Play older games purely for nostalgia?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Immured
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Dec 2007, 6:05 pm

I no longer play videogames very much anymore, but every now and then, I will download the odd rom for a few days and send myself back to a previous state of mind. Anyone else like to play games they remember from earlier times just for the sake of returning to a state when life was simpler and things evoked wonder?

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Dec 2007, 6:07 pm

Hell ya! My old Sega Genisis I got for Christmas when I was 9 I enjoy more then games out now.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2007, 7:06 pm

I do that sometimes.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2007, 1:56 pm

I will play through games I've already completed before sometimes, but that's usually because I have nothing to do.

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2007, 5:24 am

not a year goes by where i dont play all of the half life games at least once over again.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 12:23 am

I play some old games just when I'm nostalgic, and I also play other old games because they are awesome!

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2007, 7:20 am

I play my Metroid Prime games again, but that's mainly so I can complete hard mode.

Dreamweaver
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2007, 5:21 am

I tried installed Return To Zork yesterday but my computer wouldn't have it. I mainly have this for research though (database I'm creating) so games aren't on much.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 12:51 am

When I started playing video games, I was in 2nd grade, the big game at the time was Super Mario Bros. My how far gaming has came, I still like the older games as much sometimes as I like more recent ones, in some cases I may even prefer some older games to some newer ones (depending on which two games they are).
Man, I remember playing monster party, battle of olympus, faxanado, legend of zelda, metal gear (8-bit), boy and his blob, mike tyson's punch out, ninja turtles, ninja gaiden, castlevania, metroid, mega man, when they were all recent games in fact, when I was a small child.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 2:56 am

snake321 wrote:
When I started playing video games, I was in 2nd grade, the big game at the time was Super Mario Bros. My how far gaming has came, I still like the older games as much sometimes as I like more recent ones, in some cases I may even prefer some older games to some newer ones (depending on which two games they are).
Man, I remember playing monster party, battle of olympus, faxanado, legend of zelda, metal gear (8-bit), boy and his blob, mike tyson's punch out, ninja turtles, ninja gaiden, castlevania, metroid, mega man, when they were all recent games in fact, when I was a small child.

Aww, you're just a young'un :wink:

When I started playing video games it was Pong on our brand new COLOR! Television set! 8O

rasha
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2007, 10:47 am

Oh Yeah I definetly do this from time to time. I had the old Sega Genesis that I got for Christmas in 92(and I still have it lol it just doesn't work:(. I loved playing the old sonic games the sonic games 3-d games today I really don't like it. I also use to play ToeJam and Earl,Streets of Rage,Earthworm Jim.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 12:01 am

Halo is not even half as good as OO7 Goldeneye! WOOT!! !

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 1:46 am

I forgot to say that the only 'old' game I play right now is "Asteroids"... as a widget on my Opera browser.

Takes me back to when my brother and I were carrying on and getting into all sorts of trouble... ahhhh... the good old days! :roll: :P

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 3:26 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I never understood what the big idea behind HALO is, there have always been a thousand clones of that game, in fact HALO is a clone of the thousands that came before it came out. It's a cheesey story line, just another bionic suit guy running around shooting at people (yeah we've neeeeeevvvvveeeeeeeerrrr seen anything like that before :roll:).
Why don't they just call it "video game"? I mean that is about how generic HALO is..... Sorry if I've offended anyone, I just really don't understand how or why HALO is blowing up so big in the gaming market, I see it as nothing more than trash honestly.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 4:52 pm

snake321 wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I never understood what the big idea behind HALO is, there have always been a thousand clones of that game, in fact HALO is a clone of the thousands that came before it came out. It's a cheesey story line, just another bionic suit guy running around shooting at people (yeah we've neeeeeevvvvveeeeeeeerrrr seen anything like that before :roll:).
Why don't they just call it "video game"? I mean that is about how generic HALO is..... Sorry if I've offended anyone, I just really don't understand how or why HALO is blowing up so big in the gaming market, I see it as nothing more than trash honestly.

Halo could be better if it had a real storyline. Anyone read the Halo books? I did a little, but they weren't worth keeping in my opinion. They fell into the trash can... :P

Space
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 7:59 pm

Immured wrote:
I no longer play videogames very much anymore, but every now and then, I will download the odd rom for a few days and send myself back to a previous state of mind. Anyone else like to play games they remember from earlier times just for the sake of returning to a state when life was simpler and things evoked wonder?

Yep. I played Commander keen (old pc game) the other week. It reminded me of when I was in grade 1 and 2.