Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 8:35 pm

Andrew Lloyd Webber is a cat lover too.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 11:30 pm

Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd) wrote a song for one of his solo albums telling how much he hates Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 1:53 am

Once one of the shockers at the Judge Rotenberg Center spontaneously activated, shocking a student they didn't intend to punish.

Bako
Raven
Raven

12 Jan 2008, 11:46 pm

St. Augustine's Castillio San Marcos, the oldest fort in the United States, was in active military use through the Spanish-American War in 1898.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 12:33 am

tantopat's avatar is a scene from "Fantastic Planet"
an excellent 1973 science fiction animated movie by Rene Laloux that i have and is one of my favourites.
Humans,called 'Oms' are vermin or pets on an alien planet ruled by immense blue-skinned humanoid 'Draaggs'.
It is a very exciting and bizarre movie.

Phill Hall wrote:
“Fantastic Planet” is among the most political animated films of all time. With its bold and blatant challenge to authority (political, religious and social), the movie celebrates the effort to fight back against intellectual inertia and foolish superstitions. Power, as defined by the film, is fueled by brains and supplemented by brawn. Brute force without thought is derided in Laloux’ mindframe, while stagnant intellectualism that does not adapt to different opinions is also criticized with devastating fury.

A warning to parents: the film also employs a substantial amount of graphic violence and full frontal nudity. Yet those devices aren’t included for Seth MacFarlane-style crass giggles. If anything, “Fantastic Planet” is animation for mature adults seeking cerebral stimulation. While Laloux’ psychedelic visual imagery and Alain Goraguer’s theremin-heavy music score are clearly not contemporary, the film spirit is more than relevant to anyone upset over today’s environment of encroaching complacency and inertia.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 12:56 am

Queen was voted Iran's favorite band recently.
According to the head of the Iranian government, there are no gays in Iran.
Iran, Iran, Irony...;) (well, he's of Iranian descent...;)

I think there were only 2 provinces of the Ottoman empire that made Iraq; one was Mosul, and I forget the other one...;)

At the initial screening of Star Wars, everyone but one person (not Lucas, but the audience) thought it stank...

There are an abundance of the number 47 in Star Trek episodes (this is not a coincidence, but a careful plant by one of the staff.

Ferengi - is a word for 'foreigner' in Ethiopia. Nagus was their title for a king.
Gul - is a name in Pakistan.
There actually was someone on the writing staff on Star Trek that examined 'alien' names to make sure they weren't cuss words in a foreign language. They caught a few this way.

On the Original Series, bellybuttons were not displayed because they were too erotic. When Roddenberry put out 'Genesis II' pilot, the bad guys had 2 bellybuttons, 1 to make up for Star Trek.

Ok, I'll stop...;)

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2008, 4:10 am

I always get up earlier during the weekend than i do during the week.

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2008, 4:17 am

Oooh random facts, my time to shine!

The mohorovic discontinuity is the boundary between the Earths crust and upper mantle.

The thickness of the Earth's crust varies from down to 2km in ocean trenches to an average of 30km on land, up to 100km under mountain ranges. That makes the Earth's crust on average less than 1% of the radius of the earth.

Antidisestablishmentarianism is apparently the longest word in the English language.

Past Pluto there is an asteroid belt called the Oort belt which is considered to be the edge of our solar system. As an idea of how far out the Oort belt extends pluto is ~1/50th of the distance.

Most of the worlds oxygen is actually produced by phytoplankton in the sea.

Sperm whales were called that because the fat in thier bodies resembles a human bodily fluid...
They mostly eat giant squid and dive very deep to get them. Some blue whales have had squid sucker marks on their head the size of dinner plates.

Bat wing membrane is the fastest healing tissue in the animal kingdom.

Proxima Centauri is the closest star, besides the sun, to Earth. At a distance of 4.2 light years. Travelling at 50,000km per hour in a spacecraft it would take ~90years to get there (very rough figure). Our galaxy is roughly 90,000 light years across.

heres a quote

Quote:
The Milky Way is part of a set of galaxies known as the Local Group, which includes several dozen different galaxies within 3 million light-years. Only one of these, the Andromeda galaxy, is close to the size of the Milky Way--the rest are much smaller (each is less than 5% of the mass of the Milky Way). This Local Group is part of a supercluster, known as the Virgo supercluster, which has at least 5,000 member galaxies and is roughly 100 million light-years across. Beyond this level of organization, not much is known about our position in the universe.

