For thoese of you who are unemployed

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2008, 8:33 am

I was wondering since many of you seem to be either have trouble obtaining employment and/or maintaining it, What do you think it is that is keeping you from being employed? What do you plan on doing about it?

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Feb 2008, 8:33 am

At the moment Agoraphobia is keeping me from working and has to be dealt with before I can do anything. I dont know what to do about the agoraphobia yet but waiting on some mental health team to come help me.

In the past problems for employment to me have been that I dont use the phone. I find them very difficult and pretty much everything has a phone number to apply. Finding jobs that mean I wont ever have to use a telephone is also important and a job that limits my exposure to being around the public.

I only lost jobs because they relocated.

Caravaggio
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2008, 9:15 pm

I've got computer skills that put the local techs for the city to shame but the fact is I want to go to college and thus can't do 9-5 mon-fri. The main industry here is hospitality and unless you're A)A pretty girl or B)have a lot of experience you aren't going to get hired anywhere.

Finally found one job that will work around it quite well and I will get hired if my references check out. Might be getting a computer consultation gig if they like me, feel I passed the interview with flying colors but missed a really stupidly easy question because I misread the interviewer.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2008, 9:04 pm

I'm ok at keeping jobs, But i am unemployed because i can't seem to get through the interviews, what's worse is some companies have started this policies of having spontaneous phone interviews. which means at any given moment i could get a call and be expected to do a job interview and know what the company is about like I'm expected to remember the intimate details of every company i sent a CV to.
I think in one interview i stared at the interviewer overcompensating which might have lost me the job, ah, their loss the last company i worked for i replaced an entire company, the company who made the chips and the bluetooth stock i was coding on and managed to solve some big problems they couldn't. this is they i would prefer to be covered by discrimination legislation rather than disability legislation. i don't want handouts i want to get past the interview.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:15 am

I job hop every 2 to 4 years. No job is ever enough to keep me interested for long. Well at least until I found my current job field which I like a lot (travel).

But before that I would be employed in a company in an entry level position, in less than 6 months I would become better than most of my managers and supervisors at doing my job and their job... eventually i'd get burned out by the constant need to navigate the 'social office politics' and all the associated bullcrap that comes with it (its like a rumor mill turned into a soap opera.. sheesh).. eventually realize its pointless to deal with these people that are more interested in backstabbing each other than getting stuff done right and I leave after there is no more for me to learn in that place.

Finding a new job was also difficult since I had to avoid jobs similar to the ones I had been employed in before. Tried a couple of times to go back into the same field but found out it was the same turds coming out of a different anus.

WilsonFisk

17 Feb 2008, 11:21 am

Dantac wrote:
I job hop every 2 to 4 years. No job is ever enough to keep me interested for long. Well at least until I found my current job field which I like a lot (travel).

But before that I would be employed in a company in an entry level position, in less than 6 months I would become better than most of my managers and supervisors at doing my job and their job... eventually i'd get burned out by the constant need to navigate the 'social office politics' and all the associated bullcrap that comes with it (its like a rumor mill turned into a soap opera.. sheesh).. eventually realize its pointless to deal with these people that are more interested in backstabbing each other than getting stuff done right and I leave after there is no more for me to learn in that place.

Finding a new job was also difficult since I had to avoid jobs similar to the ones I had been employed in before. Tried a couple of times to go back into the same field but found out it was the same turds coming out of a different anus.

I know exactly where you're coming from. Office politics is everywhere becasue NT's are everywhere. It's depressing knowing that you're handicapped from ever reaching financial freedom without enduring the suffering from NT's because of AS.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 1:18 pm

I dont see it as a handicap. I think that if i had stayed in those jobs regardless of the social drama id've been miserable after reaching a point where there was no more to learn or do... regardless of the income.

Id rather be broke and happy than well off and miserable.

Although im not at my dream job yet , I know its in my current line of work and ill get there soon enough :D

aaronrey
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2008, 8:54 pm

same here. i dont know if i can ever be in a long-term job where i can climb the company ladder because i always want to learn something new. i think i can keep my current job but i fear that if i ever leave this job, i cant find another one.

Othila
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2008, 5:19 am

RobotGreenAlien2 wrote:
Quote:
I'm ok at keeping jobs, But i am unemployed because i can't seem to get through the interviews, what's worse is some companies have started this policies of having spontaneous phone interviews.

