happening today in this world, in our own time and circumstances, and made it real and concrete to its readers in an interesting, real way. Well thought out, well written, an excellent read!" — Mark E. Foster, Kirkuk, Iraq, 2007.

alex
Developer
Developer

13 Nov 2007, 9:47 am

LadyBug wrote:
beentheredonethat wrote:

That's because it's now changed to Urban Warfare, the enemy is invisible and doesn't wear a uniform. Generally speaking, I don't think the US would cover-up negligence, for the sake of Force Protection, even in wartime.

the viet kong largely didn't wear uniforms either. The only difference now is they're not fighting in a jungle.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 10:14 am

Personally, I wouldn't last 5 minutes of basic training (I'm in the Pvt. Pyle position... too overweight) I can't even do a single pushup, let alone 20 on demand. I also never understood the concept of group punishment, another obstacle.

However, I do commend anyone who joins the military for their service to their country (even if I think that the person in charge of said country is an idiot)

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2007, 10:24 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't last 5 minutes of basic training (I'm in the Pvt. Pyle position... too overweight) I can't even do a single pushup, let alone 20 on demand. I also never understood the concept of group punishment, another obstacle.

However, I do commend anyone who joins the military for their service to their country (even if I think that the person in charge of said country is an idiot)

Yeah, physical fitness has become a problem all around. Sadly from what I understand, due to funding cuts in public schools, that hit PE and Art programs the hardest.

Sidenote to Alex: Good point! I'm not up on all the history, and my Dad who is a retired USMC Infantryman Vietnam War Veteran, doesn't talk about it too much. Even now, being many years later.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 1:45 pm

Ladybug, maybe I misunderstood you but do you REALLY believe the US doesn't cover up their negligence?
They do it on a continual basis every day of the week. Trust me. They HAVE TO to keep the military going. If you knew how many fu#$@##$-ups happened daily youd fear for your own life. Don't be so quick to eat up the BS they feed you.
Do you know how many soldiers die in Basic, due to simple negligence? It happens constantly, but its kept quiet cause its bad PR. You expect people to die in a war, but you don't expect your kid to die in Basic Training.
When I was in, a solider was killed the day before on Victory Tower at Ft. Jackson SC cause all the Drills were jawing and left a bunch of inept people to safegaurd a climber on the rope ladder and when they did't pay attention and pull out the bottom of the ladder the solider fell to his death.
Read a map wrong, people die, friendly fire, people die, gross negligence happens constantly.
BTW my job in the military was a 03Charlie, Physical Activities Spec. I got everyone who was overweight for 12 weeks first before they got thrown out. Rank did't count and they hated me cause I simply worked the fat off them, they could't eat enough to keep it on them no matter what. :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

LadyBug
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2007, 2:34 pm

reika wrote:
Ladybug, maybe I misunderstood you but do you REALLY believe the US doesn't cover up their negligence?
They do it on a continual basis every day of the week. Trust me. They HAVE TO to keep the military going. If you knew how many fu#$@##$-ups happened daily youd fear for your own life. Don't be so quick to eat up the BS they feed you.
Do you know how many soldiers die in Basic, due to simple negligence? It happens constantly, but its kept quiet cause its bad PR. You expect people to die in a war, but you don't expect your kid to die in Basic Training.
When I was in, a solider was killed the day before on Victory Tower at Ft. Jackson SC cause all the Drills were jawing and left a bunch of inept people to safegaurd a climber on the rope ladder and when they did't pay attention and pull out the bottom of the ladder the solider fell to his death.
Read a map wrong, people die, friendly fire, people die, gross negligence happens constantly.
BTW my job in the military was a 03Charlie, Physical Activities Spec. I got everyone who was overweight for 12 weeks first before they got thrown out. Rank did't count and they hated me cause I simply worked the fat off them, they could't eat enough to keep it on them no matter what. :D

Yes, I know what you're trying to say, but it's not a cover-up. It's often restricted information, and I'm sorry that people who join don't realize there are as many, if not more dangers during peacetime. Nah, I use to be an Air Traffic Controller Assistant, when the former President Reagan fired the unionized strikers, I'm not scared.

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2007, 2:58 pm

I was in the military, and saw some combat. It was on the whole a good experience for me, except for the combat bit, but even then I didnt want to come home (change again). Theres plenty of structure in the army, and you know everyone else knows and does the same as you do; and there is the sensory problem though, but if it is such a problem for you, they dont let you join. You do end up a bit like that guy from FMJ, or perhaps I was like that a little ayway 8O

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 4:19 pm

Ladybug, I'm not going to get into a huge debate w/ you over this, please allow me to say through that soldiers being killed by complete ineptness and by simple mistakes of fellow soldiers is NOT "Restricted Information" I was w/ the HQ platoon of a communications Battalion so my security clearance is documented. Plus my uncle was head of the intelligence post.( made for interesting dinner table conversation when your a kid and they don't think you understand what the adults are all talking about BTW :D )
They prefer to let that kind of info out on a "Need to Know" basis, and they've reached the conclusion that we don't "Need to Know."
I'm not saying the aliens landed in Roswell, but I am saying that there are definite "Cover-ups" that have nothing to do w/ clearance every day of the week. Especially during wartime.
Also my utmost respect to you as a former ATC assistant I know you've dealt w/ a lot of stress. I avoid flying at all costs because I used to date an ATC and he told me about all the "Near-misses." Call me either "Chicken-sh--" or"Control-Freak" but I don't fly anymore. :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."