Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 10:23 pm

Quote:
He does seem aspie-like in the ways that others have mentioned. And I guess an aspie could be obsessed with "feelings", as he seemed to be. But honestly, the emphasis on feelings always creeped me out. When people talk about emotions, it makes me uncomfortable. I only watched that show because of the train and the animal characters in the Land of Make Believe.

Yeah...me too....I never quite understood the emphasis on feelings and it made me feel uneasy as well...even at a very early age....

I mainly enjoyed the visits to various factories...(like the crayola factory)...and the neighborhood of make believe..

He does seem to have rigid routines...i think he could possibly be an Aspie..

I love the way he does all the voices for all the puppets...male and female...

cdarwin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Dec 2007, 10:30 pm

Hey Alex, I was born in 1965. When I was a child, MR Rogers looked looked just like he did in your video. I loved Mr. Rogers. My mom liked that I watched Mr. Rogers. There was something that I did not know until I was grown, and my daughter was watching. Mr. Rogers, my father did not like him, because he thought he acted gay. My dad did not like hippies, long hair, or flower power. It is ironic too, because as far as I know Mr. Rogers was not gay. He had like three children. The other ironic thing is my oldest brother was gay, and my dad had to live with it. It is a shame because, I don't think my autistic son, or my baby will know Mr Rogers. They will grow up with Spongebob. I love Spongebob too. The times they are a changing.

My signature explains how I feel about all people.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 10:43 pm

alex wrote:
KimJ wrote:
listening to his voice, I don't hear monotone at all, I hear tone and inflection. Perhaps, not a lot of variety in pitch at all. A lot of emotive expression.

well even aspies have inflection and tone. I have more variation in my own voice.

The lack of variation in his voice can be explained by his being a minister and talking to kids, etc... Some people just do that.

Still, I am glad to hear that. My tone IS sometimes strange(monotonous or over emphasized), but is usually normal. That is mostly just in expression, so a question might sound like a statement.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:10 pm

I watched him up to when I was like 11-12 years old. He made me feel good about myself. what a legacy he left us.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 11:34 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Quote:
He does seem aspie-like in the ways that others have mentioned. And I guess an aspie could be obsessed with "feelings", as he seemed to be. But honestly, the emphasis on feelings always creeped me out. When people talk about emotions, it makes me uncomfortable. I only watched that show because of the train and the animal characters in the Land of Make Believe.

Yeah...me too....I never quite understood the emphasis on feelings and it made me feel uneasy as well...even at a very early age....

I mainly enjoyed the visits to various factories...(like the crayola factory)...and the neighborhood of make believe..

I liked the crayon factory too! And the Graham cracker factory!

cdarwin
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Dec 2007, 12:17 am

The Yoyo Ma episode was awesome, it is one of the episodes that my daughter liked. It was more low budget when I was a kid, I still loved Mr. Rogers though. The crayon factory clip. He used that one over and over. Same with the graham crackers. I never noticed that he was the voice of the many of the puppets until I was an adult. The land of make believe was never my favorite. I liked the music. I liked the beginning the best. I liked the predictable structure of the show.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2007, 12:56 am

I hardly ever watched him because I lived close enough to Windsor to get the show of one of his proteges, Mr. Dressup. I used to watch that every morning before Canadian Sesame Street.

Mr. Dressup had one intangible skill that I've never seen in any other kiddie show host: Whether he was interacting with crude shrill-voiced puppets and talking paintings, or somehow changing into a different pair of pants he got out of the tickle-trunk without removing his work-boots, or singing "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" in a clown suit, he just seemed like the most normal, natural guy on earth.

Maybe it's just how infrequently I watched Mr. Rogers by comparison, but something about him and his whole show just seemed creepy and desolate. I know children's television owes him a huge debt, and Mr. Dressup would likely never have gotten his show started without Mr. Rogers' guidance, so please don't flame me. Maybe the handfull of his shows I caught were just his off-days, but I've spoken to others who share my opinion.

OK, I used to imitate the trolley's theme music on my mom's piano. I guess it's impossible to dislike his show entirely.

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

sands
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2007, 12:59 am

And he was a man of remarkable values. He was kind and nice!

What's normal anyway?

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 2:35 am

Aspie? Nah; he was just a meek little guy. There's a whole 'spectrum' of NTs out there, too. :lol:

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 9:18 am

UncleBeer wrote:
Aspie? Nah; he was just a meek little guy. There's a whole 'spectrum' of NTs out there, too. :lol:

Oh, you know how it is: everyone wants to claim his or her favorites as his or her own. (Stupid grammar rules make everything unwieldy!)

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 10:30 am

SapphoWoman wrote:
Probably! Also, he had the view that each person has value, regardless of their background, etc--which I think is an AS trait.

Mr. Rogers was also a minister, which might make him believe those values as well. My BF's dad is a minister/counselor, and he believes even the worst of people have worth and good in them. And he's no Aspie--- he is very social and good at it. So maybe Mr. rogers was simply being... closer to God?

autism_diva
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Dec 2007, 3:52 pm

alex wrote:
Check this video out. He's uber monotone.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41lJIhW7fA&[/youtube]

I think he might have been. I'm going more on the sort of extreme sincerity and focus he has on this kind of narrow topic. We'd need to know what his own early childhood was like. I guess we'd need to see him in a chit chat situation and see if he looked differently when he thought that he's wasn't being watched.

The fact that he did other "voices" might point to Asperger's, too.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 5:26 pm

alex wrote:
riverotter wrote:
I always loved his show.
Ah, the routine of the sweater and the shoes...bookending the whole thing.

it was my favorite show when i was really young. I apparently watched the episode w/ yoyo ma over and over again.

Same here. The routine was what made it my favorite. I used to wish that I could live there in his little house with everything perfectly in it's place, and following the same happy routine everyday, It would've been heaven!

Like Cdarwin, I didn't know that he was the voice to most of the puppets until I was well into my teens, and someone told me. :oops:

Interesting fact: Mr Roger's always wore long sleeves to cover up his military tattoos. (I think I read that on snopes, but I'm not sure)

sands
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2007, 8:10 pm

There is a book out about Mr. Roger's values. I miss him.

What's normal anyway?

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Dec 2007, 8:17 pm

serenity wrote:
Interesting fact: Mr Roger's always wore long sleeves to cover up his military tattoos. (I think I read that on snopes, but I'm not sure)

snopes usually debunks urban legends as opposed to perpetuating them so I doubt you read that on Snopes. Especially since it isn't true...

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm

alex wrote:
serenity wrote:

snopes usually debunks urban legends as opposed to perpetuating them so I doubt you read that on Snopes. Especially since it isn't true...

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

You are correct, it wasn't snopes. I just assumed that's where I had read it, because I do visit that site often. Thanks for correcting my error.