Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 4:01 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Are you sure the restriction is anti-American? Because the same restrictions applied to the Australian woman that my nephew married - brought her up here to Niagara Falls it was lovely, but then she had to go home to Australia and wait out a few more years. The only thing on your list that affected her was "no blood relatives in-country."I thought it would be easier for Australia because of the Commonwealth but not so.

:o all I know is that I remember reading this in a 1981 newspaper back in the day, Canada stiffened is immigration requirements shortly after ronnie raygun took office, it was a controversy at the time [down here]. I would think that if you married a native that would get you in, so your nephew's experience is somewhat alarming.

Marriages are scrutinized very carefully. Canada is the most desirable country to move to in the entire world and therefore there are a lot of fraudulent marriages attempting to get people in. Heck, there are sometimes even craigslist ads posted seeking Canadian citizens to marry for $$$$ so that someone can get in. If they weren't scrutinized very strictly, marriages would be abused rampantly for access to Canada. It's no surprise at all that a foreigner marrying a Canadian would take a few years of investigation to ensure it's a legitimate marriage vs. an arrangement designed solely to enable access to Canada for the foreign spouse.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 4:10 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Canada's a very multicultural country and everyone is welcome.

Yes it is and no they're not.

As has been discussed in this thread, if you don't have money, knowledge, or skills that can contribute to Canada's bottom line it's very difficult - or impossible - to get into Canada. If everyone was welcome our population would explode with people seeking to leave the terrible countries they're from. We do allow refugees and asylum seekers, but keep a balance by being very selective of the people coming in to work.

Another common way in is getting a pre-arranged job with a Canadian company that fills out paperwork saying they can't find any Canadians willing or able to do the job. This can even be for fast food restaurants (although that was temporarily frozen last year I think) because there are small Northern towns where Canadians aren't willing to move to and live, so foreigners can take the jobs and come in. Not sure what the process is or how many years it takes for people to become permanent residents after getting some sort of employment visa.

Even in large cities like Vancouver there are a lot of people who come in via employment contracts because their family or friends own small businesses here and can employ them. This whole system gets abused, too. Employers pay people very very low wages and they accept it as their ticket into Canada. They'll work for years and just barely survive until they're able to get some sort of more permanent status that allows them to seek work elsewhere. Virtual legal slavery.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Mar 2016, 4:20 pm

The closest I have been to Canada is Cornwall, I can't really comment on it.

There was a Canada level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and it was entertaining.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Mar 2016, 4:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
Are you sure the restriction is anti-American? Because the same restrictions applied to the Australian woman that my nephew married - brought her up here to Niagara Falls it was lovely, but then she had to go home to Australia and wait out a few more years. The only thing on your list that affected her was "no blood relatives in-country."I thought it would be easier for Australia because of the Commonwealth but not so.

:o all I know is that I remember reading this in a 1981 newspaper back in the day, Canada stiffened is immigration requirements shortly after ronnie raygun took office, it was a controversy at the time [down here]. I would think that if you married a native that would get you in, so your nephew's experience is somewhat alarming.

No, I think marriage for sole purpose of immigration is common and they are wary.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Mar 2016, 4:44 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Canada's a very multicultural country and everyone is welcome.

Eventually.