Hope and Healing in The Forum

Page 13 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Dragon Dreamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2016, 7:46 am

I'm on the despairing end. I've never dated and dislike being around people. I'm really depressed. I don't know what to do.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
Hello,

When i feel like giving up, i look into an other direction and i make a mental list of all i have already achieved, all the difficulties which i have overcome. (we all have a long list)

Then i say, if i overcame this. I am strong and i can do more.

This gives me courage.

I second that advice for MoonDog.

I actually just stole it from you right now if you don't mind. After so much gained during a long period of being patient, motivated and eager to learn, you can literally throw it all away in 1 milisec.

My ex, which was my 1st GF had some kind of learning disorder. she was an obvious NT girl type, we had fun together and parted in good terms.. It just wasn't meant to be in the long run. So when you say you have a learning disorder I automatically think of her...

Agreed for trying to get Dxed ASAP. maybe the insecurity of not knowing doing its thing. Also hopefully where you live you'll get some formal help from authorities by getting Dxed and try to be active. At all times. Active.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 8:24 pm

The best way of saying this is often in my unorthodox daily life I do my best to remain hopeful & happy not thinking of the times or scenarios where I wound up being tormented. In fact, I feel disheartened with how many things which, I've set out to do sometimes, not all the time turn out to be empty realities.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:40 am

Like a car battery I keep myself charged while giving and helping others.

When I'm wrapped up in me I make a small package.
My wife says I'm over dressed.

I added swimming to my exercise list for the past month.

I still can get in the hamster brain wheel. I did that last night after church looking for something. (Physical object not metaphysically speaking).

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 2:29 pm

When all else fails-cat videos!

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 10:39 pm

_

Last edited by Britte on 23 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 10:41 pm

I always support you.

katdances
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Feb 2018, 1:48 am

does it really help to tell family and close friends? I can't stand my family at times to the level that it messes with my behaviour. I don't want to feel this way but I honestly don't think telling them would change anything. Is there anything I can do (besides reclusion) to tolerate them?

At the same time, I feel like I would hurt my parents feelings by telling them. If it were me who found out a child of mine has been living with this for 29 years without knowing, I'd feel horrible as a parent. I guess my real question is what can I do to increase my tolerance with my family. I still live with them and will be for at least 3 more years. If I explode I hurt their feelings or create chaos in the family (as I've been told by them) and if I keep to myself I create chaos within myself.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2018, 2:57 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I intend this thread to be a bit of a bridge between those of us who have found healing, and those who are despairing. Recently a person posted a thread wherein he said there was just too much negativity on this Website. That got me to thinking about what gets posted here. When I look through the Forum section here, it breaks my heart to see so much pain. Quite a lot of this pain is part and parcel of being 'different' and the ostracism that goes with that.
Some of us here are "Elder ASpies' and have the life experience to share how we've learned to cope. How we have learned to appreciate our innate 'difference' and even embrace it, rather than be ashamed of it. How to cope with the stresses that being ASpie put upon us.
I've been posting here for over a year, and I've seen so many posts from people on the verge of suicide. I've been that depressed when I was younger, and I understand how far you can slip into despair.

I want this to be one thread where people can look for a bit of help, and understanding.

At last, someone thinks as I do. I am with you all the way Prof_Pretorius.
Let me say this; If you asked me to walk 10 miles each day, eat healthy food and so on. I would not really take your advise. Even though I do sometimes eat very healthy food and once or twice a week I do walk.
My strength lies in the fact that I am able to overcome negative thoughts of my own will. We as humans do have those not so good days and we do at times reach rock bottom. But our mind is so very powerful and if we tell it to do something it will. This may not happen overnight, but if we keep on keeping on, our mind will follow.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2018, 7:07 pm

Age sure is a bind. I basically found out in my old local paper, that my old primary school caretaker died. He was 79 and it appeared he died from Cancer. It made me sad. Especially as I recently lost a relative to the illness.
He was a good natured old sort and would welcome any questions or just help. I'd see him mopping that floor if I was early for class and we'd have a chat. Also, he led some outdoors field trips that were good. It just feels like another good person in my reminiscent life has had to die an unnatural death. He was my nans age too. Such a loss.
I couldn't feel any more bereaved if I tried. This one will take time to recover from. These days people just tend to interpret for you what you mean and don't listen. He wasn't like that.. neither were they in my family blood.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 9:05 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
Hey there,

Guess I qualify as an AS whippersnapper as you put it. Mind if I throw out a question for someone older and wiser - however you may dispute the latter?

