Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 5:58 pm

story hear :cry:

This brings back vivid memories of how I bahaved at that age as I frequently wandered off on my own into extremely dangerous situations.

Quote:
A SEARCH for a missing child ended in tragedy yesterday morning when a seven-year-old boy was killed by an express train while playing on the tracks at Strathmore railway station.

The boy, who is believed to have been autistic, had wandered from his father's Essendon home about an hour before he was hit by the train.

The father searched for his pyjama-clad son, then reported him as missing five minutes before he was struck.

There was only one witness to the accident, which happened at 8am.

"The witness saw him on the tracks and we're a bit unclear what he was actually doing there, and the witness was not able to remove him in the short time he had," said Senior Sergeant Andrea McAlpine.

"He did try to alert the train to get the train to stop, but that was unsuccessful. As you know, express trains, they're very hard to pull up and there was not enough time. It is just a tragic accident and our hearts go out to the family.

"The parents are very upset — understandably so — and we would hope that they would have the support of the rest of their family at this time."

The city-bound V/Line express train that hit the boy had left Seymour, north of Melbourne, and would have been travelling at about 60 km/h or less, V/Line spokesman Daniel Moloney said.

The line was closed to V/Line and metropolitan trains for about three hours after the accident.

Mr Moloney said the eight passengers on board, the driver and conductor had all been offered counselling.

Premier John Brumby said the accident was a "horrible, horrible" tragedy and the boy didn't realise he was in any danger.

"What do you say about a story like that? You just hope it's news that you never hear," he said.

With DAVID ROOD, AAP

:cry:

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 6:29 pm

How sad, my husband had a close call with a train at a young age too.

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 7:25 pm

I had lots of close calls with cars at a young age as I wandered off on my own and a few occasions I had a close call with trams because I had a deep fixation on the steel tracks they ran on.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 8:57 pm

I am moving to a building that is just next to the railroad tracks. I am worried about my cats.

gooftroop
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2007, 11:45 pm

paulsinnerchild wrote:
story hear

Quote:
A SEARCH for a missing child ended in tragedy yesterday morning when a seven-year-old boy was killed by an express train while playing on the tracks at Strathmore railway station.

I heard about this yesterday from my housemate, this is about 10 mins from where I live. I hadn't heard he was autistic.

10 Dec 2007, 4:40 am

That is very sad. I wondered off too a lot when I was a kid. My parents had to watch me because I hated being leashed and I hated being strapped in my stroller.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 4:39 pm

This is very sad. :cry:

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 5:37 pm

My sympathy does go out the the parents of that boy because I could have met a very similar fate.
My mother used to dress me in the bightest clothes she could be so I could stand out.
At the age of three I was picked up by the police standing in the middle of a busy highway with cars whizzing past me tooting their horns and skidding. I was a perfect candidate for putting myself in such harm's way being extremely obsessed with cars.
Just as well my mother dressed me up in a bright pillar box red outfit that day as it made it so easy for her to give a description and more importantly for the drivers to see me. I stood out like a red fire hydrant in the wrong place.

eScential
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2007, 7:45 am

This is so sad. If I had time over again, I would get a herding dog to keep track of my son. He was always running off and in front of traffic.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 11:17 pm

how sad. my condolences go out to the family.