Poll ended at 13 Dec 2007, 12:06 pm
yes 71%  71%  [ 15 ]
no 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 21

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Nov 2007, 10:19 pm

I had my booster shot last week (given to all post-secondary students here - born after 1970.)

I definitely felt pretty sh***y for the next 24 hours or so...

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 2:35 am

Well, considering the people in my family who had and have AS, and who never had an MMR shot...

So far there is no evidence that MMR causes autism. There has been no thimerosol in the vaccines since 2000, and so that shouldn't be a concern for anyone believing that now. And those who said that just because something is poisonous at a certain dose but isn't in trace amounts is right on.

Afterall, too much Vit. A will kill us, but we need it. Too much iron causes problems. But we need it. And even water will kill us if we drink too much. I had a friend who killed himself by drinking too much water and disrupting his electrolytes. He knew that.

And as for people getting better when they had interventions...well, most of us get better as we age. Our AS is not static. We do mature.

Metta.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 3:55 am

Sorry, just to point out... there is still thimerosal in vaccines. Bush vetoed its removal earlier this year. It's also still in most stockpiles, and used in most new vaccines too - you can ask to see the ingredients list next time you go for a jab and have a look. :)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 3:59 am

RainSong wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
Personally I believe it does have a link in those already predisposed to developing Autism/AS. I know AS runs strongly in my family, and I know there are proven genetic links, so to me that would imply that it's the 'straw that breaks the camel's back' as such for certain people, hence the kids who regress within hours of having it, and the ones who don't.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. My father has AS, and I'm pretty certain my grandfather (his father) does as well. That would make both my brother and I predisposed to having it, and as the male, I think he's probably a little more predisposed to having it (being there are statistically far more males than females with it). We both had the shots; I have AS, he doesn't. I was a sickly enough kid before that age, I guess, but it was almost all ear infections, nothing too serious. On the other hand, he was even more sickly; hospitalized and all.

I'm pretty sure my father didn't get the MMR shot; I vaguely remember being told that he managed to get mumps because of the lack of vaccination. I suppose it's possible he got it later, but he definitely displayed traits before then and after. I don't think my grandfather would have had it either; the family wasn't real big on that sort of stuff.

I don't think that the nurse being distant is really that important. It's possible that she recognized that there would be no changing your mother's mind, or perhaps she was tired that day or something. I've had odd nurses with shots before; it had nothing to do with the shots, just the nurses themselves. *shrug* I had one nurse tell me that anyone would didn't visibly react to the shot (flinch, shake, ect) was either under the age of five and therefore unable to tell the shot was coming, or "just crazy". I didn't react to the shot at all, just sat there and watched her with a bit of interest; I was 16 at the time. I wasn't crazy (well, maybe), I just wasn't sensitive to needles.

As some others have mentioned, any of the trio of diseases can be quite serious. It's better to live than to risk having some symptoms increased. And if you're all ready autistic, I don't think it's really going to affect you more; you've had the shot once all ready.

That's fair enough, and I agree - as I said, AS is in my family pretty strongly (cousins, my grandfather - though undiagnosed - and I'm sure of my brothers) and some of them wouldn't have had the MMR jab. I just think for some people who wouldn't have developed AS or autism it can be the tipping point that pushes them over. Not all people of course, and not all autistics/AS get the jab anyway.

I just don't believe in vaccines full stop - I don't necessarily believe in the MMR/Autism thing, but I do think that there are far too many parents reporting the same thing for there not to be at least something in it.

I've had both mumps AND rubella by the way, despite MMR and all the boosters. :(

leew2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2008, 10:28 am

My mum noticed odd behavior and thought something was not quite right long before I had my MMR. For that reason my opinion of all this MMR causing autism business is that it is a load of bull.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 11:48 am

ChelseaOcean wrote:
MrMacPhisto wrote:
Correlation does not imply causation. I got my first pair of glasses just after I started going to kindergarten and there was no sign I needed them until then (ask anyone who knows me! they'll all tell you it's true!), but that doesn't mean that going to school causes children's eyesight to fail.

The fact that autism symptoms usually begin around the same age that the MMR booster is usually given is a coincidence.

