why do guys want to be the alpha male?

Page 3 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 2:20 pm

SapphoWoman wrote:
But you have a good point. The word "power" could mean the ability to influence people... and it could be a good thing.

Thanks! :)

Sounds like you need more friends like mine :). I do know enough alpha NTs who are pretty altruistic about it as well and yeah, if they like what they see in someone (for the right reasons in most cases) they'll lend a hand in terms of helping you sort things out as needed.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 4:38 am

geebo wrote:
I think it is irrelevant what an alpha male is.

In the end you are what you are. There are many different types of male and there are corresponding types of female.

If you like the women you date, and have positive experiences then keep doing what you do. If you keep having bad experiences then maybe you should change how you approach women. And this applies visa versa to women.
That's what I think too. This stuff about Alpha males is taken far too seriously, IMO.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 4:48 am

Pandora wrote:
geebo wrote:
I think it is irrelevant what an alpha male is.

In the end you are what you are. There are many different types of male and there are corresponding types of female.

If you like the women you date, and have positive experiences then keep doing what you do. If you keep having bad experiences then maybe you should change how you approach women. And this applies visa versa to women.
That's what I think too. This stuff about Alpha males is taken far too seriously, IMO.

And look at what geebo said again:

Quote:
If you keep having bad experiences then maybe you should change how you approach women

It matters in some peoples cases, doesn't in others, and it has everything to do with how the world perceives you. Some people can easily get away with not worrying because they fit some common archetype real well. People who don't, generally struggle and I see it with NTs just as much.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 7:32 am

I thought all the alpha males (including the ones who were alpha in a good way) were way out of my league and tended to end up with the omega males instead.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Dec 2007, 10:32 pm

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
Kitsy wrote:
I am posting based on observations. I threw in a few jokes too. Do you really think I would carefully guard lipstick and eyeliner? Also, it wasn't just about looks. What are you getting defensive about? These labels are not to be placed on everyone's forehead, it was just to try to explain observations. If labels did not exist, how would you describe to the police what a vicious attacker looked like?

Don't you call me pathetic either. I have every right to protect myself so who are you to tell me that is pathetic?

In my mind I have distinguished good traits and bad traits. This comes with life lessons and observations. This little posting about such observations is just one little piece. I don't feel like writing a novel on wrong planet.

All I said was that your label flinging was unnecessary at best, sort of like people inventing new sciences like "Numerology" and other BS. And you had to go and apparently you felt it was important to filter it through your "logic". So you can stop assuming things such as being defensive and saying that labels do not exist.

Once again you attack my argument with the assumption that I'm wrong, do you enjoy doing this? You haven't proven that any of this is helpful at any point at all, the only thing you've done is try to paint me as the bad guy or go all defensive.

No, you've looked at what may or may not be good observations and stuck labels on them to no purpose.

Calling someone pathetic is attacking so knock it off. You can make your points without that can't you?

This was just my observations. If it offended you, oh well. I would apologize for offending you in some cases but not in this one because you are acting like a jerk.

If you have a problem with how I express myself and if you have a problem with observations I've made then grab your balls and pm me. Cuss me out.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 1:29 am

Kitsy wrote:
Calling someone pathetic is attacking so knock it off. You can make your points without that can't you?

This was just my observations. If it offended you, oh well. I would apologize for offending you in some cases but not in this one because you are acting like a jerk.

If you have a problem with how I express myself and if you have a problem with observations I've made then grab your balls and pm me. Cuss me out.

The first line was great, the last two - no need for all that :).

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 2:52 am

I really think it's got everything to do with all these seduction guides and similar advice talking about the alpha male (or something conceptually similar) as being the stimulus that induces romantic-sexual attraction in women. Many guys on here have read these guides or heard advice from others here who have, so they've taken that this is what they've got to become to attract women.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Dec 2007, 6:06 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

The first line was great, the last two - no need for all that :).

You're right. I should have just kept the first line and then just ended it with bite me.

Where's the internet white out?

