Does anyone have trouble holding on to their jobs?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2006, 2:05 pm

Fred54 wrote:
I got lucky for my job (9 years at the same place now), I am a software engineer and I work with a small team (about 12 people) who are all highly educated and I am sure 3 or 4 of them are aspie too, others are nerd/geek, so we are almost all in the same bag...

Ack, I'm so jealous! No tongue-biting in your day!! ! :D

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 3:32 pm

I have trouble holding onto a job usually because I walk out of them. I worked the summers when I was at uni but gave that up to look for a more professional job, I worked this summer job for about three years. I then started my first ever full time job in Sept 2005. However there was a culture of bullying and maliciousness in this place that I could not handle and within three months I handed my notice in and told my boss that her workforce were unprofessional and unwell if they find hurting others entertaining and that I no longer wanted anything to do with them. I also had a go at the senior technician and told him he was a wimp with no backbone and that he ought to be ashamed of himself for allowing that kind of behaviour to go on. Now Im unemployed and poor but my morals are intact, I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing and I have a job interview on tuesday so all is good.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 4:37 pm

Fiz wrote:
I have trouble holding onto a job usually because I walk out of them. I worked the summers when I was at uni but gave that up to look for a more professional job, I worked this summer job for about three years. I then started my first ever full time job in Sept 2005. However there was a culture of bullying and maliciousness in this place that I could not handle and within three months I handed my notice in and told my boss that her workforce were unprofessional and unwell if they find hurting others entertaining and that I no longer wanted anything to do with them. I also had a go at the senior technician and told him he was a wimp with no backbone and that he ought to be ashamed of himself for allowing that kind of behaviour to go on. Now Im unemployed and poor but my morals are intact, I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing and I have a job interview on tuesday so all is good.

I admire you for this immensely. It is a difficult world to stand up and be a moral person in. We are sheep amongst a great many wolves and the wimps are the ones who join in instead of stand apart and set an example.

The world would be a lot better place with a lot more of you in it :-)

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2006, 7:16 pm

k96822 wrote:
Fiz wrote:

I admire you for this immensely. It is a difficult world to stand up and be a moral person in. We are sheep amongst a great many wolves and the wimps are the ones who join in instead of stand apart and set an example.

The world would be a lot better place with a lot more of you in it :-)

Thank you, thats a lovely thing for you to say :)

Astreja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2006, 4:55 pm

When things get tough... I tend to get going, right out the door under my own power (or what's left of it, anyway). Longest I've toughed it out in a job was six years as admin assistant to a small accounting firm. Things had been going very well for a long time, then all kinds of things went wrong all at once.

The firm took on two more consultants, which doubled my workload and completely freaked me out when it came to answering phones. I can do two incoming lines, sometimes three, but four is right out.

Simultaneously the firm decided to do a major renovation of the offices. I spent two months working in cramped, dusty quarters across the hall, then came back to an office painted stark white. I had a panic attack on one of the busiest days of the year and almost didn't come back after the weekend. Finally resigned six months later.

Most of my work problems have been people-related. I've been cursed with two verbally abusive bosses, and quit both their companies. But by far I've experienced the greatest pain in big company environments. The culture in those places is virtually incomprehensible to me. Head office bureaucrats make stupid decisions that don't improve either work life or work quality; and my stressed-out co-workers complain about how badly they're being treated, but don't do anything about it. In that kind of environment, walking away is a lot less painful than standing up and trying to fight for my own rights.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2006, 11:00 pm

Yep, have had people problems at every job I've had. I too have walked off a job never to return because of being pissed at the boss. I'm in between jobs right now, and considering what kind of job to take and am very scared about not being in a miserable situation again. Work stresses my social skills totally and I'm tired of it (been working for over 20 years). I'm going back to school so I can do research and am really looking forward to that eventually.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2006, 1:44 pm

Astreja wrote:
Head office bureaucrats make stupid decisions that don't improve either work life or work quality; and my stressed-out co-workers complain about how badly they're being treated, but don't do anything about it..

I have become one of these people because I've lost or left too many jobs trying to do something about it. If you want to get into the head of someone who has given up on career success, I'm definitely the guy to ask. I might have some insight that will clear some of the confusion the unbeaten may have (and, as a result, perhaps save them a few lumps).

Dreadneck
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2006, 8:02 pm

I've thrown in the towel. I'm 34 going back to community college growing back my dreadlocks and applying for social security. I've wasted too many years being what NTs wanted me to be only to get dissed by them.

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 8:27 pm

I have never been able to maintain employment or even volunteer work. I am 40 years old and test with above average intelligence as well. Like many other adults, I went through life with undiagnosed AS. My symptoms severely effected my ability to maintain paid work. I am now diagnosed so I know that I have CAPD, OCD, ADD, and LD, as well as fine and gross motor problems all comorbid with AS.