Correlation can't prove causation. However, a correlation definitely makes it more likely that there is a cause-effect relationship. If thousands become autistic after a DPT or MMR vaccine, it strongly indicates that the vaccine was the cause. In the case of MMR, the scientific evidence supports it. Therefore, MMR is a likely cause of autism.

You example with eyeglasses is irrelevent because there's no logical reason to support a connection between eyesight and school. With MMR, the science supports a connection.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 11:50 am

leew2 wrote:
My mum noticed odd behavior and thought something was not quite right long before I had my MMR. For that reason my opinion of all this MMR causing autism business is that it is a load of bull.

Your example is irrelevant. I was autistic long before MMR. However, I feel strongly that MMR causes autism. It just wasn't the cause in my case.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 6:51 pm

zendell wrote:
leew2 wrote:

Your example is irrelevant. I was autistic long before MMR. However, I feel strongly that MMR causes autism. It just wasn't the cause in my case.

I agree. You're one case out of how many million...? So that argument doesn't really hold up.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 8:38 pm

Well if you don't get immunized for mumps, say... get married, contract the disease and pass it to your husband, he can be rendered sterile.... if you don't get immunized for rubella, get pregnant and contract the disease there can be birth defects.... and yes, people do die from measles. As they found out in the UK over th past couple of years.... because of the people who refused to immnunize their kids and provided a vector for the virus to be transmitted. :wall:

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 8:55 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
Sorry, just to point out... there is still thimerosal in vaccines. Bush vetoed its removal earlier this year. It's also still in most stockpiles, and used in most new vaccines too - you can ask to see the ingredients list next time you go for a jab and have a look. :)

NO.

FOR THE LAST BLOODY TIME, NO.

Not to mention, the MMR vax has NEVER contained thimerosal. Not even a trace amount.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 9:04 pm

Actually, yes.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... oval&meta=

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 9:11 pm

It's used in flu vaccines. Per the recent California study into autism rates and vaccination, it was removed from all childhood vaccines OTHER than influenza about 4 years ago. Rates of autism continued to rise at an increasing rate. Possibly it's caused by holistic or homeopathic remedies tried by the parents both pre- and postnatal.... Makes as much sense as most of the stuff I've seen spouted... uh I mean "touted" lately... :wall:

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 9:16 pm

LeKiwi wrote:

Not only is Thimerosal not banned but, get this, the CDC (center for disease control in the US) is now RECOMMENDING NEW THIMEROSAL VACCINES TO REPLACE THE BANNED VACCINES!

For the first time, the CDC is now recommending that 6-24 month old children get flu shots which still contain Thimerosal (50% mercury and they support keeping mercury in flu shots).

I wonder why the US government is so intent on injecting mercury into 6-24 month old babies. It will make it difficult to determine whether autism decreases after Thimerosal is removed because children will be getting Thimerosal from the newly recommended vaccines.

Quote:
California bans mercury-containing vaccines for pregnant women, kids

Oct 1, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Pregnant women and children younger than 3 in California will soon no longer receive vaccines containing more than a trace of mercury, under a law approved this week.

Vaccines for those groups will contain no more than a trace of thimerosal (termed thimerosal-free in the industry)—a preservative in some vaccines that contains ethyl mercury. The law takes effect in July 2006, according to news services...

But this year, in recommending for the first time that 6- to 23-month-old children routinely get flu shots, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in May did not go on record in favor of a thimerosal-free formulation of the vaccine.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/conten ... uvacc.html

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 9:20 pm

AspieDave wrote:
It's used in flu vaccines. Per the recent California study into autism rates and vaccination, it was removed from all childhood vaccines OTHER than influenza about 4 years ago. Rates of autism continued to rise at an increasing rate. Possibly it's caused by holistic or homeopathic remedies tried by the parents both pre- and postnatal.... Makes as much sense as most of the stuff I've seen spouted... uh I mean "touted" lately... :wall:

That CA study at http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt53320.html is a joke. It looks like it was deliberately created to convince us there isn't a link between thimerosal and autism.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 9:21 pm

Kiwi and zendell,

What you are saying here is misinformation.

Thimerosal is banned in ALL required vaccines, and has been since 2001.

Some flu vaccines still contain it, but it is possible to get them thimerosal-free.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 9:21 pm

The quoted article you posted is from 2004. It's 2008. Check the calender....

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: