Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 3:49 pm

I need to vent here, because people with sensory issues and/or ASD children (I happen to have both) will appreciate my frustration more than NTs and/or people without sensory issues or ASD children.

I'm an aspie. I had noise, intrusions and things that don't work the way they are supposed to. We pay good money monthly to have radio that is free of the screaming redundant commercials that drive me to the point of insanity. Rest assured that if I want something, it won't ever be because I heard it from some screaming moron on the radio. In fact, such advertisments typically have quite the opposite effect on me.

Which brings me to yesterday evening as I was feeding my kids dinner and racing around trying to get everything done. I get a phone call, I let the machine get it (I hate talking on the phone, just hearing it ring sends a jolt of adrenaline through me). It's Sirius Radio, playing a COMMERCIAL over my answering machine. Now, if you call my house, it had damn well better be important. That was just ridiculous....especially considering that I signed up for this service to avoid commercials! And they call and play one over my home phone!!?

So okay, I resolved to get up this morning and change my account info to an old cell phone number I no longer use. Thing is, I didn't sleep so well last night. I tossed and turned until 6am (I have restless legs). My son woke up in the middle of the night crying apparently from a nightmare, so I was up for that too. Then at 9am my phone rings. Guess who? Siruis Radio with another commercial!! ! So I was up on three hours of sleep (read: you do NOT want to be in my presence when I've had so little sleep, and you definitely don't want to piss me off). Plus they woke the baby. An autistic two year old on too little sleep makes my attitude look like a kindly old grandma baking cookies for you.

Making matters worse, this happened last year and I told them never call me again or I'd cancel the subscription. I have two satellite radios through Sirius now. And I can guarantee that the next time they want to destroy the very scant bit of peace and quiet I actually have in my home, I will cancel my subscriptions so fast the sheer speed of the action might just undo my ever having subscribed at all. I'm pretty sure I told them this, in so many words, though honestly I can't remember what the hell I said or if it was coherent. Ever been so tired it hurts? The only reasons I didn't cancel rightfreakingnow is that I gave hubby a Sirius Radio and subscription for his birthday last year, and my kids love listening to the children's station on the way to and from taking my daughter to preschool.

And now that I'm up for the day on three hours sleep and have a nice mini-migraine going on, complete with the RLS that I didn't sleep long enough to get rid of, my son - who is also up about an hour too early and fussing his ass off - needs some help using his sign language instead of throwing himself down on the floor in a screaming fit because he dropped his toy truck on the floor.

Thank you, Sirius Radio!

Anyone else REALLY struggle with intrusions like this?

Last edited by siuan on 28 Nov 2007, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 4:39 pm

thats odd, though of switching to XM?? my dad has had it for about a year and so far no ads or commercials over the phone,

in your sirius subscription, have you looked into 3rd party or marketing preferances (how we may contact you)

tried calling and asking about the "service" that is bothering you,

speaking of xm, they started playing christmas songs (i love them!!)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Nov 2007, 7:54 pm

I have satellite TV hooked-up with no land-line phone, it costs me $10.00 extra per month but the peace of mind I
have with no tele-marketers spamming my mind and my time is priceless.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2007, 11:12 pm

doordoctor wrote:
thats odd, though of switching to XM?? my dad has had it for about a year and so far no ads or commercials over the phone,

in your sirius subscription, have you looked into 3rd party or marketing preferances (how we may contact you)

tried calling and asking about the "service" that is bothering you,

speaking of xm, they started playing christmas songs (i love them!!)

I would have done this already, except that XM and Siruis are merging anyhow :(