Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:33 am

There are alot of people who blame others, or make excuses, in this world. Up until recently, I was also a member of that group. I sometimes thought to myself, why me, poor me, what did I do to deserve this, as if there was someone else to blame.

Recently, upon discovering that I had AS, I made peace with myself. Everything makes sense now. I found, that all I ever really wanted to know was, why, I had these thoughts and feelings that I do. Realizing that, I no longer feel sorry for myself. I used to get very depressed because I can't perform socially, as well as others do. F**k that!! ! :twisted: I have advantages that others can only dream of. Sure I have disadvantages as well, but so does everyone else. I was born unique, and I am now thankful for that. The peace and confidence that comes with, accepting yourself for who you are, can be life-changing.

Most importantly, no one else can convince you of this, its something you have to realize, and accept, on your own.

For those who watched The Matrix, I like to think, finally accepting that I have AS was like NEO realizing and accepting that he was "the one". :wink:

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:55 am

Amen to this entire post. Self-knowledge and self-acceptance are a tremendous comfort.

duncansbass
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Location: Flatting thirds, fifths, and sevenths for over 20 years

06 Feb 2008, 8:53 am

Sleepy speaks truth. Most of the unhappiness and misery I've seen on this site is from those who do NOT accept who they are, and what AS means for them. I am quite at peace with it, and don't even have all that much anxiety. Good for you, jawbrodt. Been there myself.

Now, all we need to do is not get into fights with creepy pale dudes with dreads on moving trucks...

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 9:54 am

jawbrodt wrote:
Most importantly, no one else can convince you of this, its something you have to realize, and accept, on your own.

Sort of like saying "I can open the door, but you must choose to walk through it" ?

username88
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 10:52 am

I know I can think highly about myself, but its pointless if no one agrees.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 10:55 am

Same thoughts jawbrodt. Good going!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 11:42 am

username88 wrote:

why care if nobody else agree's ? The main NT dysfunction is the drive to impress eash other looking for approval, most of them fail to make it too the top of the food chain and are looked down on by the snobs that think they are better than the rest of the peons, they don't go threw life depressed they aren't in the right click of psychopaths.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 3:36 pm

username88 wrote:

You have much to learn, grasshopper. :wink:

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:01 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
jawbrodt wrote:

Sort of like saying "I can open the door, but you must choose to walk through it" ?

Exactly!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:43 pm

Glad you brought that up because it's something I'm still trying to struggle with. This may be a sensative issue but I'm a recovery alcoholic and have been clean for over a year and a month. Only 2 years ago I was diagnosed with AS. I used to drink heavily before going to any Raves or social events. In the beginning I felt like I could overcome this intense shyness and actually be able to chat with people casually. Didn't take long for my drinking to get out of control. I had been doing things I would never do sober which were down right outrageous and fights prior to blackouts. It's been an ongoing journey to accept the way I am with AS and staying sober. I've been in and out of hospitals and inpatient treatments. The worse scenario for me would be jail. Before I'd been diagnosed with AS, I used to blame a lot of my problems onto people espeacially my own family. I thought I was being ignored or they just couldn't accept me. Now after being educated about this social developmental disorder I realize I wasn't reaching out and that I had a disease of alcoholism which made it worse. In my recovery program I couldn't believe how much support I got. I've learned a lot about false pride. I still have trouble telling my sponsor about my feelings espeacially over a phone. It's an ongoing task to stay clean but to also accept that I have this condition and let it go. Good discussion.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 5:38 pm

I would say i've accepted AS, but I try to overcome it by learning about how to interact soically. The end result is that I can be accepted by society without having it influence me.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:28 pm

username88 wrote:

Screw the bastards.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Feb 2008, 7:48 pm

i think its great if people can live normal lives with aspergers. i just have a big problem with others living on the spectrum looking down on those who recive assistance like there all high and mighty and a few months later recive assistance for there disabilities and act like its ok and of course there not being hippocrites. i have news for you, you are being a hippocrite and it isnt ok so now your gonna get called on it everytime you look down on others

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 8:00 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i think its great if people can live normal lives with aspergers. i just have a big problem with others living on the spectrum looking down on others who recive assistance like there all high and mighty and a few months later recive assistance for there disabilities and act like its ok and of course there not being hippocrites. i have news for you, you are being a hippocrite and it isnt ok so now your gonna get called on it everytime you look down on others just what you do

Seconded!
It does not make sense to recieve benefit or accomodations for 'disabilities' but say anyone who sees their ASD as a disability is just making excuses,or that they see ASD as a difference only.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 8:20 pm

richardbenson wrote:
i think its great if people can live normal lives with aspergers. i just have a big problem with others living on the spectrum looking down on others who recive assistance like there all high and mighty and a few months later recive assistance for there disabilities and act like its ok and of course there not being hippocrites. i have news for you, you are being a hippocrite and it isnt ok so now your gonna get called on it everytime you look down on others just what you do

I don't consider myself to be better than anyone. I guess I was hoping that my thread might give others hope that AS doesn't have to be a winless battle. It took me years to come to terms with who I am, and I think others have it in them to reach this point as well.

I have a very hard time putting my thoughts into words and, at the time, my intentions of this thread were meant to be inspirational. Looking back, If I had read this thread 10 years ago, it would have seemed overwhelming. That was not my goal. For all those offended, I'm sorry. My alpha personality has a mind of its own sometimes. I just want others to know that, truly accepting yourself for who you are, is necessary, in order to find peace and stability in life.

Also, if you have anxiety problems, controlling them should be of highest priority. Just speaking from experience. Best of wishes, jawbrodt.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Feb 2008, 8:26 pm

yeah i know. the comment was directed twords those who looked down on others in the past and now recive assistance themselves