If you think space travel is possible its certainly not using any travel system we have atm.

Meiosis is where a single cell divides into 2.

Mitochondria in our cells are what produce most of a cells energy. They have their own unique DNA and some guess they are a symbiotic organism from very far back in evolution.

DNA = deoxyribonucleic acid
or the joke answer = National Dyslexic Association.

The average human knows about 6000 words but uses about 3000 commonly.

There is more bacterial cells in and on a person that bathes/showers regularly than there is human cells, by a factor of 10.

0 degrees Kelvin is roughly -273 degrees celsius. It marks the point where, if one were to extrapolate the graph of gas volume as temperature decreases, where gas would have zero volume. It is also known as absolute zero, a point where it is theoretically impossible to get colder.

It takes roughly 8 and a half minutes for light from the sun to reach Earth, however it can take millions of years for energy created in the sun's centre to reach the surface.

The average length of an adult human erect penis is 6"

Humans are roughly 70% water, tomatoes are roughly 90%.

Lepidoptera is the scientific family name for moths and butterflies.

The phrase "Cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey" refers to an old brass plate designed to hold cannon balls. If the plate got too cold it shrank enough the cannon balls wouldn't sit right and would fall off.

Strong and weak when referring to acids means how much the compound making the acid ionises in water. Hydrochloric acid is the most powerful of the strong acids, human stomach acid is mostly hydrochloric acid. Hydrofluoric acid would have to be one of the most dangerous acids though it is classed as a weak acid. It is used to etch glass but could probably eat through almost anything. Sulphuric acid is both a strong and a weak acid.

Human urine contains area, which is a compound our body makes to remove nitrates. Birds produce Uric acid instead. It costs more energy to metabolise it to this state but if they didnt the young birds would get poisoned to death from urea in the egg. Uric acid is insoluble and thus mostly inert. It is the white substance in bird crap.

PS sure I looked a bit of that up to check facts but most is from memory :P

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 4:19 am

When parents come to visit their children at the Judge Rotenberg Center, they are offered a shock... but have any of them accepted? And did they give them the same shock they give the kids?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 12:33 pm

Bako's avatar is Krunch, a minotaur character in the online comic Looking For Group.

SirLogic's factoid regarding space travel is not correct. Space travel is easily accomplished using current technology, although few governments (the only organizations with both the money and the infrastructure to do so) have any interest in traveling beyond Earth orbit. Interstellar travel is quite impractical under current technology, unfortunately.

The belt extending from just beyond the orbit of Neptune to about half a light-year out is called the Kuiper belt. After the discovery of some Kuiper belt objects larger than Pluto, and considerable discussion in the astronomical community, Pluto became an exemplar of a class of objects dubbed "dwarf planets". Had it kept its planet status, the Solar system would today have fourteen known planets, including the asteroid Ceres.

Extending beyond the Kuiper belt, to a distance of between 1 and 3 lightyears (depending on which authorities you accept), is the Oort cloud, consisting of dust, occasional rocks, and some comets.

Ana54 perseverates on the subject of the Judge Rothenberg Center.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2008, 9:59 pm

The Black Death

1. Yersinia pestis was not the cause of the Black Death in the 17th century
2. the plague was caused by direct human-human contact and could have been a haemorraghic virus (similar to ebola or marburg).
3. the black rat was not introduced into England until after the plagues began...

in warhammer40k...

1. despite mentioning the creation of 20 founding space marine legions, only 18 are ever named
2. Two of the primarches are mutants: Sanguinius (wings) and Magnus (cyclops)
3. The Luna Wolves were originally called the Dusk Raiders. They later changed their name to Sons of Horus, then to the The Black Legion.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 11:09 am

SirLogiC wrote:
Antidisestablishmentarianism is apparently the longest word in the English language.

If you want to get technical about it, dictionaries of jargon (which include the terminology of chemistry and medicine) frequently have longer words. The justification for resorting to such lengths is an entirely different discussion altogether. :|

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 1:17 pm

"Alucard" is "Dracula" spelled backwards.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Feb 2008, 1:50 pm

yao ming is considerd the best center in the nba today

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 8:14 pm

Idaho Rose has listened to Gentle Giant.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 8:46 pm

Freddie Mercury was a cat lover.

The Siamese in the original Incredible Journey and That Darn Cat was a chocolate point named Syn-Cat. Disney named him because he synchronized perfectly with the human actors.