Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2008, 10:56 pm

Apatura wrote:
Who else is guilty of this? If I find a set of clothing that feels right I will wear it day after day. I do wash it every few days, at night, and I change my underwear at least once a day, but the outside clothes stay the same.

(I nearly replied to the thread in the adolescent forum until realizing where it was, so I'm starting one here!)

Yes, I'd seen that thread so many times & wanted to comment-but was stopped by seeing it in section that I never go in (since I'm long past adolescence).

As kid, I only had few items of clothing (that always needed patching where the fabric had worn thin)-not a situation of my choosing-so was eager to have more different outfits (also wanted to fit in with peers & be fashionable). Put lot of effort into planning out what things to wear with what others, as teenager in school-needed creativity to make it seem less like I had such limited options. Felt like I had to put on a good front, of dressing "artsy" to disguise my lack of clothing basics. School years were constant worrisome social display, I hated being so exposed, vulnerable and having such lack of control over my environment.

As adult, things are different, because I hardly ever go out of my apartment & I finally have plenty of clothing. That gives me the freedom to do what feels comfortable to me-which is wear soft loose clothing. In general, since I've got a boyfriend I don't feel pressure to go out & pretend (to look prettier than I really look) all the time, in order to catch some stranger's eye. On the rare occasions I do leave house, I have special uncomfy form-fitting clothing that looks nice & publicly presentable. Those outfits aren't often worn, so I leave folded pile of them for those excursions-they don't have chance to get "dirty". Then I scramble back into my indoor clothing-takes time to get used to how anything feels on my body, so I hate changing clothing-a physically aversive transition. I don't sleep in designated nightwear, always hated nightgowns because they ride up & twist. I just sleep in my usual indoor clothing (sweatpants or flannel pj bottoms & t-shirt or long-sleeve).

So (to try to get back on topic) I'll wear certain items for more or less time, depending on how quickly they seem to be "ready" to go in laundry hamper, and I also alternate between outfits throughout day or week, as circumstances (activity & temperature) suggest. Don't follow some cultural rule that says if I've had clothing on my body for 2 hours, it's automatically dirty. I use fragrance-free detergent & dryer sheets. My favorite items are 15-year-old tee-shirts, they're so deliciously soft (the epitome of "well-worn") !

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 12:31 pm

I've always had clothing favorites since I was a lad. I wear the same jacket, same jeans, I have a set of t-shirts that I go through on a daily basis. I've literally worn t-shirts over and over until they're raggedy ! !

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2008, 9:21 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I've always had clothing favorites since I was a lad. I wear the same jacket, same jeans, I have a set of t-shirts that I go through on a daily basis. I've literally worn t-shirts over and over until they're raggedy ! !

Hehe. Most bluecollar types did that when I was growing up. Dressing up was wearing a tee shirt with no holes and new jeans.

8)

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jan 2008, 12:07 am

So, this explains why I have to rip my boyfriend out of his jeans and why he doesn’t always shower before work (“I took one last night”).

This is totally skeevie to an NT.

Ok someone mentioned you cannot smell your smell. This is true. Clean up! Wash, brush, and for the love of Goddess, don’t sleep in your clothes, you can smell sleep! So homeless.

I don’t know where tradition of changing came from, as mentioned, back in the Little House on the Prairie days it was normal to wear the same thing everyday. Who had funds for threads when you had to feed a family of five.

Now, wearing clothing day after day vs washing every time you wear are two different stories. I don’t wash my jeans often as I like the soft worn feel. I let it go maybe 5 wears as long as I did not spill on them. Since I shower in the morning and don’t sweat at wrok, I save my sweaters and especially dry cleanables for a few wears. I change after work so it is not like I spend 15 hours in the same outfit.

Obviously underwear is a must to never do twice. I had a friend once who would turn them inside out and wear twice. Eww. That means the stank was on the outside.

Even if you wear the same outfit washed and cleaned day after day, it is like the Seinfeld episode where the girl wore the same dress. People wonder why. It’s not about clean, it is (for an NT) variety. All my clothing is soft and comfortable or I wouldn’t own it. So, go to clearance at the end of each season, stock up on soft yummy clothing and change it up.

A favorite outfit is just that, it is not a uniform. I am not criticizing the rational behind it (being cozy, saving water), but there are “appearances” one must keep in this odd society. Sense vs gluttony. NTs notice and will treat you like an outcast if you do not conform, even if conformity makes no sense. So, the little actions that make no sense (like changing your clothes even if not washed) make you more like them, which makes them comfortable because NTs are very uncomfortable around differences.

This applies mostly to work. Home life is up to you. Dating, be careful.

Also, I will sop picking up his scattered laundry off the floor that he is saving for later. Hey, it saves water…

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 12:32 am

I wear the same jeans a few time in a row and some times 4 or 5 days in a row. Alway have clean undies and socks. shirt 2 days or 3. under shirt always clean.