I've tried about everything in my power to fake my way through NT life, and despite my success at spinning the illusion, I live in permanent anxiety of making the one misstep that belies the whole thing. Just the slightest facial tic (or lack thereof) blows my cover and the entire chain of impressions I'd been garnering up to that point, and like the others who commented, it royally sucks having to live this way.

Nothing new for you to hear there, just more of what you seem to have been doing far longer than my 26 years walking the earth. But you said in your post, that it does not get any easier with age?

The only motivation that's kept me walking over these hot NT coals in past years was that it would eventually become easier, perhaps natural. I've been starting to lose faith, even doubt that, and now what you said changes the picture further.

I really don't have any specific questions. But you're quite good at expressing yourself from what I've seen thus far, and I would just be interested in hearing you speak further about how your AS has changed or not changed over the years, especially with regard to adapting to an NT world. If you could, then anything you have to say would be of tremendous help to me, and I would appreciate every word of it.

Jerry

Hello Jerry!

When I first realized I was AS it was last year. I called up a phone number of someone that posted on line. It turned out to be Roger N Meyers, a real mover and shaker of the Portland, OR Adult AS community, but at the time I didn't know to be impressed, but now I am suitably so.
I revealed to him my terror that now that I know I have a neurological condition I was horrified that other people might know, that some how my perfect shell would be shattered by a wrong word or act and they would see me revealed. To Roger's credit, he heard me out and listened to my fears of being 'discovered'. When I had spewed it all out, he disarmed me completely by telling me to not worry about all of that because if I WAS AS, they simply 'already knew.'

"Already KNEW??" was he KIDDING?? I was so careful to match peoples words, listen to their words make sure I nodded when they nodded, smiled when they smiled, laughed when they laughed. . .

"No," said Roger, "they already know internally, that you are different than them. Their own neurotypicalness can spot you a mile away, and if they don't know it immediately, they will later on, and it is nothing you can change or mask. If you could change or mask it, you wouldn't be AS. All that elaborate dance you do to try to keep it from them just puts stress on you and really distracts from any real progress in working with others."

So much for the gloom and doom of 'never fitting in", Ben. That is just your loneliness talking. If you find you are yearning to be fulfilled by social contact, consider the idea that maybe you don't feel the social fulfillment you already find. Consider for a moment that interactions and emotions other people feel from social contact do not perform the same chemical reaction (if you will) in you. It really opened my eyes when I thought about it in that way. That people WERE giving me the social inclusion and warm fuzzies and what ever else it is they get from social interaction but it was ME THAT COULDN'T PROCESS IT. So all that tippy toeing around thinking that we 'had to get it right' so we could get the pay off 'being included' was for naught, anyway.

so, I suppose my advice to you is to give yourself a break. I have found the biggest shortcut to working with NTs is to PUT THEM AT THEIR EASE AS QUICKLY AND AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN.
Lighten up around them, use gentle humor, chuckle appropriately. This relaxes them and they can take a lot of your idiosyncrasies when they know they can get your NON DEFENSIVE attention about something and you are OPEN to other opinions and ways of considering events.

So I would say work on your sense of humor, develop a grace of bowing ineveitably to what you might consider absurd about them. Learn to find your own center when the boat is rocking and be there, rather than concentrating on every dip and heave of the social give and take.

