Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Dhp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 8:25 pm

I currently have a bachelor's degree in Mathematics from USF. Perhaps someday, I might go back to get my masters. I also minored in music.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 10:34 pm

I have a high school diploma with honors (3.614 GPA) and working on my BA in Integrative Studies Concentration in Social Science for Education.

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2007, 10:37 pm

Social Service Worker and Human Services Administration with additional professional development training, over the years.

atashiscorpion
Butterfly
Butterfly

Location: Between a rock, a hard place, and a really big turquoise potato.

13 Nov 2007, 12:36 am

Sort of split. I've been to college, but I was sort of a temporary student
there and only took a few classes. I'm currently nearing the end of the
first trimester of the eighth grade. I'm not really sure what you'd call that.

Meh. You'd probably just call it eighth grade. XD

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 1:21 am

Graduated High School with D's and F's. Would't do any work, would only test and squeaked by on test scores alone. Read books of my choice through all my classes instead and skipped a lot.
Went to college for nursing in Iowa and had a 4.0, was on the Presidents Honor Roll, Deans List, blah blah, then switched to Psych, then to parapsych, (in Calif) and now mostly enjoy physics. Never got a degree in anything as I have an apparent problem of "Not following through" as everyone else calls it. I call it finding out what I wanted to know and moving on. I don't care about the piece of paper as much as the knowledge, although I wish now I'd had more fortitude and had been able to FINISH something! (I even got out of the Army in 11 mos. and 4 days. I am a "Quitter")

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

Last edited by reika on 13 Nov 2007, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 3:07 am

reika wrote:
Never got a degree in anything as I have an apparent problem of "Not following through" as everyone else calls it. I call it finding out what I wanted to know and moving on. I don't care about the piece of paper as much as the knowledge, although I wish now I'd had more fortitude and had been able to FINISH something! (I even got out of the Army in 11 mos. and 4 days. I am a "Quitter")

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

We were made for each other... well, at least we could probably understand each other pretty well.

Either that or you are trying to assume my identity! 8O

Same thing about school... and I beat you... barely... in the Army - 11mos. 2weeks 2days! :D

And I very much want to return to Alaska to live!

Problem is... I think I'm way older than you... so can we be internet friends anyway? :P

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 3:25 am

I'm 44, used to live in Sacramento, many moons ago. And yes, we can be internet friends always.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 3:44 am

reika wrote:
I'm 44, used to live in Sacramento, many moons ago. And yes, we can be internet friends always.

OH, you come across younger to me... not in maturity of course (trying to extract foot from mouth).

I only moved to California because my former wife wanted to. Now I'm staying until our daughter is in college (she wants to go), which will be in 4 1/2 more years. That's the plan so far. I just want to be around as her safety net if she needs it... living in Alaska, it may be too difficult to help if she isn't up there going to school.

I want to take her up to Alaska in the winter and the other non-buggy parts of the year, ummm, which are like... the month after break-up and the month before snowfall? :P

I can still remember one trip to Valdez when we stopped at Glenallen. We had one of those ladybug-shaped ultrasonic mosquito repellers on her. I swear she wound up with more bites than if we hadn't used that stupid thing. :roll:

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 4:09 am

No foot extraction needed, I like it that I come across as "Younger" :D Never was much for acting my age anyhow it's all ilrelevant.
I'm usually on a bike when I'm outside and going to fast for the skeeters to get me. Also am usually on the coastal trail and with the breeze there's no skeeters.
Valdez is definitely beautiful, Glenellen not so much.
I remember the first time I stepped foot in the Pipeline Club in Valdez someone yelled out my name. It was someone I'd met in Fairbanks years before. (It really is a "small world after all") same thing happened to me when I stepped into a bar in Ansbach Germany, someone I'd known in Kentucky years before. Trippy but cool. :D

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 4:17 am

I remember the first time I stepped into the Howling Dog Saloon up in Fox.

There was a bumper sticker that said, "Happiness is 10,000 Texans Heading South with an Okie Under Each Arm".

I was hoping no one would recognize that I just moved up there from Texas by way of Oklahoma! 8O

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Nov 2007, 4:31 am

haven't been up to Fox for about 5 years, Used to work at Chena Hot springs Resort. Bernie the guy who owns it is being touted as this big environmentalist now but let it be known that he started out bootlegging to the natives in the villages, and I hope he has become a better person with time.Let me add that may all be rumor just to CYA in case of slander or libel
Miss "Skinny Dicks Halfway Inn" had a lot of fun there and they have really cute tourist stuff. The name itself is a big seller. We are so "off-topic" here (Halfway between Fairbanks and Nenana, get your minds out of the gutter :D )
Most people here are from somewhere else so don't feel bad at all.
Also just put Kilroy in the limerick thread. :D

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2007, 4:43 am

Berserker wrote:
Nothing. I didn't pass high school.

I didn't pass high school either - but I went to get a degree in nursing and now studying masters papers in palliative nursing.

Kurtz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Nov 2007, 5:29 am

Where I live you can drop out of school at 16.

I didn't leave until I was 17. I was out in the smoking section, and one of my teachers started in on me for some stupid reason and I told his ass off in front of everyone. I was just sick of it. At that instant I decided to drop out, and told him so. I said flat out that it was because of his being such a dick to me.

I'd like to think he pooped just a wee bit, a cloth-toucher. He looked like he did.

makelifehappen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 8:21 am

lucy1 wrote:
Berserker wrote:
Nothing. I didn't pass high school.

I didn't pass high school either - but I went to get a degree in nursing and now studying masters papers in palliative nursing.

I didn't et through highschool either, but did do post secondary education (as above)

Newsboy1965
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2007, 8:37 pm

I have an Associate of Arts and a Bachelor of Arts degree.

Are you asking here whether "Aspies" have a tougher go completing academic or degree requirements than most? Working within a rigidly structured system?

I didn't have have an easy go of finishing college, but it wasn't an insurmountable obstacle by any means. Mostly I was my own obstacle, as I insisted on drinking, partying and being distracted as often as not. As any college student probably should.

? Steve Buscemi, "Ghost World"

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2007, 9:04 pm

I found that the higher I went in the educational ladder, the easier time I had of it. I just loved grad school - it was pretty much self-directed, with courses in which I had a substantial interest, and entailing a lot of individual research. Almost all my classes were small (under 10 people) and we ran by Socratic method - we had all read the material and we would argue points, or we would present our own research findings. It really was a lot of fun - some of the happiest days I've ever known.

My undergrad - well, it wasn't difficult. If anything, most of the courses were pretty watered down and basic. I found it most painful to sit in a room for a couple of hours a few times a week while somebody at the other end of a large auditorium basically read me his notes or paraphrased the textbook. In some of those classes I was able to just buy the notes and show up for tests - those were ok.

High school. Oh, now that was dreadful. They treated us like idiots, fed us an unbelievably watered-down (often out of date, and occasionally inaccurate) curriculum, and I was in a room with all abilities - meaning the really slow or those who didn't want to learn pulled us all down. Then again, I also had some teachers who were, I swear, only a chapter ahead of us in the textbook. They had degrees in education, so they theoretically knew how to teach, but were just a hair above functionally illiterate themselves. I do have to say, though, that I had three or four really outstanding high school teachers. They broke every curriculum rule there was, were really tough, and I learned a tremendous amount from them. Too bad they all couldn't have been like that. I have the utmost sympathy for any kid in high school, as I understand it's gotten much worse nowadays. So sad - a waste of time and talent.