Play older games purely for nostalgia?

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Space
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2007, 7:59 pm

Immured wrote:
I no longer play videogames very much anymore, but every now and then, I will download the odd rom for a few days and send myself back to a previous state of mind. Anyone else like to play games they remember from earlier times just for the sake of returning to a state when life was simpler and things evoked wonder?

Yep. I played Commander keen (old pc game) the other week. It reminded me of when I was in grade 1 and 2.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 5:15 am

I sure do. The Mega Man games for the NES (MM1-MM6) are my favorites.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

tekno
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2007, 5:05 pm

I occasionally play pacman and tetris.

ihitterdal
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2007, 11:00 pm

No, but for some reason, they interest me anyway.

Although I would like to play Mystical Ninja again...

Aluminumticket
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2008, 2:58 am

Yup, Pokemon Red and Blue, Super Mario 64.

Trugen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 5:09 pm

i not only do it for nostalgia
i do it, cause often times, the older gaems are better, i love the past
even things from before my time

Omni: Temp
Face of Madness: Myself :twisted:

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 5:13 pm

Hellz yeah I do. I've gone back to games like Shadowrun, Mega Man, any SNES FF, and countless others. Iuhno, they just rock that hard.

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2008, 7:35 pm

Quite often actually, if I had played a game during a happy time if I want to feel the way I did then,also the reverse is true if I played a game and I was unhappy I will avoid it and even it's music. Mario 64 puts me in a very good mood.

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2008, 8:10 pm

We just started playing Heroes of Might and Magic III again. It was just a better game than IV and V won't play on our elderly computer!

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 8:23 pm

greendeltatke wrote:
We just started playing Heroes of Might and Magic III again. It was just a better game than IV and V won't play on our elderly computer!

MIGHT AND MAGIC!! *adds that to his list of past time favorites* God, I remember playing that on a computer that couldn't even support Windows in the form of a floppy disk. And I'd even play that again if I could.

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2008, 8:42 pm

I definitely do dig out my old Sierra classics (Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry) every now and then.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 8:47 pm

Katou wrote:
I definitely do dig out my old Sierra classics (Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry) every now and then.

This thread is like memory lane. Leisure Suit Larry! I thoroughly enjoyed playing that in my pubescent years :twisted:

Usagi1992
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 9:24 am

I occasionally play a rom of the classic Legend of Zelda for the original NES. Still challenging, even today. ^_^

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 10:30 am

the original oregon trail.
the original lemmings.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2008, 5:28 pm

I was deprived of such memories in my youth, as at that time, my parents believed video games were evil. I still remember my Mom explaining to me how this kid I thought was my friend was a bad person because he played video games.

When the Nintendo 64 came out, they did the inevitable and caved in. The system was for me and my brother to share and we bought Super Mario 64 and Star Fox 64, the former of which was the one I had picked, having seen it at Blockbuster and fantasized about playing it for ages. Scott got his turn first, and played the game on our enourmous TV. When it was my turn, I had to play it on the small TV because my Mom had pulled out a warning booklet that told her about how the HUD could cause burn-in on a projection TV.

About 6 months ago, I purchased Super Mario 64 DS. It was a real treat to relive the past, but I always remind myself that the most valuable part of the past is that which is so easily forgotten - the fact that life was no more perfect back then than it is now. I hope I don't forget what it is like to be disrespected as a kid when I become an old man. As for Mario 64, it is really quite a frustrating game.

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2008, 8:51 pm

I'm another Mario 64 fan. I still have my original N64 from April 1997 (although it's on a better TV now). I play it now and then, usually creating a new file and starting over to see how far I can get without a book.

I got all 120 stars on the file I started nearly 11 years ago. It was long and frustrating (the clock!) but very much worth it.

I play a lot of older games because the newer ones don't appeal to me. While I do keep up with Mario (I love Galaxy!) I find a lot of old games just got lost over the years. Examples include Lemmings, Battle Chess, and the old-style Starfox where you fly the planes. Also, does anyone remember Shufflepuck Cafe? Really old Mac game from the late 1980s.

I remember when Pokeymon was the big rage. I never got into it. I thought it looked dumb (apologies to any fans out there) and I thought the same about virtual pets--especially since I had a real dog at home.

Most of the games I play today are sports games like Madden or any of the baseball games.

Ed software, that's another story. I like to relive my glory days, back before I was as anxiety-stricken as I am now, by playing Carmen Sandiego or something.