GIRLS: Do you find emo STYLES attractive?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2008, 4:10 pm

I have been told I look like an emo! I'm not but like their style.

Answer with detail please!! !!

And I don't like emo music much more like psychedelic, rock, SOME emo types, some techno, some acid rock, female vocalists, trip hop and rap...

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 4:38 pm

The modern, popular concept of emo is itself flawed. Emo was a type of hardcore invented in DC in the 80s by a band called Rites of Spring. Hardcore had been becoming sort of a tough guy thing. Some people got sick of that and tried taking a more sensitive approach to it, playing loud, fast music that embraced a range of emotions. A lot of the original emo came out on Dischord records and similar DC labels.

After that, it spread to other parts of the country and went through different phases. In the 90s, it turned into more of an indie rock sort of thing, with bands like Sunny Day Real Estate. You could still hear the Rites of Spring influence, but it was mellower and more moody. Then in the late 90s, emo was the new trend among hipsters. Slower bands like Rainer Maria became popular. That music sounded like moody indie rock to me. Then it somehow turned into whiney pop music.

I'm puzzled by the contrast between what's called emo today and what was called emo 20+ years ago. To anyone who likes emo, I recommend that self-titled Rites of Spring record on Dischord. I like it (I'm listening to it right now) and I'm not even into emo.

So to answer the question, no I do not find the current "emo" look attractive. I think it's silly. People who like the original emo hardcore (or even know about it) don't dress like that, and I'm attracted to people who know a lot about music.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 6:09 pm

I ahve to admit that I do find the style to be attractive because it seems creative and far from what I had seen growing up as a teen in a conservative city in mid America in the 2000s (think Brittany Spears/Jay Z age :roll: ) So yeah, I think it is eye catching and different, even though it's a fad now.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 9:12 pm

I thought it was a really shy comedian who had his 15 minutes back in the 90s...;) I should get out more...;)

I'm hoping Cyndi Lauper had it best "girls just wanna have fun", but it depends on the 'girl', I suppose...;)

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 9:59 pm

From what I've seen, certain girls seem to like the modern emo style is. My friend was complaining about guys with emo and anime haircuts getting all the girls.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 10:04 pm

The indie music emos are the best. Those are the types of people I am attracted to (if they like indie films and South Park, and vote Democratic, those are definite pluses).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2008, 11:50 pm

Guys with "emo" hair styles can be attractive. I'm not much for "emo" guys' tendency to wear really tight girl pants though... lol

I do like some emo music however.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 12:05 am

The girls I know hate emos. They point them out to me in public and we laugh together.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

10 Jan 2008, 12:11 am

If you're being told you look somewhat emo, yet this isn't a look that you've purposefully made for yourself, I'd say you've probably found your own niche and you're looking good. :) I've almost always liked guys who are just themselves and don't follow a fad, though they may borrow elements.

merr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 1:04 am

I like the shaggy hair. It doesnt need to be a fancy cut.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 7:08 am

Just tell them that you are into shoegaze and those 'emo' kids ripped you off.

Honestly though I was very confused by the teasing a taunts at school. Usually it has no basis whatsoever. It is pure just to get at you. Easier said than done, but try not to show that it is getting to you.

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 9:45 am

I was watching the emo kids go by and thinking about this today. I came to the conclusion that I am not attracted to them, but only because they all look like they are in their early teens, (and I'm not a paedophile). However, I thought some of them had got creative with it and looked pretty cool.

0hanrahan
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2008, 11:11 am

I LOVE Sunny Day Real Estate and that Emo of or the early to late 90s. This 90s scene might include others like My Bloody Valentine and early Smashing Pumpkins.

A lot of listening and tolerance was required to even get me to accept some of what kids today think is emo. Really, half of what they say is emo (Dashboard, etc...) is not to me. The modern bands I do like include:
30 Seconds to Mars
Deathcab for Cutie
Silversun Pickups (More Indie like the 90s and very reminiscent of early Pumpkins)

Back to topic - I don't have a modern Emo look, but in my closet are remnants of 90s era punk/indie revivals - Doc Martens, Vintage retro sneakers, Striped track jackets, studded leather belts and braces.

Currently I have no style and am searching for one.
Do we need a thread on what styles work for single guys looking for women?

iddqd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 11:47 am

Everyone tells me I'm an Emo.............. I mean, a guy dyes his hair black once, he's a goth for life... :?

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2008, 12:29 pm

I don't think I like emos much. They are supposed to be so unique or something, but they look so boring.

Well, I guess some emos are cute.

Rob_Somebody
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2008, 1:36 pm

iddqd wrote:
Everyone tells me I'm an Emo.............. I mean, a guy dyes his hair black once, he's a goth for life... :?

Sorry off topic, this reminds me of a saying i heard in a movie.

"A guy can build a million bridges in his life, but if he sucks one c**k, he is known for being a c**k sucker, not a bridge builder"

Excuse me for being inapropriate, but its how the saying went.

But the face stays painted on for everyone to gaze upon
continuing the bad dream till he wakes up gone.