I'm the same way. I hate interviews with a passion. I think I rather prefer some form of physical torture than to go to one. My last one lasted 50 minutes. It involved two people telling me I had to use their precise language and that I also had to come up with complete and superdetailed real life scenerios to their questions. It's was probably one of the most stressful and aggravating 50 minutes of my life.
I wanted to scream that I don't think like that and that I have Customer Service experience but I treat everyone the same because lets face every customer is the same and is appeased the same way; by greed. In interviews I always wish that I can explain some of my logic and methods for gettting my job done but lately the employers who call me for an interview seem to share blood with Hitler or something. Either you fit in the box or you don't

Quote:
i don't want handouts i want to get past the interview.

I feel you on that one. I know on the job that I do better than average and would actually be a major assest to any company I work for because I would give it my all.

McGuinness

19 Feb 2008, 5:23 am

RobotGreenAlien2 wrote:
I'm ok at keeping jobs, But i am unemployed because i can't seem to get through the interviews

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Feb 2008, 5:08 am

I'm only 16...although I do need a part time job.
At the moment, my lack of motivation is stopping me from finding employment. I just can't be bothered to do much of anything anymore. It's different from laziness...it's almost like nothing really matters anymore. I tell myself I need to do something [i.e get a job] and a week later I have still not done anything about it.

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2008, 6:15 am

I am currently unemployed because I have, for a few years, been in a cycle of "leap into new, totally unsuitable, job, and burn out within a few weeks", with burn out meaning a am unable to work for a few months until my mental health improves.

Now I am working toward a degree in geoscience so I can find jobs that I suit and that suit me, but my sickness record is now awful so I am a bad employement prospect.

I have a cover letter I enclose with applications explaining that whilst I have been off work I have been studying, and now understand that I am Dyspraxic, and in the right working environment will be a good employee. However, I have not yet been offered an interview.

All of my experience is in front line customer service, or very basic clerical duties, which is not the area of work I will do well in! It's something of a catch-22 situation.

Robin

PlicketyCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2008, 5:28 pm

I've been unemployed for almost 2 years, over 3 years full-time. Anxiety and agoraphobia are my big blocks. I get panic attacks just looking at job listings. My last job messed me up so badly that I can't even drive near that part of the city without having a panic attack. I'm glad I finally found out about AS and that I was actually getting overloaded with sensory information which was causing a lot of my stress and decompensation behaviors. My anxiety and agoraphobia are tied to my PTSD, and even my shrink doesn't think I'm going to find a position that won't mess me up for a long time. I keep going to therapy. I keep my skills from getting rusty by doing sample stuff at home. I feel bad about not working, but I think working would really kill me right now... can't think of any type of "real" job that would work out, and freelance usually means meetings, interviews and talking to people (which seriously freaks me out).

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2008, 2:07 am

plick,

I have no personal experience with this company but on paper it looks very promising.

http://www.strategicresearchnetwork.com/index.asp

In short, this job is all about data mining the internet from home.

You research stuff they ask you to, make phone calls to get better information, etc.

I almost got into it before I got my travel industry job.. but I kept this link. Hope it helps you (and others) :)

omgkeke
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2008, 11:11 am

I don't anyone wants to hire me. I've never had a job, and I've turned in numerous applications.

I actually don't know why no one even wants me to come into even an interview. Something's up, and I don't know what it is. :cry:

Lessian
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2008, 6:42 am

Back when I was mentally intact, I had no problem getting a job. Everyone loved me.
It only took one job and one bitchy boss to screw me up and splinter me into a thousand little fragile pieces.

Since then, I have not been able to keep a job for more than six months. The novelty wears off and they start to realise exactly what they have hired. They put deadlines on my work that I am unable to meet because I am unable to sense time like they can and often am running late or behind schedule.
Usually one of two things happens. 1 - They fire me citing slowness, poor effort, and not being a team player. 2 - After sensing that things are going sour, I quit rather than have the humiliation of being fired.

Because of my work history, I look like a job hopper with no reliability or stability. This is kind of true, but through no fault of mine, yet I have to bear the consequences.

When faced with not being able to pay bills or feed myself, I am driven by desperation to look for work again. However doing any kind of jobsearch usually leaves me feeling miserable, teary and depressed. I am unable to afford counselling or psychiatric treatment, and had to get my low-grade anti depressants from a gp who did not know me from a bar of soap and could barely even speak english. Usually when I am able to get a new job, I spend all my wages trying to catch up on bills and debts that I missed paying while unemployed.

Yet apparantly I have no disability and do not require help.

cant endure then you can't inhale