I have what my brother call my uinform.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:54 pm

Pick it up off the floor, give it a smell. Come on, you know all you other single guys do the same thing.

disclaimer: this does not apply to underwear and socks. Those gotta be fresh every day.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 12:23 am

There's more than one reason not to wear socks twice because you can get athlete's foot fungus if you don't have fresh socks daily. I suppose there are similar nasties you can get from not changing one's underpants daily, but I won't even get into that.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 1:12 am

^^^ but I subscribe to the theory that you eventually end up with a healthy balance of good bacteria and it helps strengthen your immune system to not be in too clean an environment.

I always wear a clean shirt each day (habit I think), but will wear the same trousers for weeks (until they obviously need washed) and the same socks for days. But on the plus side, I often shower 2x per day, and I don't have dishes stacked up high in my sink :wink:

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 2:36 am

Take off your jeans and toss them across the room to the corner... if the stand up by themselves... THEY'RE WATERPROOF from all the body oils and dirt accummulated within the fibers :twisted: ... an old biker thing... in some places i guess... it was in Texas anyway.

I thought I posted in this then saw it's a new one... gosh.. did I post in the adolescent forum by mistake?

Anyway, I have always worn the same pants for many days unless I knew I got them 'dirty' in some manner that required washing sooner than later. Definitely washing by smell-check though!

Since I tend to sweat easily when moving about, I often change the shirt closest to my body (if wearing more than one) for sure each day unless I am planning on wearing it to work out in the next morning (it's already sweaty so why not save it rather than sweat up a new one?), or doing something like yard work in it the next day or two.

Since I wear scrubs for work and I work in a lab and in close contact with patients... it sorta behooves me to change those every shift... and after a blood/body fluid splatter.

I wear sandals all the time or go barefoot unless I'm at work so my work socks are about the only socks I ever have to wash.

My undies... it depends on what they look like or smell like as to whether I'll wear them a second day or not... then again, I sometimes wake up and mean to change them but forget when i get engrossed in something, and wind up wearing them again.

Normally, if I haven't sweated hardly at all in my shirts, I toss them onto any surface capable of holding them until I get a stack.
I'll rummage through that sometimes to sniff-test my way to a nice shirt to wear, sometimes when I get a bit frantic about the house mess I'll ball up the whole pile and just wash them.

All this from a guy who does not use soap to wash his body... I scrub lightly with a brush and luffa... no one ever seems to complain about any 'odor' emmenating from my body so I suppose I'm doing okay in the body and clothing department. :wink:

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 8:20 am

Spaceplayer wrote:
Sora, I think it's an "unstated" rule (ok, maybe not unstated if you're young and your parents make you do it). Once upon a time, I assume people did wear the same clothes out of necessity. But with mass production, variety became affordable and available. It's most likely due, now, to status; showing off your wardrobe and your dollars. And a mating ritual as well. "The clothes make the man," they say.

Thank you, I think you're right with this explanation! I tried to observe the behaviour of my classmates towards their clothes and was amazed by how many times somebody gets asked whether they have a new piece of clothing or not. I suppose it's charming to get asked this? Most of the time the answer's 'no' though, followed by 'oh, your XY is so nice'. I never complimented anyone on their clothing to start a conversation.

I also noticed that the boys more likely wore their pullovers and jeans two days in a row than the girls. Overall, it was an odd thing to observe the clothing habits of my classmates.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 1:44 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
^^^ but I subscribe to the theory that you eventually end up with a healthy balance of good bacteria and it helps strengthen your immune system to not be in too clean an environment.

I always wear a clean shirt each day (habit I think), but will wear the same trousers for weeks (until they obviously need washed) and the same socks for days. But on the plus side, I often shower 2x per day, and I don't have dishes stacked up high in my sink :wink:

Well then the twice daily showering totally debunks the concept of creating a balanced bacterial community on one's skin. I would however worry of going through the anaerobic stage where the bacteria put off unbelievable amounts of "stink" therefore would nix the whole experiment and just shower. I like showering; it removes all the negative energy and bad germies other people try to pass to you.

I bet the reason you don't have dishes stacked high in the sink is because your wife does them. :lol:

mel01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jan 2008, 1:54 am

i have to change my complete set of clothes every day,but have a limited selection of things that i actually wear which is quite amusing as i have a special interest sounds better than obsession with having to own new clothes that i will never wear . more often than not i like the way something looks or feels but have no compulsion to weart the items.

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 3:17 pm

I wear the same clothes like for a whole week. Mainly I wear the same jeans over and over because they are so comfy. I change my shirt every 2 or 3 days.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 10:32 pm

I usually get 2-3 days out of a change of clothing, though it appears that I'm almost always wearing the same clothes due to the fact that nearly all of my clothing consists of jeans and black Dickies pocket T-Shirts.

Sway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jan 2008, 6:33 pm

I do that alot.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2008, 7:07 pm

I only do this as a last resort.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!