SHOCK - Prank Call Leads to Kids Getting Electro Shock

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 11:00 am

Zwerfbeertje wrote:
Don't forget the 'people' that put their children into the hands of these psychopaths, I mean, you have to lack in normal human feelings, empathy and love, when you send your child there.

It's easy for me to see how such "parents" could have been the cause of the children's problems in the first place. My own mother's approach, little different from the way that my teachers would approach me when they wanted something, was set up to agitate me and cause me to act out. She would punish me for acting out when she knew that she had frightened me into it or caused confusion that led to it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 12:19 pm

First off I would have thought that the administering of a shock would be in an immediate response to a serious infraction and not something to be arbitrarily doled out on a whim over the phone like ordering a goddamned pizza. What kind of brain dead moron would accept such an order? That in itself shows that the Rotenberg Center should obviously not be allowed to carry out such “treatments”. :roll:

“I was just following orders”. Wasn’t that the common defense used by Nazi war criminals at the Nuremburg Trials following WWII?

I guess this is going to be the way of controlling all people in the future. Someday when this type of treatment becomes more accepted (when we have seen so much of it that we become desensitized to it) everyone will be wired and monitored. It IS coming to that one step at a time and we are already several steps in the direction of that objective.

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 1:41 pm

School Gets Extension on Shock Treatment

14 hours ago

BOSTON (AP) — A special education school where two emotionally disturbed students were wrongly given dozens of shocks after a prank call will be allowed to use electric shock treatments on students for another year.

But the state's Office of Health and Human Services said the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center must prove it uses shock treatments only for the most dangerous and self-destructive behaviors, and also show that the treatments reduce those behaviors.

On Aug. 26, someone posing as a supervisor called in shock treatments on two students, aged 16 and 19. The teens were awakened in the middle of the night and given the shock treatments, at times while their legs and arms were bound. One teen received 77 shocks and the other received 29. One was treated for two first-degree burns.

A state report found that staff made multiple mistakes when they followed the prank caller's directions.

The report by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care said six staffers at a Stoughton residence run by the Canton-based school had reason to doubt the orders to administer the shocks, but did nothing to stop it.

The six staff members and video surveillance worker on duty that night were fired on Oct. 1.

The caller said he was ordering the punishments because the teens had misbehaved earlier in the evening. But none of the staffers had witnessed any problems. The report said the caller was a former resident of the center with knowledge of its operations. Police are looking into filing criminal charges.

The incident in Stoughton renewed calls by school critics for the state to ban the shock treatments. But state officials said the parents of some residents defend the school and its methods.

Hosted by
Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gqyb ... QD8TMU5I00

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Dec 2007, 2:02 pm

http://digg.com/odd_stuff/Special_Ed_Sc ... n_bad_kids

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 6:45 pm

I thought this school had video cameras so they could monitor these kids all the time. If so, they should have been able to see the kids weren't doing anything wrong. Their website says shocks are used for dangerous and aggressive behaviors. I don't think that would be to hard to see. Maybe they went along with it because they didn't like the kids then used the "I was just following orders" as an excuse to avoid getting fired.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2007, 7:43 pm

We don't allow this kind of treatment with dogs. Why the heck is it suddenly okay when applied to disabled kids? The human race is so d*mn sick it's a shame. :x

Oh, and I would trust a rabid dog's ability to feel empathy more than I'll ever trust a human's.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:04 pm

I would trust a tiger's ability to feel empathy better than I would a human's.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:31 pm

New information:

Quote:
D.C. mayor’s aide would halt funds to Rotenberg Center over shock therapy

WASHINGTON - An aide to Washington D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty says he has no reservations about seeking a court order to cut off funds to a Massachusetts special education school that uses shock-therapy.

Peter Nickles has already promised to transfer 10 District children out of the Judge Rotenberg Center by March. He tells The (Washington) Examiner, "This is not a place for our kids."

However, attorneys representing parents of nine of the children have asked city officials not to interfere.

The center says its therapy is more effective on disturbed children than medication. But two students were wrongly given dozens of shocks last August on orders from a person posing as a supervisor during a prank call.

Nickles says he has hired consultants to inspect Rotenberg next month.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/region ... id=1063076

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 9:56 pm

jjstar wrote:

The caller said he was ordering the punishments because the teens had misbehaved earlier in the evening. But none of the staffers had witnessed any problems. The report said the caller was a former resident of the center with knowledge of its operations. Police are looking into filing criminal charges.

They should file criminal charges against the staff.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Dec 2007, 3:38 am

I think so too, unless these staff members can be considered automatic machines without minds of their own, push the button, they move.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 3:52 am

Remnant wrote:
jjstar wrote:

They should file criminal charges against the staff.
They surely should. I wonder if one can be charged with criminal stupidity? Apart from that, they should be charged with assault and sacked from their jobs with the centre.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

ed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 10:58 am

Pandora wrote:
they should be... sacked from their jobs with the centre.

They were.

_Pie_
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2008, 12:46 pm

What? How can they do that to people?

They don't do what you want so you just torture them? Sick bastards.

I don't see how it could treat anything, just make people extremely scared to be themself.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 1:50 pm

_Pie_ wrote:

I don't see how it could treat anything, just make people extremely scared to be themself.

Very well said, and welcome to WrongPlanet.net!

I've been emailing Governor Patrick about this, and apparently others have too... it's his administration that just approved the one-year extension for the school... you can find his contact info here: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=gov3utiliti ... contact_us ...if enough people contact him (especially by phone ...though I don't like using the phone :lol: ) we might be able to make a difference.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 11:29 am

_Pie_ wrote:

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 4:08 am

I am terrified by this place, angry at it and disgusted by it. I almost threw up all over the magazine when I read it in the library.

Ed-- OMG. Have you met any of them? Seen them? Seen their expressions? Talked to them? Heard any comments or conversations? Heard anything, seen anything? Seen any pain in their eyes? Please tell us! Have you tried to do anything down there? Do you know anyone who works or goes to school there?