I don't hold grudges for too long so I'm already over it :)

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 5:38 am

NeantHumain wrote:
I really think it's got everything to do with all these seduction guides and similar advice talking about the alpha male (or something conceptually similar) as being the stimulus that induces romantic-sexual attraction in women. Many guys on here have read these guides or heard advice from others here who have, so they've taken that this is what they've got to become to attract women.
So that means those guides have given them a lot of misinformation mixed perhaps with a bit of good advice.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 12:57 am

SapphoWoman wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
SapphoWoman wrote:
Only pack animals follow the "alpha male" routine. So the question is: Are human males pack animals?

I tend to think that NT males are. That's one reason I don't like them, in general.

There is no evidence to suggest animals follow anything like that.

Yes, there is. For example, wolves are pack animals.

I was talking about the "Alpha male" concept.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 1:07 am

Kitsy wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
Kitsy wrote:
I am posting based on observations. I threw in a few jokes too. Do you really think I would carefully guard lipstick and eyeliner? Also, it wasn't just about looks. What are you getting defensive about? These labels are not to be placed on everyone's forehead, it was just to try to explain observations. If labels did not exist, how would you describe to the police what a vicious attacker looked like?

Don't you call me pathetic either. I have every right to protect myself so who are you to tell me that is pathetic?

In my mind I have distinguished good traits and bad traits. This comes with life lessons and observations. This little posting about such observations is just one little piece. I don't feel like writing a novel on wrong planet.

All I said was that your label flinging was unnecessary at best, sort of like people inventing new sciences like "Numerology" and other BS. And you had to go and apparently you felt it was important to filter it through your "logic". So you can stop assuming things such as being defensive and saying that labels do not exist.

Once again you attack my argument with the assumption that I'm wrong, do you enjoy doing this? You haven't proven that any of this is helpful at any point at all, the only thing you've done is try to paint me as the bad guy or go all defensive.

No, you've looked at what may or may not be good observations and stuck labels on them to no purpose.

I could also call it a "poor attempt", but I'd still be saying the same thing, maybe you could just try not to overeact in the first place?

Why don't you stick to the topic instead of blowing things out of proportion?

Well I was just airing my observations too, don't don't be a hypocrite and act like you're the only one who is allowed to do that.

No, I have a problem with your ability to argue and how horribly low quality it is, I'm completely fine with you.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 6:40 am

SapphoWoman wrote:
Only pack animals follow the "alpha male" routine. So the question is: Are human males pack animals?

I tend to think that NT males are. That's one reason I don't like them, in general.

Is it really fair to call that more strictly a 'male' thing?

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2008, 11:54 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SapphoWoman wrote:

In wolves, for example, it IS only a male thing; it does not apply to the females.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 1:12 pm

Deus_ex_machina wrote:
Kitsy wrote:
Deus_ex_machina wrote:
Kitsy wrote:

I could also call it a "poor attempt", but I'd still be saying the same thing, maybe you could just try not to overeact in the first place?

Why don't you stick to the topic instead of blowing things out of proportion?

Well I was just airing my observations too, don't don't be a hypocrite and act like you're the only one who is allowed to do that.

No, I have a problem with your ability to argue and how horribly low quality it is, I'm completely fine with you.

...and I have a problem with your narcissism

So far from what I've read out of you, your sole intent is to attempt to make someone feel negatively and boost your own self worth.

xx Dan Monster

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 5:45 pm

SapphoWoman wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SapphoWoman wrote:

In wolves, for example, it IS only a male thing; it does not apply to the females.

I'll have to just agree to disagree. Certain behaviors IMO are gender-neutral, people act them out period regardless, and this would be an example of where we're all still built on more animalistic behavior frames. That and as long as I went to school there were always popular girls who seemed to head their own cliques, everyone knew who they were, I can't see how that's different from when guys are in that position and have followers.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2008, 6:48 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'll have to just agree to disagree.

I am talking about wolves, not humans. It is scientific. I am not saying that humans are the same as wolves.