I still haven't figured out how to respond when people step on my toes. Any retaliation I can devise is usually too muscular for what they consider appropriate ( in my youth, I would just go for their eyes and I had to wear a muzzle for a while , when I was later in elementary school I was made to wear a sign for my second grade year warning "I BITE" because I did retaliate to those who teased me.) Over the years my sense of social justice is very finally tuned, my moral compass always points to 'what will impact my negative karma the least and my positive karma the most.'

If you try to 'fit in' and 'be like them' ah, Jerry, that's the struggle. If you are true to your own nature and become a 'good guest' in their world, then you relax the struggle and become welcome into their society. This gives you and them a break. As I learn, I would be honored to pass what ever I learn along.

and as for being a young whippersnapper. . as that ancient musical band of my youth, Devo, would say "snap that whip!"

your friend,

Merle

Going to ponder this thanks

maradebaca
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 May 2018, 2:10 am

I’m trying so hard to understand myself...I am trying to tumble out of this depression, and I’m taking small incremental steps toward self-realization. It may not seem like much, but that’s what I’m doing.” I feel bad that I’ve had to distance myself from others, but I needed to know myself without others - and I’m trying to put my footing in the right direction. They are very small steps... the first one is to know I have HFA. I’m trying hard to understand my own emotions. I want to try and check in with how I feel each morning...I’m almost ready to start venturing into the world again...almost...I can feel joy slightly creeping into my life again.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 5:21 am

Hello to any people in need reading this. I have been reading a lot of posts where people have been abused, bullied and harrassed and just want to say: ı'm horrified at what what you've been through. I was blessed enough to have a wonderful family and a few friends growing up. I was never seriously bullied and even when i have been my friend protected me. So i guess what i want to say is: you have EVERY right to hate ruthless people. There's absolutely no excuse for what they did to you and you're absolutely right to despise those kind of people and anyone who's less than respectful to you. Also, you owe people no explanation for your existence. If you have no job or whatever you're not a "productive" memner of society? They can shove their complaints so your parents who made you or God if they believe in him.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2018, 4:23 pm

Sometimes I feel very sorry for myself but it always passes.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 5:11 pm

To everyone in need of a hug :flower:

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

30 Sep 2018, 7:10 am

I'm still learning to heal but I have some good things to share and believe you can always recover from being in a bad place as long as you have hope.

I was bullied for nine years of my life and undiagnosed, could never understand why I didn't fit in with the rest. When we got older and changed schools my old bullies saw me making friends for the first time and went after me on Facebook to write their ironic compliments or find things to criticize and make fun of. I then deleted that Facebook account and made a new one without adding them and i've never heard from them again. My new friends at that school didn't stay friends though because they were NTs of course and quickly got closer to each other than I got close to them as they were much more social and open and this made me feel left out so even though they continued being nice to me I distanced myself from them in respect for them as I figured they were only nice to me because they felt they had to.
After a while I started dating a popular guy at that school who only took advantage of me and after that I was left feeling completely alone, heartbroken and hopeless, got depressed. I recovered though, went to therapy which lead to me eventually getting my diagnose. Started making friends and I now have friends in my life who are the sweetest and most amazing people I know. I keep struggling with depressive feelings though but I do my best to deal with that and having people to talk to helps. Whenever things get too dark I compare my life 10 years ago to now and remind myself to be greatful. I know now there are other people like myself in the world and i've only met a few of them yet but they've become very good friends. These people will always accept me and understand me and that goes for everyone else too you might feel alone but there's so many people out there who struggle with feeling different, being misunderstood, lonley... You can always go out there and you'll meet someone. I met all my friends online but i've met most of them in real life as well. Self-acceptance is very important for happiness, having like-minded friends who are fine with their "weirdness" can help with that definietely. :) Being different is a good thing! I've always tried so hard to be NT and still find myself doing that but that doesn't make me happy. I easily pass as NT nowadays but that's not who I am and the more I accept who I am the more I discover about myself. I wish everyone struggling the best and that you find a good way to cope and be happy with who you are.