If youd been given what you needed, would you even be on WP?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 10:53 pm

I was desperate for stimulation. I would have done anything. WP stimulated me a bit. I posted as muich as I could, to get as much stimulation as I could get. I PMed as many people as I could too. I was feeling miserable and everyone seemed to have a life, so I couldn't talk to them for too long!

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 12:07 am

I'd be here, because everyone here is interesting. End of story.
btdt

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

22 Nov 2007, 3:08 am

If I'd been given (have?) what I needed, would I be here... Interesting to ponder.

I like this community. I like the people here. I like writing for them; it makes my day in a very large way whenever someone drops me a line about how they like reading what I write, or something that I wrote inspired them or made them feel better, etc; and that happens surprisingly frequently, much to my continued amazement.

Hmm. As I see it, I am here basically for five reasons, four of which are pretty much guaranteed/constant, and one of which is just something that I'm hoping for.

a) I seek catharsis through writing; I do that here, in the forums. I enjoy writing, enjoy letting myself run free while writing, and I constantly do that here. I also enjoy exploring the ideas of others, and exchanging ideas with them, and I do that through my writings also. I don't need to always come up with the ideas for what to write about here; I can just respond to threads that my fellow creatures start, and enjoy observing who starts threads about what...

b) I seek to try to better understand people on the autism spectrum, and maybe just "freaks and weirdoes" in general. I can do that here. For every seemingly odd story that I read that echoes my own, I feel just a bit less lonely. And also, my son is LFA/MFA autistic. Most here are AS, but I'm particularly fond of the seemingly few highly autistic folks hereabouts who are somehow able to find ways out of their autistic shells and be part of this community. It is one of my fondest hopes that my son will be able to do that some day, as others here have. (KingdomOfRats and Danielismyname, I'm looking in your direction. :wink: )

c) I derive beneficial positive energies that I can use to heal myself when I heal others. Thus I seek to encourage and advise and help out as best I can. I'm not always successful, but I am much more often than not. Every time I can help someone feel better, I feel better myself; I am a healer at heart (my father is a doctor, as an interesting aside), and whenever I exercise my healer's spirit, I can help both others and myself. Win win for everyone.

d) Friends and socialization... An online community is not quite the same as real life interactions... But it is very close in many ways, no? There are many here, male and female, whom I consider to be my friends, and just generally people I like, and enjoy learning from and interacting with. Spending time with this community helps satisfy some innate socialization need, which is good for me mentally.

e) Here's the "stretch" goal: I'm looking for someone to share my life with, a single female, my mate so to speak, the "muse and equal" I mention in my profile. Perhaps I will find her here. Perhaps not. But I continue to search. I've found a few near candidates already (I'm very picky), but nobody yet who quite fits the bill, AND will have me. And I do have my eye on a small few here with that in mind; I'd be surprised if they did not know who they were (I'm very blunt, and do not like to waste our precious time with ambiguity of "do I like you or not").

So while (e) is just a hope, (a) through (d) are fairly constant, and so I plan to remain here for the foreseeable future. Even if I find (e) (here or elsewhere), I will likely remain a member of this community.

In the end, despite some rough times I've had here, I'm extremely thankful that this community exists. Interestingly, it is 12:02am where I am, 11/22, which (in the states) means it is Thanksgiving. The Wrong Planet is one of the things I am thankful for in this life. (And Alex should know that of me at this point.)

Good fortune,

- Icarus is at home on the Wrong Planet...

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 6:01 am

lelia wrote:
Well, faithfilly, frankly I don't think even NTs get respect. This is a disrespectful world.

I think NTs get phony respect. I don't even get that (maybe because I'm not phony?). They obviously get acceptance because I don't see any "neurotypicalspeak.org" to cure NTism now via government (our tax dollars) funding!

As for being on WrongPlanet.net, it's who we are...so where else would be gather if not here (besides the smaller offshoots of similar forums)?