Hope and Healing in The Forum

Page 11 of 14 [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 3:06 pm

^
BuyerBeware Please take care of your self - even if right now it is hard to, or hard to find self. I have such similar issues sans the husband that it hurts to read your words, they mirror what my thoughts have said. and I do that voice thing too, for me it is a warning that I'm about to "blow". am not one of the ones around here who matter, nor do I matter in the real world except for another few years in the single parent capacity. After that I may feel better or Not in which case who knows what will transpire. {{hug optional}

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 4:26 pm

What to do for a sick friend who is too far away to visit? :?: :( :shrug:

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 5:53 pm

Hi. I started a thread asking for help and advice in the General Section before i found this section. I'm not allowed to multi thread so here's a link to my thread .

Any advice will be welcome !

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp6289233.html#6289233

as1337
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jan 2015, 9:32 pm

I know this is supposed to be a "hopefull" thread but i have to get this off my chest.(is that how you say it?) In reaction to earlier posts in the thread, its completely logical that most threads are about pain and suffering because thats what living with asperger is all about. In my experience asperger has no upside and hope is a traitor that stabs you in the back and makes your suffering more painful. I found it useless to pretend to be an NT when you arent and it will become clear down the line if you pretend anyway. I try to just accept it and make the best of an at best abomanible situation. Maybe i will have something nice to say later but this is just how i feel right now.

SwissPagan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Feb 2015, 7:22 pm

this has been an on going thing, but more and more lately I am in that "wating for the bus..." state of mind... I don't know what to do about it...

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2015, 12:44 am

I need so much help. I don't know where to start.

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Feb 2015, 1:14 am

Sometimes it seems that you are not 100 % a member of the WP family unless you share some of your own struggles and what you are doing to overcome it, i figured I would go ahead and make the first post where I really put it out there and share some of my issues - there are too many for one post.

For the first 27 years of my life, I lived with the idea that I am not on the spectrum, even though when I was 4 no less than Isabelle Rapin studied my behaviors and came to the conclusion that most likely I was indeed on the spectrum. So I got some communication help when I was in pre school until 6th grade, but from then on, once I could build a semi facade of normalcy, I was conditioned to ignore the issues I had. And it made high school, college and the first few years of grad school terrible. Thinking of the difficulties I endured, many of which could have been easily avoided had I just taken advantage of even the help that was available to me. This causes me extreme anguish and depression. I also, during this baptism by fire, inadvertently made life difficult for others as well, including those who were trying to help me. The guilt over this and the need for redemption causes me further anguish and depression.

I am now in the process of using resources I have to help me function but I am not sure if I am going to be able to be accepted among others as one of them and I fear that no matter how much labor I put into it I will always be way more of a burden than an asset to everyone. Blogs of parents who often imply that their quality of life would be better without autistic kids, and who think autism should be viewed in terms of the burden autistic people place on others, are everywhere and I can't shake the feeling that I will always be one of those burdens in spite of the progress I have made through hard work. There seems to be a backlash among those with autism as well since there is this notion that autistic people, particularly those who are self diagnosed, are just looking for excuses for their bad treatment of others. And I don't know how to advocate for myself without being in that group.

I have recently posted threads about those with disabilities on other forums (http://absolutewrite.net/forums/showthr ... ?p=9263909 and here http://absolutewrite.net/forums/showthread.php?t=301720) and I have seen the sites where neurotypical spouses and partners austistics/aspies - as seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=276059 talk about how miserable life is with someone with autism. And it seems that when someone sees that their spouse is diagnosed with any kind of autism spectrum disorder it is the end of the world for them. And I am not sure that I can ever break away from this no matter how much i work my hands to the bone to do so.

I used to have episodes where I felt I had an obligation to society to find a speeding train and sit down on the tracks on front of it. Those episodes have passed now that I am finally learning to address my issues but as the public complains about how difficult and unpleasant autistics are they can always come back.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2015, 11:55 pm

as1337 wrote:
I know this is supposed to be a "hopefull" thread but i have to get this off my chest.(is that how you say it?) In reaction to earlier posts in the thread, its completely logical that most threads are about pain and suffering because thats what living with asperger is all about. In my experience asperger has no upside and hope is a traitor that stabs you in the back and makes your suffering more painful. I found it useless to pretend to be an NT when you arent and it will become clear down the line if you pretend anyway. I try to just accept it and make the best of an at best abomanible situation. Maybe i will have something nice to say later but this is just how i feel right now.

Sorry that your experience of Asperger's Syndrome has been so uniformly negative. No denying the deficits, but there are many positives from my point of view. I agree pretending to be neurotypical, beyond concessions necessary to avoid unduly disturbing one's fellow humans, would ultimately be futile. What particular disappointed hopes are you speaking of (friendships, romance, other) in this instance? Do you not derive any pleasure from your interests? Sorry if my response is not immediately helpful. I have been feeling down and losing sleep recently myself, although much better at present.

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2015, 12:03 am

emax10000 wrote:
Sometimes it seems that you are not 100 % a member of the WP family unless you share some of your own struggles and what you are doing to overcome it, i figured I would go ahead and make the first post where I really put it out there and share some of my issues - there are too many for one post.

