My son is overjoyed at finding other AS people.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Antigone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2005, 11:37 pm

I showed this site to my 11 year old son tonight. He just loved it. He has never met another person with AS so I think seeing all these other people that struggle with the same issues made him very happy. He even posted some messages on the boards.

07 Sep 2005, 12:15 am

Thank You Antigone,

WrongPlanet.net is a great place for Aspies of all ages to find their voice, to ask questions, and recieve support.

I am an Aspie, who has just returned to teaching Special Education.
Today, I work in a gifted program at a private school for students who are on the autism spectrum.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 8:49 am

I think I may have read some of his posts. Made me smile....

BeeBee

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2005, 8:52 am

:D

Nemesis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2005, 6:14 am

Hi Antigone,
I've just found this place and showed my 14 year old son. Like your son he's delighted to find somewhere where he feels 'at home' and doesn't need to worry about people thinking he's wierd.

I'd be interested to know if people have found that their children find it helpful to meet other 'Aspies'. I thought I'd try and find a support group locally and my son is really keen.

Nemesis :)

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 8:06 am

It is really cool that younger kids can come here and talk about things, including being aspies. I wish I had found WP sooner, though. :cry:

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2005, 12:27 pm

My son doesn't go to a support group per se but then I have very aspie like tendancies myself so he already sees someone similar to himself. I know many adults here have said they wished they had found other aspies ealier.

One thing to remember about aspie-aspie freindships is that they don't necessarily look like NT friendships. If you do find a support group, messure its success in if he seems to get something out of it, not if you see NT like friendships.

BeeBee

08 Sep 2005, 1:35 pm

My son just started going to a social skills group with other AS kid 8 to 10 years of age from the surrounding area. He seems to like meeting the other 'Aspergers guys". He also likes his teachers because " they like guys like me"

Nemesis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Sep 2005, 2:13 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I'm seeing my son's psychologist next week so I'll ask about Aspie groups - it sounds as if it might be something he would enjoy.
Thanks BeeBee for your comment about not judging things by NT standards. I suspect I have done my son a disservice by doing that in a lot of areas of his life. Clearly the learning process is very much a 2 way street.
Thanks again,
Nemesis.