Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

RPM
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2008, 8:55 pm

Adam Jasinski of Big Brother who is a General Manager for United Autism Foundation referred to autistic kids as ret*ds, this is unacceptable.

Please write to these following addresses to express your disgust:

CBS Television
51 West 52nd Street
New York, NY 10019

United Autism Foundation
c/o Adam Jasinski
6538 Collins Ave # 465
Miami Beach, Fl 33141

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 9:18 pm

Do you have a weblink to find the comment in its context? That might help in articulating the disgust.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 9:37 pm

This guy was recenty outed as a fraud.

He is not an employee of the organization and has never worked with autistic kids. His friend, who is the president of the organization, is disgusted at the remarks made on the show.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 10:10 pm

How unacceptable is this!
People like this a-hole competing on a reality show should be removed ASAP!
Since he was outed as a fraud, he also should be convicted to the fullest extent of the law.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 10:17 pm

beau99 wrote:
He is not an employee of the organization and has never worked with autistic kids. His friend, who is the president of the organization, is disgusted at the remarks made on the show.

Quelle surprise.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 10:47 pm

It all depends on the context.

"ret*ds" can aptly fit autistic individuals, we're behind in a number of areas that our peers aren't held back in due to our neurological differences.

Now, if it's said in the context of derision, well, that's another thing as all humans have strengths and weaknesses; we're all unique and special as there's only one of us, and there's only ever going to be (I'm 99.9% certain of this).

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 11:20 pm

Danielismyname wrote:

"ret*ds" can aptly fit autistic individuals, we're behind in a number of areas that our peers aren't held back in due to our neurological differences.

Now, if it's said in the context of derision, well, that's another thing as all humans have strengths and weaknesses; we're all unique and special as there's only one of us, and there's only ever going to be (I'm 99.9% certain of this).

Yes, thank you.

Context, please?

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2008, 11:50 pm

oscuria wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:

Yes, thank you.

Context, please?

Something along the lines of "we built a hair salon for kids with special needs so the ret*ds can get it together and get their hair done", and when others confronted him about it, he said "I can call them whatever I want I work with them all day, okay?".

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNwuXRY8X7E[/youtube]

I don't know, but it sounded offensive to me. There are people saying that we should make CBS apologize, but I don't think so. I think CBS should make a statement about the comments, which is different, because CBS transmitted his comments, but also the other people's reactions, so they shouldn't apologize, but they should definitely release a statement about this.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 12:17 am

hadapurpura wrote:
Something along the lines of "we built a hair salon for kids with special needs so the ret*ds can get it together and get their hair done", and when others confronted him about it, he said "I can call them whatever I want I work with them all day, okay?".

It sounded like the girl who confronted him said, "Yeah, they're ret*d, but don't call them that." No one pointed out that autism is not a form of mental retardation. Of course, to call anyone a ret*d is disrespectful and should not be encouraged. I just hate to see yet another illustration of the stereotype that everyone on the spectrum fits the definition of mental retardation, as in low IQ, with the assumption that the individual's IQ can be accurately measured - IQ tests may be essentially meaningless for autistics anyway.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 12:38 am

lol, the guy's a tool.

He comes across as those religious types who throw money towards their congregation to show how pious they are.

"I do this for their benefit, I am better than you! What matters what I do?"

IdahoAspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 1:01 am

oscuria wrote:
lol, the guy's a tool.

He comes across as those religious types who throw money towards their congregation to show how pious they are.

"I do this for their benefit, I am better than you! What matters what I do?"

I would pick on this guy for calling Autistic people ret*d, but I don't believe in making fun of mentally disabled adults.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2008, 1:06 am

The term "ret*d" as a noun is derogitory regardless of the context. Even applied to mentally ret*d people, "ret*d" is used in a insulting way rather than an informative way. For that reason saying mentally ret*d or delayed is not the same thing. Just like the "N" word, it's not the meaning of the word that's so offensive, but the common attitudes and intentions of the people who used it in a hatefull or disrespectfull way. I don't think anyone who calls someone else a ret*d is being sensitive or respectfull, whether or not the person they are directing it at is mentally ret*d.

Also, even with LF autistic people, assuming they are ret*d in the traditional sense is highly debatable. Many years ago deaf people were also called dumb simply because no one tried to communicate with them in a way that they could process. Deaf people may be disabled, but most are not dumb. In the same way, I don't think most autistic people are ret*d.

RPM
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2008, 3:25 am

Last year I got into an argument on a website with this one girl who said autism is a form of mental retardation and I told her it's not and she acted as if she refused to listen and told me if the notion offended me then I shouldn't talk about it.

After this, I wrote a song called Autism Is Not ret*d, and right now I would like to dedicate this song to Adam.

Autism Is Not ret*d
Words and Music by Ryan McReynolds
Copyright 2007

1st verse:
You said Auties are ret*d
That is very untrue for me
You sound to me like a crack head
A good lesson is what you need

Chorus:
Autism is not ret*d
Auties like me aren’t invalids
Auties like me have had enough
Don’t you dare tell us to shut up

2nd verse:
Well have you heard of the bill of rights?
It gives me the freedom of speech
Many years I have had to fight
So I can speak what I believe
(Chorus)

3rd verse:
Don’t tell me I have to shut up
I know myself better than you
Don’t try to act like you’re so tough
Because you haven’t got a clue
(Chorus)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 3:34 am

Well, everyone with autism, no matter how well they do on standardized tests are socially ret*d; it comes with the disorder.

Quote:
re·tard 1 (r-tärd)
v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
v.tr.
To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
v.intr.
To be delayed.
n.
1. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
2. Music A slackening of tempo.

It's also mental retardation going by standardized tests for two-thirds of the individuals diagnosed with autistic disorder.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 4:02 am

Yeah but the word ret*d itself it derogatory and not very nice. Disabled is better perhaps- intellectually disabled, socially disabled etc.. but even these words seem to not have a good connotation.

Noone wants to think of themselves like that.

Anyway autistics and aspies may be slow in some areas but faster in other areas, so it is all relative.

Taking a break.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 4:20 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Well, everyone with autism, no matter how well they do on standardized tests are socially ret*d; it comes with the disorder.

I'm not.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar