I sometimes work 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
Family (parents, etc.) 35%  35%  [ 20 ]
The government / welfare 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 57

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Nov 2007, 5:38 pm

I didn't pick any of them. I have a job but the pay isn't that great. I have a 4 year teaching degree but haven't been able to find a teaching job because I'm too weird evidently. I never know how long I'm going to have a job. I quit working as a 3rd shift AS400 operator back in 2002 so I could finish school (coulcn't work 3rd shift and do student teaching at the same time). So anyway....I graduated in 2004 and I've been working weird odd jobs since then. I substitute taught, I was a director at a daycare, I worked for CPS with the state, and now I work for a company that works with people with disabilities. I like this job, but the pay is kinna crappy and I have to listen to my husband b***h about how grossly underpaid I am all of the time.
It sucks.
I would rather just stay home and sew all day, but can't figure out a way to do that, yet.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 8:07 pm

Sustwhat?

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 8:12 pm

Currently parents, but I could do with a part-time job at the weekends, a nice little earner of experience and £££s. I couldn't get EMA, either. That would be scrounging, mind you.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 11:13 pm

I get by on financial aid and occasional contributions from my parents. My boyfriend charges me really low rent ($250/month including utilities).

I've never made more than $8,000 in a year. A typical year's income is about $4,000. I've never even made enough money to qualify for unemployment pay (you have to have made a certain amount of $$$ during the six months before you lost your job). As a consequence, I've had some experiences that make me really appreciate my current situation.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 11:51 pm

Well, I worked for a long time. Sometimes I loved my job, sometimes I hated it, didn't really get to enjoy working until I was doing something where I was kinda working for myself (I mean working freelance for other people), which I still do, but I managed to support a wife and a kid, who also has AS (the kid), but he's very good at a lot of stuff, so I think he's not going to have trouble getting a job. Keeping it is what worries me. Some days, I'd come home and I was a nervous wreck.

If you can get into something that involves computers (although that's changing), you'll probably be alright. But that can be "outsourced" too, so you have to just get into something you like and hope it lasts. I agree with the woman who said she can't save anything. I can't either.

Beentheredonethat

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2007, 11:52 pm

As 2ukenkerl said, without the age component, it is a little harder to get a good feel for the issue.

At 41, I pull in a nice living with a very strong pension fund. I have a wife, a son, a nice house in a nice neighborhood, even though some of the ladies in the neighborhood exhibit "Stepford" tendencies.

I first went out on my own at about 23, and then I lived back with my mother after hitting rock bottom when I was about 30. I climbed back up with a helping hand and went back to school and got my computer degree.

LogicGenerator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2007, 12:03 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
Well, I do ok on my salary. This poll, without an age component, isn't very meaningful. After all, we ALL relied on our parents/guardians to some degree at some age.
I lived with my parents through the summer after my High School graduation, but I had a job then. I went to college with no financial help from them. I worked many part time jobs until I graduated. Afterward, the economy was rough and I was in and out of work but I still had no need to go home.

In two years, I should be pulling in six figures.

Synchronicity
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Nov 2007, 9:12 am

I live with my family and I get disability.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 6:35 pm

I work at a lumber yard loading and unloading trucks. I get paid for it, but it's not exactly great pay.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:31 pm

I used to have a good salary, but I would just depress myself even more if I wrote about my current situation.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:16 pm

When I read the title I thought this post was going to be about something other than finances. I was going to say I live on peanut butter sandwiches, chocolate, chicken, pudding and crackers as in I constantly eat those things.

But anyways I make an ok salary working full time in computer data entry. I used to make a whole lot more but they have pretty much banned overtime. I used to be an overtime junky and work 50+ hrs a week. I managed to buy myself a nice violin with one month's worth of overtime, but that was the good ol' days! :roll:

Last edited by Ticker on 24 Nov 2007, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:41 pm

I am a full-time college student, and I plan to work as much as my class schedules will allow.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:58 pm

I live at home and I'm on disability.

asperity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Nov 2007, 1:21 am

I work taking care of animals. Awful pay, weird schedule, crazy boss, but the animals are a joy.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

25 Nov 2007, 2:18 am

Currenly I am at home living off my mother...yes I know I should get a job, but I am soon.

I also might be moving out of home in december.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:20 am

WHAT IS SUSTAINENCE?!