For the first 27 years of my life, I lived with the idea that I am not on the spectrum, even though when I was 4 no less than Isabelle Rapin studied my behaviors and came to the conclusion that most likely I was indeed on the spectrum. So I got some communication help when I was in pre school until 6th grade, but from then on, once I could build a semi facade of normalcy, I was conditioned to ignore the issues I had. And it made high school, college and the first few years of grad school terrible. Thinking of the difficulties I endured, many of which could have been easily avoided had I just taken advantage of even the help that was available to me. This causes me extreme anguish and depression. I also, during this baptism by fire, inadvertently made life difficult for others as well, including those who were trying to help me. The guilt over this and the need for redemption causes me further anguish and depression.

I am now in the process of using resources I have to help me function but I am not sure if I am going to be able to be accepted among others as one of them and I fear that no matter how much labor I put into it I will always be way more of a burden than an asset to everyone. Blogs of parents who often imply that their quality of life would be better without autistic kids, and who think autism should be viewed in terms of the burden autistic people place on others, are everywhere and I can't shake the feeling that I will always be one of those burdens in spite of the progress I have made through hard work. There seems to be a backlash among those with autism as well since there is this notion that autistic people, particularly those who are self diagnosed, are just looking for excuses for their bad treatment of others. And I don't know how to advocate for myself without being in that group.

I have recently posted threads about those with disabilities on other forums (http://absolutewrite.net/forums/showthr ... ?p=9263909 and here http://absolutewrite.net/forums/showthread.php?t=301720) and I have seen the sites where neurotypical spouses and partners austistics/aspies - as seen in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=276059 talk about how miserable life is with someone with autism. And it seems that when someone sees that their spouse is diagnosed with any kind of autism spectrum disorder it is the end of the world for them. And I am not sure that I can ever break away from this no matter how much i work my hands to the bone to do so.

I used to have episodes where I felt I had an obligation to society to find a speeding train and sit down on the tracks on front of it. Those episodes have passed now that I am finally learning to address my issues but as the public complains about how difficult and unpleasant autistics are they can always come back.

Thank you for being so honest. I am conscious that I have also probably acted or spoken in ways that unintentionally were unpleasant or hurtful for some who had not wronged me; it is a two way thing. On the speaking as though Aspies or those on the autistic spectrum more generally were only a burden and never contributed usefully to society, that is plain wrong! All of us (neurotypicals as well) can in different ways be difficult to deal with. And the skill set that often accompanies autistic spectrum disorder could at least in some cases enable one to be of use in particular fields.

sleepingpancake
Toucan
Toucan

14 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm

as1337 wrote:

Same situation here. Just when you feel that you can really make it and think that everything will be fine something will turn really bad. Its like you built yourself only to be broken again. And again. And it gets worse everytime its excrutiating pain. I feel miserable.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2015, 12:45 pm

I'll be brutally honest to say that I'm glad that there is an actual place here on wp where persons are not going to be berated for going through any sort of trauma(s) within their individual lives. In fact, I remember a long time ago how I was once part of an Aspergers Singles group on Yahoo and can't forget how I was seen as the "Darth Vader" of the group not cause of sounding as, if I had a scuba diving respirator(joking) rather, I was going through depressive episode at the time and was perceived as being the bad apple.. Anyways, I'll try to help others here if possible if not myself too..

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2015, 9:01 am

as1337 wrote:

Reality is a cruel thing we all have to deal with. But it still hurts seeing all the people here sharing their terrible experiences.

bitesizedtess
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2015, 1:08 pm

SwissPagan wrote:
this has been an on going thing, but more and more lately I am in that "wating for the bus..." state of mind... I don't know what to do about it...

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 4:45 pm

You see me walking blind among you with a white stick.
In the crowded town, I only see your frightening shadows.
You feel mercy, anger or you ignore me.

But if your brain is not blind:
you will precisely choose me, to ask for directions when you are lost,
you will precisely ask me, if you want to know which bird is now singing.

Do you see what I mean? (If not, close your eyes and see)

OmegaWolf86
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jan 2016, 7:11 pm

How do I accept that I'm never going to be able to compete with everyone else? How do I accept that I'll always be a freak, and nobody will truly understand who I am? How do i expect to live successfully in a social world as an asocial person. I feel like the world's one bit ant colony and I'm the single oddball that gets shunned and attacked by the other ants for being somehow "wrong." If this world is governed by natural selection and survival of the fittest, than I must be the one going extinct. I should've never existed in the first place.

Sorry for the whine, things on my mind need to get them off my chest.

Chickadeesingingonthewrongplanet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2016, 11:11 am

Just found this thread and haven't gotten past the first page.
This post answered so many things I'd been pondering before I'd read far at all.

On page 1, posted at this time:

19 Nov 2007, 11:51 pm

something I was waiting to read.

(Sorry I don't know how to quote, and that I've not yet read enough more recent
posts to take part in the current conversation.... but that post was just...wow
and:
thanks.