What Do You Need or Use in Order to Sleep at Night?

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 3:09 pm

Pitch blackness.

Icarus_Falling
everyman antihero
everyman antihero

03 Jan 2008, 3:12 pm

Finding sleep has always been a troublesome quest for me, as has been finding wakefulness.

I like:

1. A high volume of white noise; a large box fan works nicely for this.
2. Air blowing on me; box fan again.
3. Pitch black.
4. At least 3 soft pillows; two for my head, and one to snuggle.
5. Several heavy blankets.
6. A futon mattress stuffed with wool.
7. No visible clock, so I don't keep looking/staring at the clock.
8. Relatively cool environment (too warm mucks me up horribly).
9. 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets (wow those feel good).
10. A door that locks to assuage my paranoia.

I also use melatonin and valerian root, along with some warm Sleepytime tea.

To have a gentle waking rather than be rip-jarred out of a dream, I use a sunrise simulator hooked up to two broad-spectrum incandescent reflector lamps.

Good fortune,

- Icarus sleeps like the living and wakes like the dead...

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2008, 4:12 pm

I like the fan to be on and lately I've been taking sleeping pills.

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2008, 4:17 pm

- A sleep mask.
- Earplugs (my ears are sensitive to sounds).
- And I usually sleep face down, but if not, I sleep on my side with a pillow in between my knees.
- Occasionally, I'll take something to help me sleep (Valerian Root or Melatonin, or an otc sleeping pill).

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 5:00 pm

Icarus_Falling wrote:

I like:

1. A high volume of white noise; a large box fan works nicely for this.
3. Pitch black.
5. Several heavy blankets.
7. No visible clock, so I don't keep looking/staring at the clock.
10. A door that locks to assuage my paranoia.

I would also like to submit that I must have just stepped out of a skin-flaying shower and be squeaky clean. Can't sleep if I'm carrying the day with me. I cannot sleep unless I'm certain the kids are completely out cold.
Also, my pajamas must match or I'm up thinking about it :?

ETA: I sleep in the position of the Hanged Man. It's most interesting, being that it is often the card I most identify with.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 9:17 pm

I havta be the oddball...;)
Just 2 pillows and a body pillow. Fairly quiet (noise isnt' a problem as long as it's steady)
Alarm clock can be as bright as it wants. I wake up in the middle of the night, calculate how much longer I can sleep, then go back to sleep..;)

Can sleep anywhere; cars, couches, beds, floors, whatever.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 10:35 pm

I use melotonin pills sometimes.
The only light I have going is my alarm clock, and sometimes I cover that too. Once in a while I listen to music when I go to sleep, but I think it more often keeps me awake then puts me to sleep.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Jan 2008, 10:49 pm

The place is not as important as the how. I can usually fall asleep in most places even places that most others can't sleep. Noise doesn't bother me as long as it's noise. In my bed, I have to have my mink blanket in winter and my heavy cotton quilt in summer. Gotta have heavy though. If I'm in a weird place, I'll have my coat thrown over me. I must have my teddy bear. Sleeping is impossible without him. I must have my pillow. I can sleep in hotels, but must have pillow and bear. Telly is always white noise. I usually leave it on and set the sleep timer on 90 minutes. My husband has finally learned how to fall asleep with telly on, but can't bear to wake up in the middle of the night with it on. It'll keep him up all night after he wakes up. If he's not there, I'll leave it on, no timer. He'll turn it off when he comes to bed after checking to see I'm asleep. I like 3 pillows please. Two to sleep on and one to cuddle. I also can't sleep on back. Usually sleep better with a caffeine dose in me. Winds me down nicely. Also can't have top sheet. Usually wake up with it wrapped around body parts that I need for breathing and living. Can't share covers either. Very weird for husband at first, but he's learned and adapted. We do share covers in hotel rooms, but usually me on top of sheet and him under. He misses top sheets.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 11:19 pm

I can usually sleep just fine.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 12:03 am

Postperson wrote:
Dark and quiet. Windy and/or rainy is good too.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I like windy and rainy nights for sleeping too, I find it verrry relaxing. When there is no rain or wind, I sleep with a small fan on for white noise. I like some weight in my blankets and at least two firmly soft, but not fluffy pillows. I also like someone next to me, or something against me. Good thing for my husband, eh? lol

Bare minimum I need a pillow and a blanket. I can make do with things that suffice as pillow and blanket...but only in the complete absence of the actual items. I'll even go buy them if possible.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2008, 5:15 am

I like it very dark,as little light as possible. LCD clock radio is fine though. Also recently Ive found I sleep better when there is weight on me, duvet is good. I just though it was the heat but it seems it doesnt feel um comforting I guess. I toss and turn all the time. The heat though doesnt help, I seem to run hot or something, I have no trouble keeping warm with just a duvet and sheet when its very cold.

Also I cannot stand any form of talking, radio, tv, people talking. I lie in bed thinking and then in my head is the talking, I just cannot block it out. Then I get annoyed and sleep is impossible until it stops.

I also cannot sleep during the day, regardless of how tired I am or how dark my room is. Maybe if I stay up all night and go to bed at sunrise but Ill only get a few hours sleep max.

Even then it usually takes me 30min-2 hours to get to sleep.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

04 Jan 2008, 5:36 am

To get to sleep I need...

*To be in my own bedroom, in my own bed.
*My sleeping bag.
*Socks.
*My own pillow.
*To be warm...I HATE being cold in bed!
*My curtains pulled closed.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2008, 6:33 am

My teddy bear Choc-Ice, who is Bearsac's big brother.

Debra

jjstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 8:45 am

I need to be tired. Preferably from physical exercise. I also need to be worry-free - i.e. not obsessing about the *what if's* that run crazy circles in my mind. I need to feel safe too. Stuff that goes on outside of my world that I have no control over - noise, smells, stimuli - must be reduced in their intensity or else sleep just doesn't come. Sometimes I waken more tired than I was before I went to sleep. Like I was fighting the elements all night long....

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2008, 3:32 pm

My radio needs to be on and tuned to Minnesota Public Radio.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2008, 3:44 pm

Lesse...

1. First of all, a big glass o' 2% (NOT CHOCOLATE, EUGH). I guess the tryptophan helps me sleep or something, I dunno.
2. Somewhat loud white noise if I'm in an inside room or night nature sounds when I'm in a place with open windows. I love to be in a cabin with open windows during the summer; the outside sounds are just so comforting.
3. Two pillows for head, one for feet (this has been a medical requirement ever since I started orthotics)
4. A clock that's easily within reach but doesn't show the time all the time (such as my new iPod, which shows the time in big numbers when I press the sleep/wake button)
5. Regular bedsheet, comforter, extra blanket
6. A looooong time. Seriously, it takes me a very long time to fully fall asleep. Probably an hour or more.