Can Anybody Give Me Suggestions To Help With Facial Tics?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2007, 10:39 pm

Ok, as most of u already know or u can just read in my signature, i have tourettes along with autism, but lately ive been having bad facial tics, which somehow gets me very giddy if i know im doing it, which makes me overly too excited to the point that i can't stop stimming... yes confusing, does anybody know of a therapy or a technique i can use to help me with my facial tics, that drives me to stim like crazy?

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 1:45 am

Geesh, i have facial ticks to, I hope there is a way to stop them.

Unknown_Quantity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2008, 1:50 am

Most of the things I can think of, would probably just replace one tic with another.

Maybe playing poker? I'm sorry, that's a pretty crappy suggestion for a solution. :(

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 3:25 am

Paula wrote:
Geesh, i have facial ticks to, I hope there is a way to stop them.

Wow really? i'm glad im not the only one who gets facial tics, there horrible sometimes!

Unknown_Quantity wrote:
Most of the things I can think of, would probably just replace one tic with another.

Maybe playing poker? I'm sorry, that's a pretty crappy suggestion for a solution. :(

Yea i tried everything, playing poker, not very good at, and if i mess up, i tend to tic/stim more haha, but thanks for replying and trying though.

VMSnith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2008, 9:45 pm

Once upon a time, a looooong time before the word Asperger's existed, I was a young lad with lots of facial ticks. I will always remember the first time a classmate made fun of it, I think I was 6 or 7.

I did find a coping skill, it might work for you. I moved the ticks to invisible areas. It's as if the ticks let off some sort of pent up energy in the brain, and that energy can be redirected.

Since ticks are semivoluntary, I could notice them and intercede. I would tense my jaw instead. Then the muscles in my andomen or shoulder (makes for a tight tummy!) If you try it, you may find you can satisfy your ticks in this way. If you practice, the new location may become automatic, as it is for me now. I can now relocate my ticks at will. Dancing ticks!

I still twitch like mad, probably once every 3 seconds. But nobody else knows that.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 9:51 pm

magnesium treats twitching. i don't know if it works for tics

Kurtz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jan 2008, 10:24 pm

Age1600 wrote:
Ok, as most of u already know or u can just read in my signature, i have tourettes along with autism, but lately ive been having bad facial tics, which somehow gets me very giddy if i know im doing it, which makes me overly too excited to the point that i can't stop stimming... yes confusing, does anybody know of a therapy or a technique i can use to help me with my facial tics, that drives me to stim like crazy?

I had this bad as a kid, and I noticed that the more stress I was under the more pronounced the tics. I was DX'd with TS as a kid, I sounded like Beavis!

Now that I spend much less time in situations which I hate my tics have diminished. My thinking is that it's all just pent-up energy that needs to be expressed. I was...not allowed to have "negative" feelings, so they tended to come out in other ways, like muscle tension in my shoulders, teeth clicking, foot/finger tapping, grunts and snorts, running around and acting out like a little anus, that whole bit.

There's been some good advice posted already by VMSnith, which I second. The only thing I'd like to add is to try and remove the "good/bad" type of thinking surrounding this, and replace it with "preferred/not preferred", that way you don't beat yourself up so much and get discouraged.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 10:30 pm

I used to have a horrible one where I'd wink my eyes constantly.

Beat it with hypnotherapy, never to return!! I'd highly recommend it.

(Bear in mind it only works if you want it to; hypnosis simply uses the power of your own mind to 'suggest' things and reprogramme it. So if you don't think you can be hypnotised you won't be, simple as that. It's also impossible to be stuck in a trance or whatever they say in the films - it's just the state between waking and sleeping, so you do it twice a night anyway! I've seen people fall asleep after being in a trance too long, haha, snoring away on the couch... (My cousin is a hypnotist, I used to help him out sometimes.)).

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 11:16 pm

Magnesium may help and I don't think it can hurt.

Here's a link to a paper called Facial and Eye Tics in Children:The Links to Magnesium Deficiency
http://www.ctds.info/tics.html

Here's a quote from it:
"When I changed his diet to include more magnesium rich foods and less magnesium antagonists, the tics, twitches and blinking totally cleared up in a few days."

