Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What do you think about Kosovo's declaration of independence?
Hooray! 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
Boo! 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
In favour, but with reservations which I will explain 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Opposed, but with reservations which I will explain 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I'm neutral, but aware of the issues 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
I'm unaware of the issues,but I could find Kosovo on a map 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
I'm unaware of the issues, and could not find Kosovo on a map 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 23

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:35 am

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 10:38 am

War again for those folks?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 11:44 am

A bit worried about what will happen to Kosovo now that they've pissed off the Serbs and the Serbs' big brother Russia. Fortunately, Serbia has promised not to use military force but they did say they would use political and economic means of "punishing" Kosovo. Hopefully my country doesn't decide to interfere in this, as we would probably just make it worse. I think this will just continue to exacerbate the divide between Russia and Western Europe. Also, the UN pulled out of Kosovo and was replaced with EU forces. Might this be an indication of the future direction of international disputes? The UN is essentially worthless, so it looks like the EU will be stepping up to handle some of these issues.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 11:47 am

I'm for an independent Kosovo, but if it is pushed too hard and fast, it could be trouble.

Funny how the Serbs want protection for ethnic minorities - they were not worried about that when they were the majority in the Old Yugoslavia and they suppressed other languages/cultures.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 12:43 pm

YAY!! !

The Serbs have no right to complain, their nationalistic and genocidal pretensions caused the whole mess in the region in the first place. If Serbia wants to go on the war path a few well-placed MOABs in downtown Belgrade should shut them up.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2008, 1:21 pm

if there is another conflict, at least we won't have President Bil Clinton targeting Christian positions

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 2:32 pm

I seriously doubt Kosovo will do any better on its own. It's a small, landlocked country.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

17 Feb 2008, 2:41 pm

Hooray!

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2008, 2:54 pm

Kosovo will either become a tax haven and take advantage of its small size by attracting thousands of wealthy people to live there and therefore attracting banks and financial sector jobs or will decline as it has virtually no resources.

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2008, 5:26 pm

Or merge with Albania. I know that Moldova (which is essentially Russified Romania) has been itching to merge with Romania for a while.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 7:11 pm

Odin wrote:
YAY!! !

The Serbs have no right to complain, their nationalistic and genocidal pretensions caused the whole mess in the region in the first place. If Serbia wants to go on the war path a few well-placed MOABs in downtown Belgrade should shut them up.

Well that is what the US / NATO would like us to think. It helps justify their intervention. But one cannot look at the recent conflict in the old Yugoslavia and simply say “Serbs bad, everyone else good”. For instance, an important factor in the whole mess is the artificial borders drawn by Tito (a Croat who wanted to minimise Serb influence), and the West’s insistence on recognising them.

The fact is that Yugoslavia was a sovereign state trying to put down a Kosovan Liberation Army guerilla uprising within its own borders. It had nothing to do with the United States or Britain.

What’s more, NATO’s excuse for bombing Serb civilians was that Serbia (understandably) refused to allow NATO troops to occupy their country (all of Serbia that is, not just Kosovo). It was after NATO started bombing Serbia that the Serbs really stepped up their ethnic cleansing of Albanians.

And then, after NATO “peacekeeping” forces moved in, the Kosovo Albanians returned and ethnically cleansed Kosovo of about 250,000 Serbs (many of whom had already been ethnically cleansed years earlier from Croatia or Bosnia).

The history of the area is pretty complicated, and I intend to find out more. It’s certainly more complicated than our elites would want us to believe. So what exactly were they up to? I think it comes down to our globalist elites demonstrating their "right" and ability to interfere in the affairs of sovereign nations, and crushing anyone ('nationalists' for instance) they perceive as standing in the way of their one-world utopian plans Wherever feasible of course. I don’t think the US or Britain is going to be bombing China for the sake of the Tibetans any time soon, even though the Tibetans have a better historic claim to Tibet than the Albanians have to Kosovo.

windscar15
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2008, 8:53 pm

Every country has a right to exist as an independent state provided the people have the will to make it happen, Kosovo is no different. Problem is the U.S and Europe getting involved. If war happens again, I will oppose any military action by the U.S, Europe, and the UN

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 9:57 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Or merge with Albania. I know that Moldova (which is essentially Russified Romania) has been itching to merge with Romania for a while.

Moldova was a part of Romania, until Stalin decided that it would be very nice to make Moldova a part of the USSR.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 6:48 pm

Perambulator wrote:
Kosovo will either become a tax haven and take advantage of its small size by attracting thousands of wealthy people to live there and therefore attracting banks and financial sector jobs or will decline as it has virtually no resources.

That takes education. Architects, engineers, accountants, computer technicians will all need to band together and find solutions.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 2:47 am

I have a feeling the whole Kosovo fiasco will end up reviving the old Pan-Slavism movement.

Russia and Serbia are already allies....Belarus is allies with Russia, so I'm sure they're against Kosovo independence, too.
Slovakia is also against it....and I've read that the Czech government is likely to go against it as well.

After Serbia fought on OUR side in both World Wars, this is quite a slap in the face to them....and it's not the only slap in the face that Slavic people have had given to them over the centuries (remember when the UK handed Czechoslovakian Sudatenland over to the Nazis against their will?)

The EU may have an opposition pretty soon....

monty
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 11:16 am

ja wrote:
if there is another conflict, at least we won't have President Bil Clinton targeting Christian positions

There were no Christian positions in the Yugoslavian civil war, other than to be opposed to it. The fact that the Serbs are nominally Eastern Orthodox Christians doesn't make their genocide OK.