Alleged cyber crime kingpin suffers autism (asperger's)

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Dec 2007, 5:20 pm

New Zealand Press Association wrote:
The mother of a Whitianga teenager with Asperger's syndrome allegedly involved in a multi-million dollar international cyber crime ring says she had no idea of her son's involvement in the ring.

Asperger's syndrome is a mild form of autism often characterised by social isolation but great intelligence and talent in a particular area.

The FBI suspect Walker is "AKILL" – the cyber figure who is the ringleader of a "botnet" which has infected a million computers with a virus which has resulted in an estimated $NZ26 million-plus of economic loss.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4309237a11.html

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 5:26 pm

Haha I saw that... and he's from Whitianga of all places!! Seriously, I don't think you could have picked a more obscure, random place if you'd tried.

Last I heard, they're now talking about getting him to help the police cyber-crime teams by showing them how he did it and how the programmes work, rather than charging him as such.

Not keen on the use of the word 'suffer' in the headline.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 5:57 pm

Yeah, I saw that article earlier today; it's interesting. He's obviously very good.

LeKiwi wrote:
Not keen on the use of the word 'suffer' in the headline.

I wasn't either. It seemed melodramatic; I understand why they would want to mention it (to make it more interesting), but suffers isn't such a great descriptor.

Three years!

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 6:04 pm

Now there's a bad example to Aspies everywhere.

On sabbatical...

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 7:55 pm

Akill is autistic????

How many savants out there, autistic or not are that smart? I'm not and I work for my school's Tech department.

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Dec 2007, 8:42 pm

Quatermass, I hate to say it but at least he isn't one of the stupid ones.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2007, 9:27 pm

Sorry, I didn't notice your post Alex.

I don't think reflects too badly on us Aspies, it could be worse.

The general public has a difficult time linking stolen digital ones and zeros with real crime. People don't think that a hacker ... such as this, who sits alone in his bedroom, is as an evil as a thief who uses violence to physically steel money. They also admire their intelligence and cunning. The pattern I have seen in cases like this, is a short custodial sentence followed by a high paying job in IT - usually in network security. This pattern seems to fit this situation, as the papers are emphasizing his intelligence.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 3:15 am

Diamonddavej wrote:

The general public has a difficult time linking stolen digital ones and zeros with real crime. People don't think that a hacker ... such as this, who sits alone in his bedroom, is as an evil as a thief who uses violence to physically steel money. They also admire their intelligence and cunning. The pattern I have seen in cases like this, is a short custodial sentence followed by a high paying job in IT - usually in network security. This pattern seems to fit this situation, as the papers are emphasizing his intelligence.

This guy is going to get a job alright, either for the FBI, CIA, or NSA. He's listable material. trust me, three guys I know at my college, if they applied themselves, would be recruitable.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 3:58 am

Interesting.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

03 Dec 2007, 4:41 am

Gamester wrote:
Diamonddavej wrote:

This guy is going to get a job alright, either for the FBI, CIA, or NSA. He's listable material. trust me, three guys I know at my college, if they applied themselves, would be recruitable.

That's what I was thinking. I remember The Core where this bad Hacker is asked by the FBI to Hack the world to keep the mission a secret. That was my immediate first thought. I give him kudos for the effort.Negative Karma for the intention though.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 8:01 am

alex wrote:

There is stupidity, and then there is malice. He may have AS, and he may be as smart as hell, but that is no excuse for committing fraud and damage on such a scale. I have been infected with malware of the sort like his lot likes to make, and it is not fun. People like him either don't care about the damage they cause, or get a kick out of it. Malice and stupidity or mediocrity is bad enough. Malice and intelligence is the worst sort of combination.

On sabbatical...

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 8:21 am

LeKiwi wrote:
Haha I saw that... and he's from Whitianga of all places!! Seriously, I don't think you could have picked a more obscure, random place if you'd tried.

Even more obscure and random than the Urewera Ranges? :wink:

Gee I thought NZ was a quiet country but apparently it's a hotbed of terrorists, cyber criminals, violent politicians, and Coldplay copyright infringers... :lol:

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 1:55 pm

pandd wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Gee I thought NZ was a quiet country but apparently it's a hotbed of terrorists, cyber criminals, violent politicians, and Coldplay copyright infringers... :lol:

and that is probably where we get all the CIA and NSA "best" from. :)

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Dec 2007, 8:28 pm

Quatermass wrote:
alex wrote:

There is stupidity, and then there is malice. He may have AS, and he may be as smart as hell, but that is no excuse for committing fraud and damage on such a scale. I have been infected with malware of the sort like his lot likes to make, and it is not fun. People like him either don't care about the damage they cause, or get a kick out of it. Malice and stupidity or mediocrity is bad enough. Malice and intelligence is the worst sort of combination.

Unfortunately whenever someone uses their "gifts" maliciously, whoever else is gifted but awkward gets stigmatized as
a potential "Una-Bomber" or some other miscreant.

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2007, 11:17 pm

richie wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
alex wrote:

Unfortunately whenever someone uses their "gifts" maliciously, whoever else is gifted but awkward gets stigmatized as
a potential "Una-Bomber" or some other miscreant.

I'd say that's probably not the case, but those savants with tech ability are regarded with a bit higher suspicion, just because.......well, we're a dangerous bunch.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2007, 2:56 pm

pandd wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

The uraWHEREas?! ;)

I know, it's crazy, who would've thought... for a giant farm with lots of sheep we're not doing too badly really!! Specially with Coldplay. Reckon he'll do a Topp Twins duet for Christmas? :D