Do you work harder at your job because you are AS?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 6:59 pm

It's something I've noticed often here, a lot of employed WP members who seem to be very hard working, maybe more conscientious than your average NT (if there is such a thing).

I don't work full time now but looking back to when I did, I think I worked harder than my colleagues at my actual job, because I was so poor at the social side of office life that I felt I had to out-perform the others to make up for that lack of social ability. It was a self-preservation thing probably. I couldn't do the 'office cooler' thing at all, so if there was any office politics going on, I needed the ammunition of being good at my job, even if I didn't communicate easily with other people, at meetings for example.

Do you think you work harder than your NT colleagues? Are there areas of your job where you think it helps to be AS?

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 7:07 pm

I've noticed in some jobs I've had that I was working harder than the rest. It wasn't intentionally to compensate for lack of socializing. It was just that I didn't socialize and wanted to be busy. I don't like standing around doing nothing, and I view small talk as nothing. Of course I despise being the only one doing most of the work, so I've moved on from those jobs that didn't seem to appreciate my work(No raises or recognition).

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 7:15 pm

I worked harder because I loved the work. It became a mini-obsession. To most people it was a job, but to me it was exploration. I'm weird. :D

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 7:18 pm

I work harder at everything I do because I'm an aspie. It's generally not because things are more difficult, but rather I enjoy the challenge to see how well I can do something.

In fact, I think one of my flaws is that I work too hard at everything and end up wasting time and energy because of it. :chin:

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2007, 8:10 pm

Yes.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 8:48 pm

I believe I do well at my job because the nature of the work is a perfect fit for me.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 10:17 pm

I only do 10 hours per day (my colleagues do 7-8).

It's the perfectionist part of AS.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 11:42 am

Being the world's biggest procrastinator, I work harder in bursts, because I have to fire-fight all the time. Having said that though, when I am working and not just thinking about it, I think I am generally more efficient than my comparable colleagues. They are forever saying they don't have time to do this that or the other - I go to work for my standard hours, procrastinate for half the day, and still get more done than they do :scratch:

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 1:54 pm

Yes I think so. I always am trying to get work done when my co-workers are goofing off. I am the one that complains that they don't offer enough overtime when my co-workers are whining and begging to go home early. I like my job because I like dealing with computers. Plus I get to listen to my mp3 player while I work. What more could one want?

jfberge
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 5:57 pm

For one, a fear of criticism. I sort of anticipate people being upset with me if things aren't done quickly and well, so I put in a lot of hours. I don't want anyone to be able to say "you could have done a better job." I'm also, somewhat narcissistically, motivated by a desire to appear smart and knowledgeable. I don't want to be trumped by anyone, so I'm always competing with imaginary peers.

I think it's because work can be roughly measured that I put so much effort into it. It's something tangible that I can do well. I may fail at being a good spouse or conversationalist or person in general, but I can do my job better than anyone they might replace me with, and that gives me value.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

13 Dec 2007, 12:40 am

Absolutely. It helps that I am actually very interested in my job and all it entails. I learn all I can and go after knowledge if it won't come easy.

Weirdobird
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Dec 2007, 2:57 am

I believe I'm only so good at my job because I'm an aspie. I really get into a task, research it thoroughly, find out all I can about it, improve it, take it to a much higher level and deliver to a high standard. I need little sleep or rest, have minimal emotional attachment, intense concentration on one subject at a time, and a keen eye for flaws in the process.

opal
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 3:32 am

mikebw wrote:
I've noticed in some jobs I've had that I was working harder than the rest. It wasn't intentionally to compensate for lack of socializing. It was just that I didn't socialize and wanted to be busy. I don't like standing around doing nothing, and I view small talk as nothing.

I would agree with the above statement. I can't stand waiting for people who are habitually late, and I hate standing around doing nothing.

mikebw wrote:
Of course I despise being the only one doing most of the work, so I've moved on from those jobs that didn't seem to appreciate my work(No raises or recognition).

I should be so lucky :? It sometimes seems that the least productive people get the promotions and accomodations. Not always, but often enough to be bloody annoying.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 3:37 am

I don't have a job but when I did I would usually work quite hard because of my focussed, routine-based thinking. Mind you after awhile I got really dissatisfied with the job and started slacking off really bad, and then quit a month after.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 3:39 am

opal wrote:
mikebw wrote:
I've noticed in some jobs I've had that I was working harder than the rest. It wasn't intentionally to compensate for lack of socializing. It was just that I didn't socialize and wanted to be busy. I don't like standing around doing nothing, and I view small talk as nothing.

I would agree with the above statement. I can't stand waiting for people who are habitually late, and I hate standing around doing nothing.

mikebw wrote:
Of course I despise being the only one doing most of the work, so I've moved on from those jobs that didn't seem to appreciate my work(No raises or recognition).

I should be so lucky :? It sometimes seems that the least productive people get the promotions and accomodations. Not always, but often enough to be bloody annoying.

I totally agree. A person who works half as hard but has good people skills and get along well with everyone is going to do much better than the person who is a very hard worker but can't get along well with others.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2007, 4:27 am

Quote:

What's a raise???

Only, I work myself to death but I've never seen one.