Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 3:06 pm

OSX for mac not only works on PC but it is faster too. All you need is a small hack. Don't use an emulator or anything.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 4:26 pm

Fascinating. Tell me more.
I've been thinking of getting a laptop but Windows sucks and Mac costs a lot more than PC, so the idea of OSX on a PC is very intriguing to me. I wish to learn more.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 2:22 pm

What is the hack?

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 4:22 pm

Vince wrote:
Fascinating. Tell me more.
I've been thinking of getting a laptop but Windows sucks and Mac costs a lot more than PC, so the idea of OSX on a PC is very intriguing to me. I wish to learn more.

The penguins are your friends, the GNUs are your friends, the dragons are your friends... *continuous in a monotonous voice*

well without the joke, have you considere Linux?

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 5:54 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
The penguins are your friends, the GNUs are your friends, the dragons are your friends... *continuous in a monotonous voice*

I have considered Linux, but I'd like something where I can run specific video editing and music production software. Linux is kind of restrictive in those areas, from what I understand.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 7:53 pm

Vince wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:

I have considered Linux, but I'd like something where I can run specific video editing and music production software. Linux is kind of restrictive in those areas, from what I understand.

Does "specific video editing..." mean "Microsoft approved, expensive video editing..."?

If not, you could try running the odd few live CDs, to see what you like.

64studio (Debian based) and Ubuntu Studio are both specifically tailored for "video editing and music production".

Linux is kind of un-restrictive in those areas.

Unfortunately, you won't have to pay for the software, so you won't be able to tell all your friends how much it all cost.

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Feb 2008, 8:18 pm

lau wrote:
Vince wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:

Does "specific video editing..." mean "Microsoft approved, expensive video editing..."?

64studio (Debian based) and Ubuntu Studio are both specifically tailored for "video editing and music production".

Unfortunately, you won't have to pay for the software, so you won't be able to tell all your friends how much it all cost.

Final Cut Pro or Avid have no open source competitors that actually match their features, unfortunately. Ubuntu Studio and 64studio don't have enough capabilities for a lot of high end video editing functionality.

wintersun
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2008, 1:45 am

I've used Final Cut Pro a lot in the past and I haven't found anything else that I like better. Express isn't too bad either if you don't need the really fancy professional tools, but I think they cut Soundtrack from version 4.
It's one of the reasons I bought my MacBook a few months ago. I just love it. Well, it has issues every now and then, but what computer doesn't.

But if you have compatible hardware, OS X on the PC can be just as good, and a whole lot cheaper. Just google osx86 if you're interested and want more info.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 7:56 am

lau wrote:

By specific, I mean programs I'm used to using. For music production I use Buzz. It's a free program, it's even Finnish, but it still doesn't run on Linux. For video editing I need something fairly powerful as I like to experiment, and I've never even heard of a really good video editing program for Linux.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 12:09 pm

alex wrote:
lau wrote:
Vince wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:

Final Cut Pro or Avid have no open source competitors that actually match their features, unfortunately. Ubuntu Studio and 64studio don't have enough capabilities for a lot of high end video editing functionality.

This is quite true, as is the audio production features of a lot of open source audio software leaves a LOT of functionality to be desired when compared to ProTools, or anything that Steinberg ( Cubase, Wavelab, Etc) has to offer. I hate to say it, but the addage of 'You get what you pay for' still applies to a lot of AV production software that is freely available. --A lot of the automation /preview functions that you take for granted in the software that you pay for simply does not exist in free software.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 12:54 pm

So... take the open source applications, and add in those bits you feel are indispensable. This is how it works.