Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 3:10 pm

The more the generalizations there are in an argument, the less credible the argument is to me because generalizations are rarely, if ever, true. One major generalization that continues to be used by people on WP and elsewhere is the generalization that all religious people have X in common. Whenever the term "religious" is used in an argument, I immediately stop taking the argument seriously. There might be a grain of truth in some of the arguments, but because the authors aren't responsible enough to be specific and accurate about their subject, I don't feel obligated to seriously consider them. If people would make arguments based on specific accurate information instead of generalizing and exaggerating, they might find that their arguments are much stronger.

QG_Valentine
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2007, 3:29 pm

Agreed, but to some extent generalizations have to be made. You can't be completely knowledgeable of the topic, but there's a difference between forced negligence and purposeful negligence.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 3:30 pm

In other words, don't count your x before it's hatched.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 4:02 pm

QG_Valentine wrote:
Agreed, but to some extent generalizations have to be made. You can't be completely knowledgeable of the topic, but there's a difference between forced negligence and purposeful negligence.

I'm sure that a lot of people actually mean a type of Christianity when they say "religious," because often the next sentence in their argument is something about Biblical theology. However, they don't say Christianity because that would be 1. politically incorrect and 2. somewhat trolling. I understand the sentiment of not wanting to attract the zealots, but usually it does anyway, so why not try to be more accurate.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 4:10 pm

What makes you think "Christianity" is not a generalization?

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 4:23 pm

Sand wrote:
What makes you think "Christianity" is not a generalization?

It is a generalization, but it is more specific than just saying "religion." If the argument uses the term religious then the argument should draw examples from many religions not just one. If the examples in an argument are all from just one religion the term religious is not specific enough to really describe what the argument is actually about.

There are many levels of specificity, take Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species for example. If I made an argument about a whole Family of living things based on one Genus or one Species, I would be generalizing my conclusions too far. However, if the the argument began and ended at the same level of specificity, the argument might be credible and make more sense.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 4:34 pm

well, I think that the term religious is used with christians that are devoted to their beliefs, and go to church and apply all of the dogmas from it to their lives, apart from believers who believe in Jesus and stuff, but are not devoted.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

greenblue wrote:
well, I think that the term religious is used with christians that are devoted to their beliefs, and go to church and apply all of the dogmas from it to their lives, apart from believers who believe in Jesus and stuff, but are not devoted.

If that is the case, then when someone uses it in the technical sort of way you describe they should give the technical definition of the term. Otherwise, they leave too much room for misinterpretation.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 4:48 pm

There's a difference between generalizations and over generalizations.

A generalization is a statement that is generally true, while not in every single case. It is the most common way humans communicate, and is usually understood by its hearers that is was not meant as an exact representation of reality.

An over generalization is a statement that is not generally true, giving a false impression of reality.

Last edited by Ragtime on 27 Nov 2007, 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 4:50 pm

Ragtime wrote:

A generalization is a statement that is generally true, while not in every single case. It is the most common way humans communicate.

An over generalization is a statement that is not generally true.

Okay, then do you agree that when people use the term "religious" but obviously are only talking about Christianity, that they are making an over generalization and that it hurts the credibility of their arguments.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 4:52 pm

spdjeanne wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

A generalization is a statement that is generally true, while not in every single case. It is the most common way humans communicate.

An over generalization is a statement that is not generally true.

Okay, then do you agree that when people use the term "religious" but obviously are only talking about Christianity, that they are making an over generalization and that it hurts the credibility of their arguments.

Yes, I agree.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 4:56 pm

Ragtime wrote:

A generalization is a statement that is generally true, while not in every single case. It is the most common way humans communicate, and is usually understood by its hearers that is was not meant as an exact representation of reality.

An over generalization is a statement that is not generally true, giving a false impression of reality.

I may have over reacted a bit to generalizations in general. :) However, what I'm really trying to criticize is that people are making conclusions about a broader category of specificity than they actually are talking about by using the word religious instead of what they seem to really mean, Christian.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 5:00 pm

Yeah, because there are other religions, not just Christianity, perhaps christian-religious should be better, or only christians?

Last edited by greenblue on 27 Nov 2007, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

spdjeanne wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

I may have over reacted a bit to generalizations in general. :) However, what I'm really trying to criticize is that people are making conclusions about a broader category of specificity than they actually are talking about by using the word religious instead of what they seem to really mean, Christian.

Yes, that's a pet peave of mine, too. When people bash "religion", they make it obvious that they're just bashing Christianity.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

greenblue wrote:
Yeah, because there are other religions, not just Christianity, perhaps christian-religious should be better, or only christians?

Saying what one means generally works best.

spdjeanne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Nov 2007, 5:05 pm

Ragtime wrote:
spdjeanne wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

Yes, that's a pet peave of mine, too. When people bash "religion", they make it obvious that they're just bashing Christianity.

I think the reason they do it is to force you to say they are talking only about Christianity. Then they can accuse you of being narrow minded because you must not realize that there are other religions out there when, of course, you do.