Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2008, 9:28 am

Media Player Clasic with the Klite Codec Pack

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2008, 6:18 pm

Windows Media Player is the better of the two. Not only is the audio/video quality better, it does not 'phone home' every 24 hours like RealPlayer does, nor does it waste system rescources in the same manner as RealPlayer and Quicktime by default loading on system startup.

That being said, I also like using the MPEG function on Winamp, because I can at least use a Parametric EQ for audio via the VST HostBridge plugin.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 5:15 am

Oops, I forgot to include Quicktime. Oh well, none of the computers I use work well with it.

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 10:50 am

Anything but realplayer. Realplayer, in my experience, is a load of ****. Use Windows Media Player, WinAmp, Quicktime, VCL, Zplayer, MPC... whichever you like.

I use Windows Media player myself.

shaggydaddy
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2008, 4:14 pm

quicktime and realplayer are worse than no player at all...

Media player is ok, but I prefer Mplayer because it plays ANYTHING, and does NOTHING besides play media files... it won't take me to an online store, it won't offer to help me rip CDs or download album information... it PLAYS MEDIA, something which other players don't seem to have as priority number 1.

Link to Mplayer homepage.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:37 pm

I used to have WinAmp and liked it, but then it got all buggy and stopped working right. So I went back to Windows Media Player.

I don't like Realplayer.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:39 pm

Winamp for audio, VLC for video

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 4:47 pm

Winamp/PowerDVD on windows

iTunes/VLC on OSX

alex
Developer
Developer

30 Jan 2008, 4:51 pm

quicktime has better codecs than crappy windows media player and real player

although the future seems to be in flash video.

vlc is good for divx.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 6:30 pm

alex wrote:
quicktime has better codecs than crappy windows media player and real player

although the future seems to be in flash video.

vlc is good for divx.

Quicktime is good on Apple hardware, though when I had a mac, I hated the fact that Apple insisted that I pay extra for a 'Full Version' of Quicktime rather than the limited functionality/featured free version that was default shipped with MacOS, which was essentially the same as the version available for Windows.

Say what you will about M$ ans Windows, they at least ship a fully featured version of their media player, whilst Apple charged me a premium on hardware/software, and didn't even include a fully featured version of Quicktime. I was nagged to spend an extra $35.00 to upgrade to Quicktime Pro every time I ran the program. --This was back during the days of OS9.

On the Windows platform, the Quicktime/iTunes bundle that I downloaded from Apple didn't allow for a custom install, and set itself up to load at system startup, which slows the startup time and takes up memory. --I had to run an MSConfig to disable that.

Also, even though had set it not to set itself up as the default media playback program, iTunes would associate itself all MP3 files on my system every time I ran the program, which would cause me to go into Windows and reassociate those files with my default MP3 player (Winamp).

Furthermore, aside from it's own proprietary system, Apple has never ported Quicktime to the greater UNIX/Linux community. It's been a few years since I've run a *NIX flavor, but I still know of no player for these systems/ archetectures that support Quicktime due to the fact that Apple has steadfastly refused to release Quicktime Codecs and codec specs to *nix developers.

Granted, M$ has never supported the *NIX community either, but then again, demoware they never asked users of their own products to spend extra cash for a 'full version' of the media player that is essentially an extension of their own OS.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

Erm... I seem to be able to play qt/mov files. Via VLC and mplayer plugins, here in Seamonkey.

In amongst the various players I have installed, I'm sure I have various other ways to play them. Maybe I've not come across some variant file that I can't play?

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 7:50 pm

I've never heard of Realplayer, but I know what Windows Media Player is. WMP sucks for .mp3 music, as it doesn't play it right. I prefer not to listen to music anymore, seeing as though I can't download a different music player.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2008, 9:20 pm

lau wrote:
Erm... I seem to be able to play qt/mov files. Via VLC and mplayer plugins, here in Seamonkey.

OK, as I stated, it's been a few years since I used Linux as a desktop OS. --Good to see that somebody has hacked out a way to play .qt/.mov files.

Other than that, I still think that Real Media, and Quicktime are still horrible. Windows Media files are only slightly less horrible, though if I was currently using an Open Source OS, I'd hate Windows Media files just as much because all of those formats are proprietary and do not conform to open standards, and the vendors will not open their standards.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jan 2008, 9:27 pm

I would say no to both. If you have to use realplayer files there is program that can play them no phoning home. Real Alternative is what it is called.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Re ... 54136293/1 <-- there's a link
and to replace window's media player video lan player or VLC.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ <--- VLC

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2008, 5:26 am

I think Realplayer would be better for MP3's.