Post the most insulting/ condescending/ patronizing thing...

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:57 pm

Seemed to have escaped much of this.

Not condescending, but got just plain odd things from shrinks.

The first shrink mom and dad sent me to (when I was like 8 or 9) was beyond useless. In one session the subject of the our up coming big family summer vacation road trip out west came up. I told him that I "like vacations". He then kept pumping me to explain to him "why?" I liked taking vacation trips. That bares repeating. WHY I like vacation trips.

All my kid mind could come up with was "well..it's different". He replied "being thrown into a barrel of ice water is 'different'!". Never could come up with a good enough answer for him, and ended up feeling mildly dumb. Half of a century later as a middle aged adult thinking back on it it still seems odd to me that "why I like going a vacation trip to see the cousins and the grandparents, and the sites out west" isnt self-explanatory.

As a child I loved to draw my own comic books with crayons. Make up stories and draw the characters living out the stories in groups of pictures- like crude comics.

Years later mom and dad told me about how they told one of my shrinks about that habit, and about how I called each installment of these comic book stories "episodes". They told me that saying that to the shrink got the shrink angry at them! The shrink tongue lashed them, and said that "NO child would ever use a term like 'episode'!" And that they then chastised my parents for telling aggrandized stories about their kid-me!

I COULD take that as a compliment (that the shrinks thought I was an impossible kid genius).

And I was an aspie. I probably did occasionally use grown up terms that most eight year old didnt use. But "episode"?

If the dumb shrinks had ever paid attention to the TV fare that any eight year old would have consumed at that time (the time being the early Sixties) they would have noticed that the term "episode" is not particularly "grown up". Lol!

Every dumb TV show on the air (both kid cartoons, and dumb sitcoms) at that time referred to each installment of itself as an "episode". TV announcers constantly talked about "this episode of bat man.. episode of Hogan's Heroes". So for a child to call a chapter of his own crayon drawn stories "episodes" would be a natural way for an early Sixties child to ape the media.

My guess is this: the word "episode" is also part of social science jargon. Shrinks use it themselves in describing the lives of their patients. Apparently SOME shrinks have their heads so far up their own asses that they dont even realize that some of their shrinkspeak terms are also common terms used in the real world. Lol!

Astralis
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2017, 4:38 am

"Oh, I see you were in the psych ward (voluntarily). How is that possible when you haven't even tried to kill yourself?"