According to the hypothesis below, magnesium deficiency may be very important in Tourette's syndrome.

Quote:
The central role of magnesium deficiency in Tourette's syndrome: causal relationships between magnesium deficiency, altered biochemical pathways and symptoms relating to Tourette's syndrome and several reported comorbid conditions.
Grimaldi BL.
Med Hypotheses. 2002 Jan;58(1):47-60.
[email protected]

Prior studies have suggested a common etiology involved in Tourette's syndrome and several comorbid conditions and symptomatology. Reportedly, current medications used in Tourette's syndrome have intolerable side-effects or are ineffective for many patients. After thoroughly researching the literature, I hypothesize that magnesium deficiency may be the central precipitating event and common pathway for the subsequent biochemical effects on substance P, kynurenine, NMDA receptors, and vitamin B6 that may result in the symptomatology of Tourette's syndrome and several reported comorbid conditions. These comorbid conditions and symptomatology include allergy, asthma, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, coprolalia, copropraxia, anxiety, depression, restless leg syndrome, migraine, self-injurious behavior, autoimmunity, rage, bruxism, seizure, heart arrhythmia, heightened sensitivity to sensory stimuli, and an exaggerated startle response. Common possible environmental and genetic factors are discussed, as well as biochemical mechanisms. Clinical studies to determine the medical efficacy for a comprehensive magnesium treatment option for Tourette's syndrome need to be conducted to make this relatively safe, low side-effect treatment option available to doctors and their patients. Copyright 2002 Harcourt Publishers Ltd.

PMID: 11863398 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11863398

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 11:17 pm

Magnesium stops menstrual cramps - dunno about you but I know they're awful so even that would be a help I imagine to most women, even if the tics don't stop. :P

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 2:10 am

Wow thanks everybody for the advice, i'm going to try them all. I did take magnesium for awhile but stopped due to too many routine changes, maybe i'll start back up on that, and defintely try what everybody else said.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 3:40 pm

How about botox? I know that it has some affect on the muscles of the face but you might need to ask someone more qualified here.

Ed Almos

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 3:55 pm

edal wrote:
How about botox? I know that it has some affect on the muscles of the face but you might need to ask someone more qualified here.

Ed Almos

Injecting your face with poison?! :?

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 4:03 pm

Age1600 wrote:
Wow thanks everybody for the advice, i'm going to try them all. I did take magnesium for awhile but stopped due to too many routine changes, maybe i'll start back up on that, and defintely try what everybody else said.

One thing - Magnesium becomes a natural laxative if you take too much so it's easy to avoid taking potentially toxic amounts. If magnesium is really low, you may be able to handle alot of it (1,000mg or more). Most magnesium supplements are 250mg. I'd try one a day at first and keep increasing it until if acts as a laxative if that doesn't help. If you take more than one, take them a few hours apart. Hope it works.

1SmartCookie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2009, 5:51 pm

My son had facial tics and he is taking fish oil - coromega on a daily basis. It took about a year, but he doe not have tics anymore. He is 11. I have also read that magnesium seems to help. A quick try: Take a epsom salts bath for 15 mins. 2 cups of salts in a bathtub. See if that makes any difference...you may have that on hand. If so, magnesium supplements may help you.
You need to do some research on how much and what type of magnesium is recommended. Magnesium Glycinate is probably the gentlest form of magnesium. A tic is an involuntary muscle spasm, so that why some people recommend magnesium. I would also look into vitamin b6.

Good Luck!

A mom with an Asperger's son.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 6:08 am

I don't know of this is a tic, but you know when you stare at something, then stare at a white wall and the colour you've just stared at goes the opposite when you stare at the wall? Well, I don't know if any other Aspies (or NTs) do this, but I am always staring at the brightest thing in the room then staring at the wall to see it's opposite. I've been doing it ever since I was about 2 years old and I'm still doing it to this day. Usually I stare at a bright red or bright green object. It's getting annoying, but I find it I don't do it I find I get a pressuring urge to have to do it.

But at least others don't really know I'm doing it, so the tic is hidden.