Do NT/AS relationships fair better then AS/AS relationships?

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

LauraM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2012, 11:23 am

I am in an interesting situation right now, as I am sure I was an Aspie as a kid, but I've grown past SO much I'm almost NT. My boyfriend right now is quite the Aspie. He's so sincere and sweet it's overwhelming. I never doubt his sincerity which means a lot, because I struggle with people suspicious of people's intentions. He doesn't mind that I'm a nerd, or that I'm a size 16 (American size), or that I live in America (he lives in Australia). He's willing to overcome the challenges we face, and that's a lot for him. I have to give him credit for taking the risk.

Before him I did date an NT (as far as I know) and he was devoted and caring, but he was too different from me in spiritual beliefs, and that just made me almost depressed. So I had to let him go. I learned you have to have the core belief system in common to be able to deal with any other challenges.
People are more than their diagnosis and they are capable of a lot more than we give them credit for. I'm not from the school that says Aspie's can't date, so I say research, be willing to change, be open to others interests, and learn from other people. Having Asperger's makes us unique but we can't think we're superior. We can connect with people if we want to, and are willing to work on it. In that we CAN have good relationships. :)