If youd been given what you needed, would you even be on WP?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 4:50 pm

I have long known of my aspergers but still considered most of my differences to be just me being unique--until I spent some time on WP and have been amazed at how time after time my story has been almost identical to others, being held back and being isolated etc., despite feeling that if I were given the appropriate help and opportunities, I would be quite functional and AS would not even actually be an "issue".

So then I began to doubt: if all these other people felt like that, (the borderline cases especially), then perhaps there is no way out. If one person in an asylum said "I'm sane and being held against my will!", perhaps they would be right--but if everyone says that, you can only assume everyone actually is insane. The analogy is not meant to mean those with AS are not sane, but that perhaps if everyone is saying the same thing, but the pattern reveals so many are wrong, why should you not be also wrong? Perhaps you too are a hopeless case who just keeps thinking, what if, despite the fact that there is no "what if".

But here is what I thought: there ought to be many "what if" cases; the reason you do not hear about them is that such people do not reach the point of despair enough to come out and deal with or tell poeple about their problem. There must be millions of people with AS who are perhaps a bit "odd", but stil functional and happy enough that they do not even consider the idea they have a syndrome. Many indeed may feel different, but function enough that they appear to the world to be 100% purebred neurotypical. If you were that "what if" that had actually been given what you needed, you would never have a reason to get onto wrong planet at all.

I myself feel like I have always been on the edge but never given the opportunity enough to go all the way over. Finally I have recently been able to, but so long spent isolated by my family meant that the moment I got isolated again I went back to square one--the difference being that I realized where i was now however, realising that all I needed was the momentum of a few months or years of stability to catupult me into a stable future.

Anyway, it's the frustration not of having a disabilty, but of having an ability and not being allowed to use it. Like a child with weak legs being told he is a cripple so he is not allowed out of his wheel chair to excercise his legs.

Either way, I don't get along or connect with many people. But the few I do, I crave that relationship which I have gotten time to time but always lost.

Also, I feel functional enough that the only places I go to for discussion are the haven and the autism discussion. I don't come here just to talk about anything, I come here to discuss issues that pertain to AS and mental issues. I have those issues, but people in society generally like me, enoug that once I get stable, I think I'll be able to get into that functional mode I've been in for temporary times, permanently.

Taimaat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2007, 5:21 pm

I only started posting because I was having so much problems with my husband not making enough money at a job he hated, and just not feeling good about myself, that I went through the trouble of posting here.
I don't really think Asperegers is a syndrome so much, but I think that everyone has all those same traits inside, and under the right (or perhaps you would call them wrong) circumstances, they would manifest themselves in people you thought were completely NT. I mean it. I don't like to put labels on things.
There is no autism, there is no Aspergers, there is only our culture is just so f****d up that the normal means of changing things around do not work. Thats where all the so called autistic symptoms come from. People just tune the world out because it is too messed up to deal with at a rational level.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 5:41 pm

If I had real life friends, I wouldn't be on WP.

InSpades
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2007, 5:52 pm

My life has pretty much been a perfect storm. I am not sure the path could be different.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 6:04 pm

Juggernaut,

I think I understand what you are saying, but there are movies that even show that the insane people may be the only sane ones!

Anyway, I mainly don't have friends because I have a strict definition of friend, don't get out much, and don't know how to pursue it. Still, most people consider me affable, nice, helpful, and like me. And they HAVE said as much! Many of my acquaintances are BETTER than the friends many have. I just don't consider them friends because they haven't been tested under MY definition, and we don't do things together like friends often do.

BTW I NEVER thought I had any kind of syndrome, let alone autism!! !! ! I have to tell you though, I turn around sometimes and think HOW could I have been so blind!?!? There is a lot of evidence.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 6:11 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
the insane people may be the only sane ones!

I agree there.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 6:18 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Juggernaut,

I think I understand what you are saying, but there are movies that even show that the insane people may be the only sane ones!

Anyway, I mainly don't have friends because I have a strict definition of friend, don't get out much, and don't know how to pursue it. Still, most people consider me affable, nice, helpful, and like me. And they HAVE said as much! Many of my acquaintances are BETTER than the friends many have. I just don't consider them friends because they haven't been tested under MY definition, and we don't do things together like friends often do.

BTW I NEVER thought I had any kind of syndrome, let alone autism!! !! ! I have to tell you though, I turn around sometimes and think HOW could I have been so blind!?!? There is a lot of evidence.

:thumright:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 6:28 pm

I would still come here obsessively even if I didn't have problems, because I come here to have fun, not to discuss my personal issues.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 6:44 pm

What I need is the same thing what all other aspies need --- acceptance and respect. The NT world (generally speaking) gets those things. So, would we be here if we got equal treatment? Probably. Because only our own kind can understand one another.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 7:19 pm

Well, faithfilly, frankly I don't think even NTs get respect. This is a disrespectful world.

Kurtz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Nov 2007, 8:18 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
I have long known of my aspergers but still considered most of my differences to be just me being unique--until I spent some time on WP and have been amazed at how time after time my story has been almost identical to others, being held back and being isolated etc., despite feeling that if I were given the appropriate help and opportunities, I would be quite functional and AS would not even actually be an "issue".

