Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 3:43 pm

My Mum told me that I am naive, and socially thick and stupid, yes, in those words exactly.

What's even better is that my psychiatrist (who is supposed to know that I have AS) told my Mum that I am naive.

I try my best to have the social mind of an NT, but it rarely works! I have only just mastered booking appointments!

I feel like a three year old!

30 Nov 2007, 3:58 pm

naivety is common is aspies.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 4:03 pm

I know... But nobody else in RL seems to understand that.

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 4:13 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:

My Mum told me that I am naive, and socially thick and stupid, yes, in those words exactly.

That's kind of bitchy. It doesn't matter what they say, as long as you're comfortable with your naivety. It's you're life, act and view the world as you wish.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 4:21 pm

Ahem...socially naive :D

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2007, 5:29 pm

When you are optimistic, sometimes people call you "naive." Sometimes it is just that they can't see the positive possibilities; they are burned out on life, and jaded.

For example, I often see "potential" in my students where other people wouldn't. And some would call me 'naive' and unrealistic. But I don't care; I still have hope.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 5:31 pm

My mum says dat im naive n sometyms puts me down wen really i ain't dat dumb.

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Nov 2007, 5:42 pm

You want my advice? Don't listen to her. That was wrong of her to say to you.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 5:53 pm

SapphoWoman wrote:
When you are optimistic, sometimes people call you "naive." Sometimes it is just that they can't see the positive possibilities; they are burned out on life, and jaded.

For example, I often see "potential" in my students where other people wouldn't. And some would call me 'naive' and unrealistic. But I don't care; I still have hope.

I like your attititude. We need more people who think like that.

To the origional poster, I'm sorry your mom is being harsh, but it is probably rooted in her own frustration, don't take it to heart.
You will never have the social mind of an NT, but you can learn a lot through experience. One of the most concrete things you can do that I'm aware of is learning kinesics(body language). There are plenty of books out there. I think there's an article on this site as well, but that's pertaining to romance.

Last edited by TheMidnightJudge on 30 Nov 2007, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 5:56 pm

Want to play Go?

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 8:13 pm

The agencies who help me with my autistic daughter say that they have AS people in their caseloads who are frequent victims of preditory people because AS people are often too trusting and naive.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 8:23 pm

beautifuloblivion wrote:
SteelMaiden wrote:

That's kind of bitchy. It doesn't matter what they say, as long as you're comfortable with your naivety. It's you're life, act and view the world as you wish.

QFT!

SteelMaiden,

You sound nice, and smart. I guess we are ALL kind of socially stupid(To say thick is just REDUNDANT!)! I guess, considering the way the world is today, that isn't that bad.

Being Naive is ANOTHER symptom. I don't know about you, but I have been naive at times. Sometimes I ACT naive because I am impulsive, and sometimes give in to pestering.

When I bought my last car, for example, I caught the jerk in like 7 lies(MOST car dealers in the US lie a LOT!! !! !)!* I DID get him to admit all of them! I got him to backout nearly every one. Unfortunately, I gave up, and he left one more in. In a few months, I will probably look naive.

I ALSO sometimes respond to statements with no emotion, and people think I think they are serious, etc... That makes me look even MORE naive!

In other words, I look like 10 times as naive as I am. MAYBE you are the same.

In any event, my mother has called me stupid at times for things that weren't even my fault. Mothers can, at times, be stupid and inconsiderate. OBVIOUSLY, YOURS is no exception. :cry:

* BTW About my statement of car dealers! Want to save upwards of 50% on your next car with NO real haggling? Get amortization tables, or a financial calculator that can handle them and figure out the monthly payment from the offered price YOURSELF!! !! ! The car dealer will almost always state a much higher monthly payment. Indicate to him/her that YOU KNOW BETTER, and want to pay the real rate. It IS interesting to go there and "be offered a given interest rate", for a given term, talking the price down, and finding the SAME term, SAME interest rate, and YOUR price!

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 30 Nov 2007, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Nov 2007, 8:32 pm

As a mom I resent that. NT moms are non-understanding of the thought processes of their spectrum children.

The rest of us strive to make a better path than we followed.

Now with original poster, I agree that it was thoughtless of your mom to say that. Unfair, really. We just don't think that people are going to deceive us if we are being open and honest. We forget how mean people are in reality.

Kick you mom for not understanding you. Then remember that she can't help it because she thinks in straight lines. People who think in straight lines cannot understand how spider web thinking people operate.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 8:49 pm

Well, I DID say "at times". The idea of "spider web thinking" is a good one. I always referred to levels. I like spiderweb better.

I just wish I could use spider thinking on math. With simple math I can do like 2 levels but, otherwise... :cry: Of course, ironically, that is one area in which SteelMaiden is apparently far from stupid.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2007, 10:20 pm

We all have to work with what we've got. Children very frequently can see things that adults neglect because their minds are clouded with adult nonsense. Children are usually very direct and to the point and are aware of the important elements of living much more than adults. There is nothing wrong with being childlike. Simple questions about the world are frequently the most difficult to answer.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2007, 7:54 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
naivety is common is aspies.

Yar I guess it is... I think I've been in denial about the fact that I am quite naive... but I find it shouldn't hinder you if you are comfortable with it.