Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2008, 8:58 pm

What makes you think we are not mostly in agreement that Asperger's has a physical cause and effect? I reread all the replies, and I got no such impression. Some even directed links to studies that showed that there are in fact real physical differences. But causes at this point are all still theoretical, as are everything else about how a normal brain functions. Nuero science right now can only go so far in what they can observe and collect. Even the very basic functions of the brain are all theory, but that doesn't mean it's all made up and our brains don't actually do anything at all. It just means there is more to discover. Anyway, what would it prove if none of us were in agreement? Most of us aren't nuero scientists, and we definately are not a hive mind. So differences in opinions and interpretations shouldn't be uncommon in any forum.

I'm really not sure what your asking about brain scans. How we would feel about it? Why there isn't one for diagnosis? You make it sound like looking for Asperger's should be as simple as looking for a tumor. The human brain is the most complex object in the known universe, and learning why Autism is there and how it physically works is not as simple as taking a picture. If there was an imperfect one, as you suggested, well it wouldn't really surprise me. I'm still not sure how open with other people I would be about it even if there were a few superior diagnostic tools. Up to this point, the only person I've told besides the faceless people on this forum was my mom. And, personally I'm not in a big hurry to tell everyone else, whether or not Asperger's becomes "popular" like ADHD. But more knowlege on both sides could be an improvement for alot of other people. And for some, being identified is the only way they will ever get the help and support they need. No one should ever have to feel like they need to hide their differences just because other people think they're only different because they want to be special. It's not easy to confront something head on or come to terms with it if we refuse to even aknowlege it's there in the first place.

Last edited by Pithlet on 26 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm

It's awesome, that's what.