So then I began to doubt: if all these other people felt like that, (the borderline cases especially), then perhaps there is no way out. If one person in an asylum said "I'm sane and being held against my will!", perhaps they would be right--but if everyone says that, you can only assume everyone actually is insane. The analogy is not meant to mean those with AS are not sane, but that perhaps if everyone is saying the same thing, but the pattern reveals so many are wrong, why should you not be also wrong? Perhaps you too are a hopeless case who just keeps thinking, what if, despite the fact that there is no "what if".

But here is what I thought: there ought to be many "what if" cases; the reason you do not hear about them is that such people do not reach the point of despair enough to come out and deal with or tell poeple about their problem. There must be millions of people with AS who are perhaps a bit "odd", but stil functional and happy enough that they do not even consider the idea they have a syndrome. Many indeed may feel different, but function enough that they appear to the world to be 100% purebred neurotypical. If you were that "what if" that had actually been given what you needed, you would never have a reason to get onto wrong planet at all.

I myself feel like I have always been on the edge but never given the opportunity enough to go all the way over. Finally I have recently been able to, but so long spent isolated by my family meant that the moment I got isolated again I went back to square one--the difference being that I realized where i was now however, realising that all I needed was the momentum of a few months or years of stability to catupult me into a stable future.

Anyway, it's the frustration not of having a disabilty, but of having an ability and not being allowed to use it. Like a child with weak legs being told he is a cripple so he is not allowed out of his wheel chair to excercise his legs.

Either way, I don't get along or connect with many people. But the few I do, I crave that relationship which I have gotten time to time but always lost.

Also, I feel functional enough that the only places I go to for discussion are the haven and the autism discussion. I don't come here just to talk about anything, I come here to discuss issues that pertain to AS and mental issues. I have those issues, but people in society generally like me, enoug that once I get stable, I think I'll be able to get into that functional mode I've been in for temporary times, permanently.

I did not receive the requisite amount of cowbell.

And no.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 8:24 pm

In most ways, I have pretty much all I need. I suppose I wouldn't see the need on being on a site such as this one if I were functioning completely typically. I feel guilty enough posting here sometimes, because my situation is better than that of most people here. I made a list of goals here on one post. If they are all met, I may think of leaving WP. Until then, however, I will be here to give support to anyone who needs it, especially to parents of AS kids and the kids themselves.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 9:43 pm

I never heard anything about it till I was sixty.

AS is too rare to consider, considering the percentage dead, in jail, mental hospital, none of the above but barred from being around humans, I did well.

All of the Super NTs can be found in the Obits, dead at 43, some heart attack, or the ominous, suddenly at home.

They are super social, but they have a short run. When you will do anything to get ahead, no one wants to know you.

I know some fifty year old women who are still playing high school.

NT is a shallow life, and they do not age well.

We may get called names, they start calling themselves names.

I lived in an NT world, few people did not suck, and that is what everyone thought about everyone.

Thier basic MO was talk sports and pick pockets.

I have known criminals, they called them petty thieves.

Invite them to your house a few things will fall in their pockets.

Had a friend with an antique store, in my biker days, I thought he was odd, because he welcomed me.

You do not think I might have come to rob you? He said the ones to watch were fifty year old white women, in twos and threes, well dressed. While one distracts you the others are looting, they all carry purses, big purses.

He was not talking about roving gangs, he said all of them.

NT is a bluff, call it.

Aspies are new to me. I like them, I think they are better humans.

They have drive, perserverance, they do learn things in detail, they also seem honest, truthful, out front about meanings and feelings.

I have no idea why anyone would want to be NT.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 9:53 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:

Me too, although my ignorance was to do with not having been properly educated about autism. My first reading about it talked of the lowest functioning people and the savants.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 10:37 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Me too, although my ignorance was to do with not having been properly educated about autism. My first reading about it talked of the lowest functioning people and the savants.

You're right about that, I'm the same(Smart, better behaved than most, etc...). My parents once marveled how well behaved I was. Don't get me wrong, I did things my own way, etc... talked back, etc... HECK, I was a latchkey kid! That basically means I was given free reign from like 3PM to who knows when!? I had to get my own food, etc... Sometimes I went to sleep not even knowing where my mother was. I didn't even know if my father was still alive.

Still, even AFTER hearing about some of the symptoms, I never considered it. My seemingly outgoing attitude was new.(At times I may even appear extroverted. I HATE shaking hands, but do. I often later use hand sanitizer. I HATE prepared food, but try to stomach it. I HATE misplaced arrogance, but don't speak up.) My sensitivities couldn't really be hidden. But stims, slowness, weak areas, were hidden or reduced long ago and almost forgotten. I guess if I pushed it out in the open, and put it on the table every day, I WOULD have seen another psychiatrist. BUT, as I said, I was smart, and was able to compensate and hide, so I even fooled MYSELF! :roll:

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 10:53 pm

I was desperate for stimulation. I would have done anything. WP stimulated me a bit. I posted as muich as I could, to get as much stimulation as I could get. I PMed as many people as I could too. I was feeling miserable and everyone seemed to have a life, so I couldn't talk to them for too long!