Odin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:20 am

liberty wrote:
Kaleido wrote:
What is an overcompensated Aspie?

What does that mean?

According to the shrink - I learned to compensate for my shortcomings and don't know how to turn the learned behaviors off. I overcompensate.

I have a similar tendency to overcompensate in certain things, I tend to act very formal and "chivalrous," holding open doors for women and elderly people and similar things to compensate for my lack of "instinctive" social skills.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 9:40 am

Odin wrote:
liberty wrote:
Kaleido wrote:
What is an overcompensated Aspie?

What does that mean?

According to the shrink - I learned to compensate for my shortcomings and don't know how to turn the learned behaviors off. I overcompensate.

I have a similar tendency to overcompensate in certain things, I tend to act very formal and "chivalrous," holding open doors for women and elderly people and similar things to compensate for my lack of "instinctive" social skills.

I speak very formally, and act like someone from Victorian Society, prim, proper and enunciating dreadfully. I have a job working with the elderly on the telephone about their Medicare insurance and get a long quite well with them " Thank you, Mrs Jones, may I call you Jane?" "Yes, Ma'am/Sir, that premium will be 35.70 a month for the remainder of the year."
after hearing "Here ya' go" for "Thank you, please come again" they think I am 'refreshing'!
Merle

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 2:25 pm

ebec11 wrote:
MikeH106 wrote:
"Don't use AS as an excuse to be rude" seems like it would be an easy way to hound anyone over matters of delicate politeness. Most of us joke every now and then, whether or not we have AS.

Next time someone tells you that, try asking specifically what it is that they want you to change.

Funny enough I did use my Autism once (ONLY once - it was to this really evil math teacher who was a complete jerk and had no clue how to teach me. I'm a visual learner, but ALL he did was talk! I had no clue what the heck this guy was saying half the time, especially since he would switch topics EXTREMELY quickly without warning. He also called visual learners stupid, and he was really mean to me in class!) so that I could say things in class that most people would go to the office for, but since he had no clue about Autism and he was scared of me because I spoke the truth, he just let me be :D
I probably wouldn't do it again though, since I basically was letting him know that he was totally getting to me

Aww, Selphie is so cute!

Anyway, sounds like you had a bad math teacher. The best of us math majors learn to be careful with words like "stupid."

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Yoshie777
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 2:33 pm

I'd say quite a few people have said that to me. It would anger me at first, but I would slowly begin to accept their point of view. However, that only depends on the person who said that.

We all deal with problems and strife, but it's how we deal with them that makes all the difference in the world.

"You are no accident!"
-Rick Warren

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2008, 2:40 pm

Odin wrote:

When I was younger it was like I live alongside everyone else and it was going to Church and learning things from the elders that helped me see what to do and when. Someone called Jack, who I expect has passed on now, often set me good examples and after trying hard to remember to do some things, they eventually became habitual. I still have to be on my guard for most things though.

I don't think I have ever used my AS as an excuse because I am often more in denial mode and can find other reasons for my mistakes. Thats not so good either, if I end up losing my temper its because someone did something wrong and not because I got frustrated, so it can be just as bad not to accept our Aspieness because we blame someone else instead ; )