Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 10:24 am

Isn't it annoying when people try to get into something that is none of their buisness by trying to play like they're a innocent child. Like "It's a worry that your son is talking to himself" Like they're really saying, you can't get upset with me for being nosey, cause all I'll do is glare at you with wide eyes like a frightened 10 year old yelled at by an adult. Behaving childishlessly, seems to be the popular cop-out these days for having to behave like an adult.

crzymom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Dec 2007, 12:44 am

My son talks to himself a lot. he also recites lines from movies and favorite TV shows. I've gotten used to it, but I know a lot of others haven't.

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Dec 2007, 1:03 am

When I talk to myself it's always when I am stressed. It just starts happening and I don't notice it starts.

I also pace across the room and my arms and hands are by my sides and my hands twist at my wrists back and forth towards the inside and outside of my body.

I don't know why I do this. I just do.

Lainie

toscinha
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2007, 2:27 pm

It's not all that uncommon really. One thing I noticed with husband though is that he does it a lot, and will carry on, even laughing...lol...and then when I ask him what is he talking to himself about, he always says nothing. LOL I am certain he is an undiagnosed HFA.

Temma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Dec 2007, 5:28 am

violet_yoshi, you are so right about that. I was really pissed off when the woman mentioned it, but I bet if I had said anything rude back, she would have acted amazed. I'm hopeless at quick and witty retorts. At the moment when one is required my mind goes blank, which is very annoying. I need to memorise a few, I think. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone for all your replies -they are great to read!

Temma

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 9:43 am

Temma wrote:
v I need to memorise a few, I think. Any ideas?

Temma

HAHAHA, Witty Remarks Flash Cards!

What a concept! :D

tentativetitle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2007, 6:53 pm

i talk to myself outloud all the time, sometimes when there are people around. I don't notice it

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Dec 2007, 3:56 am

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
No, I do not ever talk to myself.

Same here. I did, a lot, when I was younger, about ages 4-11, in both dialogue and monologue. Then I stopped suddenly for some reason--I was probably criticised for it or made fun of--and now I have no one to talk to. :(
I still have conversations with myself in my head, though, and that's almost as satisfying.

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 9:55 am

Temma wrote:
Hi everyone,
The woman behind the counter said to me, 'it's a worry that your son is talking to himself'.

I know I would have gone off on her. I find that comment extremely irritating. I've had people stare at us when my son is spinning or do something atypical in public, but people don't say anything to me. I think they know I will scream back at them.

kd
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2007, 9:52 am

I only do it when I am by myself and thinking really hard about something.

My NT 4 year old does it constantly. He also goes around the house singing nursery rhymes for hours on end. My Aspie on the other hand is content to lay in the floor and watch cartoons or play video games and not make a sound.

Scramjet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Dec 2007, 9:28 pm

I've had monologues "leaking" out of me since I was 3 years old. My parents gave me quite a rap for it when they caught me doing it, so over the years I've learned to control it to the point that I never do it when someone else is within hearing range of me. Nowadays I do it almost exclusively whilst at home and alone.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2007, 12:27 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
I used to talk to myself a lot when I was a kid. ... It's almost like I was giving myself what other people were denying me.

YES! What other people weren't giving me was acceptance, assistance, comfort, emotional support, or validation that I was, indeed, "Okay" (i.e., worthy of living and breathing). So whenever I'd get stressed out, I'd talk to myself, say things that I wish I had a friend to say to me, help me sort out whatever difficult situation I was in, give myself pep talks, whatever it took. Sometimes I'd stand in front of a mirror. Sometimes not.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2007, 12:33 pm

Tortuga wrote:
Temma wrote:
Hi everyone,
The woman behind the counter said to me, 'it's a worry that your son is talking to himself'.

I know I would have gone off on her. I find that comment extremely irritating. I've had people stare at us when my son is spinning or do something atypical in public, but people don't say anything to me. I think they know I will scream back at them.

Perhaps she said that because she used to do it herself, and was told it was a bad thing and she should stop, and she's internalized that and just mirroring what was said to her, because she doesn't know any better. I've heard several people here say they used to talk to themselves or flap or whatever and were made to feel terrible about these behaviors and don't do them any longer. Maybe she's one of those people. Not saying it's RIGHT, just saying...maybe she wasn't actually intending to be vicious or hurtful.

I know my mother's MIL wasn't trying to be hurtful when she suggested we just "find a good military school" to send our son away to. She's a lovely woman who means well - she's just woefully ignorant about AS and autism, bless her heart. Screaming or getting nasty at her would not have educated her at all, except to make her think people with AS/autism are violent hateful nutjobs who should probably be locked up for the good of society. That doesn't serve anyone.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2007, 5:04 pm

I talk to myself alot too. Its only a problem if you are talking to yourself in an audible voice. Because then it either creates confusion or alerts everybody to how much you do it, prompting judgements.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 1:22 pm

Wrong Planet is a goldmine of interesting topics.

I am a very analytical person who often engages in external echolalia (talking to myself after hearing something interesting spoken either by my IRM* or another human being). I can have quite the dialogue/monologue(nanologue?!) . Sometimes if my voice gets a little excited I open my cellphone and pretend I'm talking to someone. Most NTs are extremely intolerant of the eccentricies of those who are different, including those of us on the Austism Spectrum. I have had supervisors/co-workers complain to Human Resouces about my behaviour, which has been a partial reason for my current unemployment.

However, this is part of who and what I am and I am not going to apologize. We should not have to.

*Internal Role Model (IRM)