Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

LemonDemon
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Feb 2008, 10:38 pm

I'm having no luck finding information online, so I was wondering if someone on WrongPlanet had any ideas or suggestions on how to stop repeating oneself? I 'catch' myself doing it sometimes, but I'm fairly certain I don't most of the time and I think it might be hurting job interviews and such if it looks like I'm consistently mumbling/mouthing the ends of my sentences. It's nonvocal, so it's hard for me realize I'm doing it. I read a tidbit or two in medical paper synopsis's online, but the full papers cost money I don't have and it doesn't say what exercizes someone goes through to break the habit. I'm open to suggestions, thanks in advance.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 10:42 pm

I normally repeat my last words when thinking. The only way I lessen it is by rehearsing prior to speaking out loud. It's what works for me.

When I notice I'm going to repeat myself, I make a conscious effort not to. :shrug: Other than that...

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 12:53 am

Ahh yea i know i repeat myself a lot, if you can try to do something to get ur mind off of it, like have you ever tried writing it down instead? like as soon as it comes to ur mind, instantly get a piece of paper and pen, and dont open ur mouth at all, control your mouth, tape it if u got too lol, and write it all down. First step is control, but as long as u get it out somehow or someway without verbalizing it, is the another step, after that when you feel it coming find a way to channel it differently, like instead clasp your hand into a fist as many times as you can, and keep doing it until you dont feel it come to your mind, next try blinking it as many times as you can, try channelling it different ways until you dont even need anything anymore. Hope what i said helped you alittle!

Paladin_Cecil
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 12:55 am

I repeat myself too. I guess it's forgetfullness.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2008, 2:57 am

I'll repeat myself too, sometimes I'll say one thing, then a minute later I'll say the exact same thing again. At first I thought it was just because for some reason I was thinking that the other person didn't hear, but now I'm not so sure.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 5:11 am

It's an autism thing. There's probably no way to stop it without totally killing your verbal ability, i.e., you focus so much on not doing it, you're then probably unable to communicate as well, or at all. I know I do it, it's even evident in my posts, but once the words have left my mouth/mind, that's when I realize, it usually take a little while to figure out however.

Personally, it doesn't bother me, but not many things do. It's just a nuance that we exhibit, something that makes us look "odd" and "eccentric". I doubt it'd affect the job interview compared to other aspects of autism, a lack of eye contact for example.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:08 am

Please do not let me be misunderstood topic

I do it, and have had this pointed out to me, much like everyone here. I just tell others that I am trying to remember what I am saying, and that, as a tutor, I repeat info to help myself and my students. I do not see why repeating information is so detrimental. I would rather repeat meself thatn be misunderstood. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:12 am

I do it a lot when I'm talking to the cats. (Yes, I'm a crazy cat lady who talks to her cats!) I say, "Aren't you a pretty kitty, pretty kitty?" or something similar. I'm sure the cats think I'm nuts too.

mrsry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2008, 9:06 am

A long time ago, someone pointed out to my whole class that I silently repeat everything I say. Since then, I've tried to keep it in my head, and it seems that a more productive strategy is to plan out the next thing I'm going to say.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:31 am

What ever are you guys talking about? talking about? :wink:

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:34 am

Hmm. My grandmother had a nervous habit, a nervous habit of repeating herself when she'd get in a temper. She'd say everything twice, say everything twice! Hehehe.

Furthermore, I'd say she went into Aspie meltdowns on a regular basis, and she was the only person I've ever known who was really understanding about mine. Really nice lady, actually. We got along awesomely.

If it's in any way related, I'd just say relax.

I've only ever done it in mid-sentence, though. I just ignore it.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:56 am

Is it the still palilia if you rephrase what you just said? For example, I'll say something like " I need to go do the dishes." and my next sentence would be "Yep, I'd better get up, and do the dishes before it's time for me to make dinner." My first sentence is always a basic thought, but my second will rephrase what I had just said, but with more info to it. It does get on my family's nerves at times. :)

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 5:08 am

I dated someone who did this. She'd repeat the last word most times.

I thought she was schizo.

fainting-goat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2008, 7:12 am

LemonDemon wrote:
I read a tidbit or two in medical paper synopsis's online, but the full papers cost money I don't have and it doesn't say what exercizes someone goes through to break the habit. I'm open to suggestions, thanks in advance.

regarding those research papers on "reducing palilalia": some public libraries and
most colleges/universities subscribe to full text research article services, so you
may be able to get copies that way. also, many libraries offer "inter-library loan"
services which will procure research articles (and other stuff) for you, usually for
free.

easiest may be to contact the author or authors: many have "offprints" of their
articles (paper or PDFs) for free distribution. they may even know of other good
resources. most of them are easy to track down (email) via their university or
institutional web site. they may ignore you, but it is worth trying.

fg