Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 4:20 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Well, everyone with autism, no matter how well they do on standardized tests are socially ret*d; it comes with the disorder.

I'm not.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Othila
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2008, 4:21 am

I'm a huge BB fan so I remember the episode quite well. It was a callous remark of an ugly man trying to make friends with the beautiful people. Maybe I am just really empathic to outsiders or something but considering what a Bit*h his partner is to him just cuz he is ugly and kind of dork made me want to take his side. The way his partner reacted to him was way worse than him calling autistic people ret*d.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 4:31 am

beau99 wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
Well, everyone with autism, no matter how well they do on standardized tests are socially ret*d; it comes with the disorder.

I'm not.

You don't have autism then, or you're ignorant of your own disorder.

If you're not impaired socially (ret*d, impeded, disabled, disordered, etetera, they all fit); you have no ASD.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2008, 5:26 am

Last time I checked 'socially ret*d' was not a criterion for any of the ASD's.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

19 Feb 2008, 5:37 am

Bit rich of someone who's on a f*****g reality TV show to call anyone a ret*d....

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 5:50 am

Zwerfbeertje wrote:

No, socially impaired, which pedantically I might add, equates to the same thing.

Those with autism are easily seen as ret*d and impeded in social skills. But that's schematics as it explains the same thing.

"ret*d" is one of those emotive terms which really has no basis for said emotion in the context of disorders.

celtic_silver
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2008, 7:02 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Zwerfbeertje wrote:

No, socially impaired, which pedantically I might add, equates to the same thing.

Those with autism are easily seen as ret*d and impeded in social skills. But that's schematics as it explains the same thing.

"ret*d" is one of those emotive terms which really has no basis for said emotion in the context of disorders.

Socially ret*d tends to come across as 'has no friends' (regardless of what the dictionary definitions may say) whereas socially impaired just tends to mean you may have a few problems interacting socially.

I have a ton of friends myself. Am I different? Hell yes.
Does it matter? Not really. :D

Unique goooooodddd...

And we do have the varying degrees of how Autism affects us too.

A definition by words is merely a means to deceive oneself. It's meaningless before the truth. What matters is how you perceive things. The slightest shift, then life and death no longer have any meaning.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 7:20 am

Subjectively, I'd say we're held back socially, rather than just impaired. When given the means to interact, we can, i.e., the 'net, understanding people, others with the same disorders, and whatnot; we also improve as we develop, years down the track many young adults who cannot interact and form relationships with their peers will be able to as they mature and their autism lessens (middle aged and onwards). The benefits of this impairment/impediment means we don't care for social grace compared to the factual truth, for many of us anyway.

I wouldn't call our heightened sensory perceptions as ret*d, or even impaired; or lessened of the same perceptions (a high pain threshold has many advantages, as does a heightened sense of eternal mechanisms).

Our ability to fixate like no other is a gift and a curse, it kinda balances itself out.

Executive dysfunction just sucks.

Splintered cognitive patterns is similar to our ability to fixate (really good in one thing, bad in another, rather than relatively "even" cognitively).

That's my subjective take on autism.

kattoo13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2008, 9:17 am

what an idiot.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:46 am

Pithlet wrote:
The term "ret*d" as a noun is derogitory regardless of the context. Even applied to mentally ret*d people, "ret*d" is used in a insulting way rather than an informative way. For that reason saying mentally ret*d or delayed is not the same thing. Just like the "N" word, it's not the meaning of the word that's so offensive, but the common attitudes and intentions of the people who used it in a hatefull or disrespectfull way. I don't think anyone who calls someone else a ret*d is being sensitive or respectfull, whether or not the person they are directing it at is mentally ret*d.

Also, even with LF autistic people, assuming they are ret*d in the traditional sense is highly debatable. Many years ago deaf people were also called dumb simply because no one tried to communicate with them in a way that they could process. Deaf people may be disabled, but most are not dumb. In the same way, I don't think most autistic people are ret*d.

As an LFAer,am was and still do get labelled as ret*d [even by parents], people mainly judge am as ret*d from non verbalism, having no sense of danger,accute meltdowns and rocking,these are not an intelligence thing,but they're constantly associated anyway.

And there are people [people who have had years of disability training] who still believe in the 'deaf means dumb' crap,at the LD institution am used to live in,one of the staff was always referring to one of the other autie ladies [who was profoundly deaf from birth] as being 'deaf and dumb',she was definitely not 'dumb',and she was very good at things like drawing but they never encouraged her strengths because they refused to see them.

It is almost impossible to judge retardation on an autie unless it's profound,even sensory extremes can make an autie seem ret*d,are still a long way off Autism understanding from both professionals and public.

As for person who called autistics ret*ds,it would seem it's better to be a "ret*d" than to have his level of 'profound ignorance'.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

greendeltatke
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2008, 10:50 am

There is a thread on Autism Vox about this guy. According to a poster who said they contacted the foundation, this guy never worked with any kids, period. He wasn't even a PR director. He was just a salesman and doesn't work there at all anymore. The foundation itself seems a bit suspicious.

lifeforsaken
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2008, 4:06 am

Yeah, we are behind in some aspects but many of us are far ahead in others. Is it ok for us to refer to NTs as "ret*ds" for being behind in some ways. I could read years before other kids could, for example.

Maybe the only idiots though are the people with no, or who think they have no disfunctions and choose to take an ignorant or hateful stance despite evidence to the contrary.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 9:40 pm

People are not so funny out in TV Land topic

I think Art Linkletter would have been outraged had he heard this idiot labeling anyone "ret*d". I hope this man has been outed to show himself to be the total ass that he has made of himself. When you behave badly things have a way of turning back on you. :shameonyou:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2008, 10:13 pm

"ret*d" has always been used in the context of IQ. And since social intelligence isn't particularly tested on the Wechsler, etc., except in very minor ways, then "ret*d" would not be accurately used to refer to social ability.

Although used more generally, someone will still understand what you're meaning.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 9:50 am

It takes one to know one. I find that people who use the word "ret*d" in a derogatory fashion and make fun of handicapped people are usually pretty dumb themselves, and mean on top of it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2008, 12:19 pm

His partner's even more of an idiot.