In the past, before I had any sort of diagnosis, or had ever heard of AS, I would try so very very hard to succeed whenever I did manage to get a job, because, of course, I wanted a life like everyone else. Unfortunately that never worked out for me. There were many times I felt suicidal. The fact that I was unemployable by NT standards resulted in my being unable to earn an income and this in turn effected my ability to form normal adult relationships. I mean, if you can't earn an income you don't get the career-marriage-twopointfive kids existence, you know?

I have this limited talent to do written work. I spent most of my adulthood living on student loans and taking university courses. Yes, I can do university courses as long as the work does not require precision or math or following sequences, but this ability hasn't helped with employment. I honestly cannot even count change at McDonalds.

Over the years I met a couple of men, both kind of f****d up individuals, and I did have children. My kids are wonderful and happy lovely people. They do well in school and get along well with others.

I am now in a relationship with a man who has Asperger's and we're doing great. We are both on disability.

Well, I hate to sound morbid and depressing but sometimes when I look back on the years wasted and how hard I struggled down all the wrong paths, I feel very sad.

I have to be grateful for many things though. I'm grateful to be a Canadian, because at least there is some social safety net to protect me and my family. Also when I complain about how things have gone over the years I am always aware that compared to some people I am very lucky. I know that is true.

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 11:05 pm

Dreadneck wrote:
I've thrown in the towel. I'm 34 going back to community college growing back my dreadlocks and applying for social security. I've wasted too many years being what NTs wanted me to be only to get dissed by them.

I went back to school too, just to stay employable. Although, my Master's in Software Engineering hasn't meant much at all since it is all on their initial feel, it seems, not on creds. Still, there is so much wonder to be had in this amazing time in history; indeed, why play the NT game? Life is a buffet of opportunities. Forget the fancy car and big house, they just make rich people nervous about losing it anyway. :-)

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2006, 11:08 pm

anandamide wrote:
I have to be grateful for many things though. I'm grateful to be a Canadian, because at least there is some social safety net to protect me and my family. Also when I complain about how things have gone over the years I am always aware that compared to some people I am very lucky. I know that is true.

You're so luck to find another aspie too for a relationship! It's a rare find! The future looks like it is going to be great for you. Once we stop judging ourselves using an NT measuring stick, we all get a lot happier!

anandamide
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2006, 4:37 pm

Yes, well to get back to the topic, I am surprised that there are not more threads on this site that have to do with problems AS people might have with unemployment or underemployment. It seems that most Aspies here are doing well when it comes to jobs. Yet I read stats somewhere that said that 75% percent of us have great difficulty in employment. I don't know what is true for others, but I certainly have had my share of problems and it isn't from lack of trying.

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2006, 5:04 pm

Fiz wrote:
[quote: However there was a culture of bullying and maliciousness in this place that I could not handle and within three months I handed my notice in and told my boss that her workforce were unprofessional and unwell if they find hurting others entertaining and that I no longer wanted anything to do with them. I also had a go at the senior technician and told him he was a wimp with no backbone and that he ought to be ashamed of himself for allowing that kind of behaviour to go on. /quote]

Hey Fiz,
Have you seen what I did to a bunch of @ssholes in a nursing home where I worked? Have a look :lol:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... 7963#67963

Be yourself no matter what they say

**Sting, Englishman In New York

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2006, 5:15 pm

anandamide wrote:
[quote: Well, I hate to sound morbid and depressing but sometimes when I look back on the years wasted and how hard I struggled down all the wrong paths, I feel very sad.

I have to be grateful for many things though. I'm grateful to be a Canadian, because at least there is some social safety net to protect me and my family. Also when I complain about how things have gone over the years I am always aware that compared to some people I am very lucky. I know that is true. /quote]

anandamide,
I'll second that and it comes from another Canuck :wink:

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2006, 5:35 pm

Papillon wrote:
Fiz wrote:
[quote: However there was a culture of bullying and maliciousness in this place that I could not handle and within three months I handed my notice in and told my boss that her workforce were unprofessional and unwell if they find hurting others entertaining and that I no longer wanted anything to do with them. I also had a go at the senior technician and told him he was a wimp with no backbone and that he ought to be ashamed of himself for allowing that kind of behaviour to go on. /quote]

Hey Fiz,
Have you seen what I did to a bunch of @ssholes in a nursing home where I worked? Have a look :lol:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/asperger.htm ... 7963#67963

This amused me, how did you get away with that? That was a fab way of getting them back! Did you change the name of the nursing home you worked in in the story you wrote or their surnames or what?

Papillon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2006, 7:33 pm

Fiz,

The Women They Couldn't Hang is a completely true story in which all names and all places are real, right down to what my employee number was when I worked there. Has there been any response of any sort since I sent them all that? Huh! I DARE them! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll tell you what I did do though: firstly I arranged through the College of Nurses that they all get their personal copies. That way, the law could never have anything against me for stalking or having any directly threatening way. Secondly what they did was seriously illegal on their part and it was they who really got away with murder (hence the title) until they messed with the wrong guy: a "dumb" Aspie who couldn't speak up but could write way better than speaking up :wink:

All of my counselors were quite enthralled by it and a few entities that cater to workplace bullying have taken a keen interest in it.