Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2008, 8:56 pm

I've got two sides regarding certifications. Some companies can use certifications as equivalent to 6mo of work experience, and some treat it like any other piece of paper.

Any of the CompTIA certs aren't too bad to have (fairly simple, and not a major hassle to write) plus the MOS cert (formerly MOUS) for MS Office - if you're into an office environment.

I'm a seven-year veteran of IT (Hardware Technician).

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2008, 9:00 pm

These company dependant certifications are great... for the company. They will not do you any help, avoid locking your career into them...

Last edited by Vexcalibur on 27 Jan 2008, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

0hanrahan
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2008, 3:39 am

I considered the same route, and looked at computertraining.com. For various reasons I decided against paying 25k for 6 months of "training". I've been looking online and many employers are specifically asking for CS degrees.

I have a liberal arts degree with some minor experience working in a school when I was teaching.

Considering A+ cert, then maybe tech support while I sort things out. If I start at a junior tech support position, I can possibly learn while on the job and work to get in school again.

Does anyone have pointers for A+ prep? I've done my own hardware work at home and some at the High School. What texts are good? Online sources?

Eeyore
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2008, 12:10 am

I worked for MSFT for 6 years and, ironically, they never asked to see my MCP transcript in the interviews or at any other time (no, most MSFT employees can't look it up, either). Didn't stop me from meeting everyone from BillG on down. I did have MCSE+I, MCDBA, and MCT but the only people who ever asked about it were other geeks who wanted to tell me how many more tests and certs they had than I did.

Get the certs if you want, but spend as much or more time talking to the business people, especially in sales and accounting, and solving their problems. Do a seminar for them on security or "tips and tricks" with the latest software, mobile device, whatever. Volunteer to be the "IT liason" for one of their projects so you can be part of developing the solution. Every cool job I've had has been because someone I helped in this manner moved up and then put in a good word for me, too.

Jimmy460
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2017, 5:01 am

I want to be CEH certified, but i dont know how to do it ( as i m beginner ).So if somebody could help me out how else can i study and get CEH? Please help me out, i shall b really thankful to you for replying.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 4:03 am

aaronrey wrote:
im thinking of getting the MCSA and eventually MCSE.

anyone think they're useful? i've been job-hopping for awhile but now i've managed to hold on to this IT job and im thinking of expanding my IT skills.

Do the jobs you want require these things? If so, they are useful.

However, I recall in the late 1990's I was considering getting some such Microsoft certification for network administration. The course work spanned many volumes of books and it would have taken a non negligible time and monetary investment to complete it. I decided not to and instead moved on to other things. Shortly there after the demand for network administrators boomed, and then a short time later, the dot.com bubble burst and a lot of network administrators found themselves unemployed and living in their cars.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 7:36 am

I got an MCSE in Windows NT. The moment they handed me my certificate, Micro$oft announced that all NT certifications were expired, null, and void.