Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 12:30 am

Wondering if there are any History majors on WP?

I'm a BAIS: Social Science for Education major at Mason

http://www.ncc.gmu.edu/

soljaboi51
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2008, 2:54 am

im 16 now, but when i enter college that will probobly be my major

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 1:30 pm

I'm glad to see a thread like this. I'm a junior major in History at a small all-women's liberal arts college in California. I hope to go on to graduate school in History after I graduate. My interests are in American History.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2008, 5:14 pm

I'm a senior in college and working on a history minor. Its nice to see some other people who are interested in history since people don't like it at all. My interest is world history and 17th century England.

daveybaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Feb 2008, 10:39 am

I'm a history major. I think there's actually been more history majors recently because history finally started happening after a long hiatus.

UnderThere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2008, 3:51 pm

Graduated with a History major, Psychology minor from Hollins University. :) I had to do a year long independent study and write a 90 page thesis to graduate. The cool part was the research...the sucky part was writing.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 8:47 pm

I love studying history simply because it's interesting, but when I go to college I'm going to major in a field where it's possible to actually get a job.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 8:51 pm

Orwell wrote:
I love studying history simply because it's interesting, but when I go to college I'm going to major in a field where it's possible to actually get a job.

Actually History majors can get you a job as a historian for companies even the government like the naval achieves.

I just want to be a professor at Mason because its something to help bring awareness to ASDs and giving back to my professors in return.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 9:48 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Actually History majors can get you a job as a historian for companies even the government like the naval achieves.

I just want to be a professor at Mason because its something to help bring awareness to ASDs and giving back to my professors in return.

Yes, I realize that, I was feeling a bit sarcastic when I posted. It's just that, outside of teaching, there are very few jobs in history. I love history, I find it fascinating and it certainly is a worthy field of study, but I want to work in a field that's a little more concrete.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 9:58 pm

Orwell wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Yes, I realize that, I was feeling a bit sarcastic when I posted. It's just that, outside of teaching, there are very few jobs in history. I love history, I find it fascinating and it certainly is a worthy field of study, but I want to work in a field that's a little more concrete.

History has different areas that you can be concrete like East Asia history or Middle Eastern History which sure deal for CIA. My dad studied Russian History and he been working for the CIA for 30 years.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:10 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
History has different areas that you can be concrete like East Asia history or Middle Eastern History which sure deal for CIA. My dad studied Russian History and he been working for the CIA for 30 years.

Point conceded. However, I still will study history simply because I find it interesting. My own career lies elsewhere.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:12 pm

My areas in history are American-Japanese Pacific and rest of WWII and the American Civil War.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 10:55 pm

Orwell wrote:
JerryHatake wrote:

Point conceded. However, I still will study history simply because I find it interesting. My own career lies elsewhere.

Same here. I'm currently taking Afro-American history, and it is a very fascinating course. As much as I enjoy studying history, my career will lie somewhere with the sciences (I'm currently studying biology).

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 8:47 am

i could never remember dates of things... and therefore struggled with exams and disliked class... though history is great!

but science ftw!

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2008, 9:00 am

History is a social science.

UnderThere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Feb 2008, 11:12 am

Ahhh...the social sciences. Critique everything in terms of race, class, and gender. :wink: Maybe, one day, we can critique history from a neurodiversity standpoint. Many more situations would make sense, I think.